Sayings That You Just Don't Get..

Options

Replies

• LeellenMack
    LeellenMack Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Ok so stupid but my friends play poker and when discussing the amount of the bet they say, it's $50.00 "all day"
    No it's not "all day" it's until the next bet or the next hand. WTH?
  • cole_carter
    cole_carter Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Irregardless !!!!!!!!
  • cole_carter
    Options
    Let me see if I can wrap my brain around this
  • cole_carter
    Options
    We are on the same page ....

--> How do you know?
  • cole_carter
    Options
    My co-worker drank the "Cool Aid"
  • cole_carter
    Options
    Its like putting lipstick on a pig
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Ducks in a row
  • liss125
    liss125 Posts: 77
    Options
    My co-worker drank the "Cool Aid"

I like drank the Kool Aid :)
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?

How are you getting the milk for free if you didn't buy the cow?!

I believe this refers sex and marriage.
    Why get married, why buy the cow
    When you already get sex, when you get the milk for free.
  • luvs2teachincali
    luvs2teachincali Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My mom had a friend that would end every statement or conversation by saying:

"On it."

So, she might say, "That was a great game. I can't believe Mark bowled a 220...... On it." Or "I went with Walt to the store and they had Pink Lady apples on sale. They were so good. You might want to go get some before the sale ends...... On it." Or whatever. Everything had ON IT at the end. You knew when she said "ON IT" she was done discussing that subject. Haha. Sure miss her.
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    "I could care less". Well yes, You could care less in fact. It should be "I couldn't care less."
    It burns my *kitten* to see it!

Lol... 'it burns my *kitten*'??? I don't get that!! :tongue:
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    "YOLO" aka "you only live once"

...obviously, but why would I use that to justify doing stupid and/or unsafe things? If I'm only living once I darned well better enjoy and protect what I've got.

Ahh, the youngsters' version of carpe diem.

I dead leg my kid brother every time I hear him use 'YOLO'....

I convinced a friend of mine that YOLO stood for "You Obviously Love Oreos." At the time, I didn't know what it meant, so I made that **** up.
  • Peta22
    Options
    Its like putting lipstick on a pig

I take this to mean 'whats the point?' They're saying that just by putting lipstick on a pig, your not going to hide the fact that its still a pig!
  • Peta22
    Options
    Ducks in a row

I believe this means to get organised... Put all your ducks in a row so you can quickly, easily shoot them down.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I've always been irritated by falling or tripping "head over heels." Your head is over your feet when u are upright, so when you visualize tumbling I would describe it as my heels going over my head. Or something like that.
  • Peta22
    Options
    Although not technically a "saying", it really bugs me when people say "with" without finishing the sentance. As in:

"I'm going to the store, wanna go with?" OR "Dad went fishing and took the dog with."

with who?? with what?? :angry: Just because it might go without saying, doesn't mean you shouldnt say it. :grumble:

Bahahahahahahaha! Love it! :laugh:
  • chubbygirl253
    Options
    You can lead a gift horse to water, but you can't look him in the mouth...????:noway:

That's two different sayings mixed up!
    You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
    Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. (which I have always thought was stupid)
  • Peta22
    Options
    "Yada, yada, yada". If you've run out of words, just put a period at the end of your statement. You're wasting my time. Also, I have the attention span of a fruit fly. You just lost m

SQUIRREL!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Love it! :laugh: :laugh:
  • chubbygirl253
    Options
    When people say 'unthaw' or 'dethaw' instead of saying 'thaw'. It's used widely where I live. I know it's not a saying, but I'm sure it drives grammar freaks crazy.

yep, I agree. That's irritating. And also when people say "anyways" instead of anyway. Or spell a lot as if it's one word. (alot) It's two words. A lot or a little.
  • Mceastes
    Mceastes Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    "The exception proves the rule."

Wouldn't the exception disprove the rule? I've never understood this saying.

This has always bothered me! All of the other sayings listed so far are annoying or just stupid, but at least I get what they are trying to convey. "The exception proves the rule" makes no sense to me. What am I missing???