Thoughts on Diet Coke

Options

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Probably harmless, the FDA is happy with it.

I will, however, state a non-medical personal two-part opinion on sweet drinks which you may take or ignore as you like.

Chemicals are our friends. We use chemicals every day for a variety of ways to benefit our bodies. I submit that using a chemical to make a drink sweet may not be an optimal use if you can learn to do without it. There's a near-zero chance that aspartame is hurting your weight loss, but a zero chance that unsweetened water would.

I found when I was drinking soda frequently that the daily ingestion of something sweet exacerbated my cravings for other sweet things, even if that sweet was from a zero-calorie sweetener. I switched from full-sugar soda to diet, and didn't notice much of a difference. When I gave up soda entirely, my outlook on food underwent a pretty dramatic change for the better. In my personal experience, which may or may not match yours, I find things like donuts and sweets a lot easier to resist now that the diet soda monkey is off my back. I also enjoy the actual taste of sweet things more but get tired of the sweetness sooner, and therefore can get by with a lot less of them to satisfy what cravings I do have. My overall diet is a lot cleaner, and it wasn't really much of a conscious effort on my part once the diet soda went bye-bye.

I agree with this perspective. Thanks

I really hate to jump into the fray, but this states my experience exactly. I have NEVER been successful on a diet until I gave up Diet Pepsi. Maybe other things are working this time, but it's very strange that after years of not being able to stop my self from eating and binging on sweets, I don't want them anymore. Maybe just a strange twist of fate. Who knows. I'm happy!
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's bad for me but quitting pop has actually been harder for me than quitting smoking which I managed in one try and have been smoke free for 8.5 years. Diet pop has allowed me to stay on target with my calories and I will probably continue to drink it.

Here's a thought! If you can clean auto battery terminals with it! it's probably bad for your digestive system!
  • BlurtLouder
    BlurtLouder Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'd been drinking a can per day for a year until last month, when I switched to carbonated water. Now that I've stopped, I do think the sweetener was just making me hungry.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Oddly, I have never been into fizzy drinks. I avoid them at all costs, and opt for water if I go anywhere where I have to have a cold drink. I have never been able to understand how anyone could get hooked on drinking cola or the like.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Soooo good with Old Sam Rum!!!! num num num:drinker:
  • Avasmama2000
    Avasmama2000 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I love a good diet coke at least once a day but I had heard the chemicals are not great for the body. But then, again, I was living on multiple packets of Equal a day for my coffee/cereal/anything that needed sweetening until just recently. I switched to brown sugar or Sugar In The Raw and I hope that'll be better for me in the long run...
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    What would I put my rum in?
    Seriously this is the only time I drink soda. :drinker:
  • hothodgie
    hothodgie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have one can a day, sometimes two on the weekends and I am home. I drink water the rest of the day though. I was drinking a six pack of it a day prior to starting this. I cut it way down because of the sodium, but no other reason.
  • MrsAFR
    MrsAFR Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My vice in life! Love it! Especially when it comes from Sonic Drive In! Route 44 Diet Coke w/ easy ice! :flowerforyou:

i love your dog i have a shih tzu but he's golden
  • MrsAFR
    MrsAFR Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks people who knew there were so many opinions on Diet Coke!
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I drink it sometimes, not daily and only in addition to my regular water intake, not as a replacement.
    Back in my starve myself thin days I would exist on diet coke and salad alone. It definitely didn't make me fat then, although I was grouchy as hell!
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    Aspartame, known as "NutraSweet" and "Equal," is safe. Aspartame is one of the most thoroughly tested substances in the U.S. food supply. Numerous authorities, including the Food and Drug Administration, the Joint Expert Committee on Food Additives of the FAO/WHO, the European Community, and the American Medical Association have concluded that aspartame is a safe product, except in the rare cases of phenylketonuria. For more information on aspartame, please refer to ACSH's peer-reviewed booklet, "Low Calorie Sweeteners" and beware of Internet health hoaxes.

If you don't want to drink it, don't.
    THIS. But of course the "anti" aspartame crowd will say there's a conspiracy with any SCIENTIFIC and MEDICAL studies that prove it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

What do you think of this study......

http://healthland.time.com/2011/06/29/studies-why-diet-sodas-are-no-boon-to-dieters/
    Correlation. There's no references to diet, activity, stress factor (like loss of a loved one, loss of a job), compensation for age. It's nice to read, but not conclusive enough to say that aspartame was the cause.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I agree 100%. It is important when reading "scientific" studies to read the ACTUAL study being quoted by some journalist. Always follow the money trail. This study was funded by ARRA (American Recovery and Investment Act) in 2009. The participants (474 of them) were older adults and this was a study on AGING diabetics. It is a PILOT project by Fernandes Gabriel, PhD. The funds were meant to help stimulate the economy. The study lists the POTENTIAL impact of aspartame in rodents and humans, but all participants were part of a study of aging. I am in this age group and I can tell you that we have NATURALLY slower metabolisms due to our age and less muscle mass than our younger friends. The results were presented to the ADA, but they have not changed their position that aspartame is safe. The study really is not representative of the general population, just older diabetics. They give the results 9+ years later. The participants had larger waists; however, they were also still alive and not dead from drinking "chemicals."
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I prefer Coke Zero, if and when I do drink soda. Too many bubbles. I prefer lime aide made with Splenda(it dissolves better than sugar in cold temperatures)

Coke Zero is exactly the same as Diet Coke. It's just branded differently so men will buy it and still be able to feel macho....
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I prefer Coke Zero, if and when I do drink soda. Too many bubbles. I prefer lime aide made with Splenda(it dissolves better than sugar in cold temperatures)

Coke Zero is exactly the same as Diet Coke. It's just branded differently so men will buy it and still be able to feel macho....

Not true. They're made with different sweeteners. I usually drink Coke Zero and when I go somewhere that only serves diet Coke I can definitely taste the difference.
  • PHATmommy68
    PHATmommy68 Posts: 112
    Options
    I totally gave up diet soda (regular soda too) 12 days ago and started drinking iced tea sweetened with Splenda. Feeling 1000 times better than before I quit
  • SteveCabral94
    SteveCabral94 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Drink water, Green Tea or natural juice. Stay away from all that fake stuff. That includes the splenda and all of that.
  • PHATmommy68
    PHATmommy68 Posts: 112
    Options
    Drink water, Green Tea or natural juice. Stay away from all that fake stuff. That includes the splenda and all of that.

Splenda is NOT fake! Its natural sugar
  • Minoesh
    Minoesh Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I use diet coke to strip the finish off of my golf clubs (wedges). The stuff literally eats off the finish......it's better than CLR.

In terms of drinking it, see what I just said.

Lol, I love this! One of the reasons I avoid Coke and Diet Coke is because I used to use it to clean the terminals on my car battery years ago! I had a little Beetle and whenever the battery gave me a hard time I would just pour the stuff on the terminals and watch it eat away at the battery acid - figured if it would do that to battery acid, what on earth could it do to my insides!!? :laugh:
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    All this talk about diet coke makes think of that one skit Gabriel Ingesias did. For those of you not familiar with him, he is a comedian that often makes jokes about his weight (he is really big). And during this one show, he was saying how people make fun of him for being big, and his failed attempts to lose weight. Apparently someone asked him how come he drinks diet soda and Gabriel's reply was "So I can eat regular cake!"

I think from now on that will be my excuse for drinking diet cola!
  • opsniht
    opsniht Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I don't mind diet coke, though I only have once every other day at the max. I usually go for tea or water.