Thoughts on Diet Coke

Options
18910111214»

Replies

• rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I have it about once a month...It's perfect when I want something sweet-ish to sip but don't want fruit. I'm not a big soda person anyway but I look forward to it when I do have it. I prefer Diet Pepsi but they're both fine.
  • shae68143
    shae68143 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I know there is a lot of research into aspartame and the effects on weight loss and metabolism. I do drink one can a day. I had a break for 5 years from all caffeine related products because I thought they were exasperating another condition and previous to that I did drink a lot and lost a lot of weight.

What are your thoughts on it. I drink mainly sugar free squash the rest of the time and the odd hot drink.

A. To me, Diet Coke tastes like liquified buttholes.
    B. In 20 years, aspartame will be the Agent Orange and asbestos of our generation.
    C. Cute baby.

OMG, I LITERALLY just laughed out loud at your A) response!! Right on, I am in complete agreement with you - aside from the liquid buttholes - I have no jurisdiction there.
  • lynnprice
    lynnprice Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am a diet coke *kitten*. I love it I love it I love it.

However, I have seen the light and realize that it's really just poison. There's nothing in it (other than water) that I want to put into my body.

So, I've ended things with all things 'diet'. My heart is broken and and I'm jonesing with this big HUGE sweet tooh of a monkey on my back. I wish I'd never gotten so dependant on the artificial sweetners. Ever Ever Ever

My two cents
  • Huggybearz75
    Huggybearz75 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My thoughts on Diet Coke...poison. Aspartame is a neurotoxin. It's approval was the most contested in FDA history and it has had the most health complaints. Lots of people are obviously having health concerns/problems because of this ingredient. I know it can happen because I have seen the effects of it first hand. I know for a fact that Diet Coke can cause neurological problems. No matter what "studies" the government pays for it to say otherwise.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Leak calcium off your bone!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    diet soda tastes like poison.
  • Here2GetFit
    Here2GetFit Posts: 292
    Options
    diet soda tastes like poison.

You have drank both to compare?
  • brendajbentley
    brendajbentley Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Not sure this is already covered - I didn't read through everything...

Diet drinks effect your body's insulin levels just the same, but because there is no calorie payoff - you will have the propensity to eat something. Studies show that diet drinks actually attribute to weight gain. You are better off drinking the real stuff if you are. But remember, sugar is an inflammatory - this basically means that if you are looking to reduce, well - this isn't helping.

Loads of sources - here's a good one: http://www.womentowomen.com/inflammation/causes.aspx
  • 13inchestogo
    13inchestogo Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    People are gonna drink what they like, but buying a juicer or just drinking plain old beautiful fresh water is the best for your body to thrive off of. Diet pops and pops in general are pretty much the devil for achieving maximum health. I agree with moderation. But me personally I stopped drinking that stuff when I was 12 and I don't miss it one bit. :)
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I've actually learned that diet sodas are worse for you than regulars. The "0 calorie" kind of fools you. In diet sodas, the synthetic sugars don't mesh well with the enzymes you have in your stomach. This causes you to bloat and expand in your waist, and you'll gain the weight in your mid-section, which is the worst part of your body to carry your weight. Just saying :)
    You don't have enzymes in your stomach. The hydrochloric acid would devour it. Just sayin'. Lol, lots of pseudoscience here.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

No, I learned this in AP Biology, actually. I know all of what I said isn't straight, but it's something along those lines.
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    There are many theories, just like any other scientific study. I found a great article that gave a pretty simple breakdown of the theories and why or why not diet sodas could be bad for you.

Here's the link:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/diet-sodas-and-weight-gain-not-so-fast
  • lwagnitz
    Options
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    I've actually learned that diet sodas are worse for you than regulars. The "0 calorie" kind of fools you. In diet sodas, the synthetic sugars don't mesh well with the enzymes you have in your stomach. This causes you to bloat and expand in your waist, and you'll gain the weight in your mid-section, which is the worst part of your body to carry your weight. Just saying :)
    You don't have enzymes in your stomach. The hydrochloric acid would devour it. Just sayin'. Lol, lots of pseudoscience here.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

No, I learned this in AP Biology, actually. I know all of what I said isn't straight, but it's something along those lines.
    And you DO have enzymes in your stomach.. they're called PEPTIN.. they breakdown protein. However, I don't know the scientific information to why Peptin and diet sodas don't mesh well, but if I remember correctly, which I'm not sure I do, I think it is because it initiates the body to create more of these enzymes which isn't healthy for the body. That's why it's good to eat raw food because raw food produces it's own enzymes, therefore your body doesn't need to use it's own.... Not pseudoscience, basic facts.
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Stomach

The enzymes that are secreted in the stomach are called gastric enzymes. The stomach plays a major role in digestion, both in a mechanical sense by mixing and crushing the food, and also in an enzymatic sense, by digesting it. The following are the enzymes produced by the stomach and their respective function:

Pepsinogen is the main gastric enzyme. It is produced by the stomach cells called "chief cells" in its inactive form pepsinogen, which is a zymogen. Pepsinogen is then activated by the stomach acid into its active form, pepsin. Pepsin breaks down the protein in the food into smaller particles, such as peptide fragments and amino acids. Protein digestion, therefore, first starts in the stomach, unlike carbohydrate and lipids, which start their digestion in the mouth.
    Hydrochloric acid (HCl): This is in essence positively charged hydrogen atoms (H), or in lay-terms stomach acid, and is produced by the cells of the stomach called parietal cells. HCl mainly functions to denature the proteins ingested, to destroy any bacteria or virus that remains in the food, and also to activate pepsinogen into pepsin.
    Intrinsic factor (IF): Intrinsic factor is produced by the parietal cells of the stomach. Vitamin B12 (Vit. B12) is an important vitamin that requires assistance for absorption in terminal ileum. Initially in the saliva, haptocorrin secreted by salivary glands binds Vit. B, creating a Vit B12-Haptocorrin complex. The purpose of this complex is to protect Vitamin B12 from hydrochoric acid produced in the stomach. Once the stomach content exits the stomach into the duodenum, haptocorrin is cleaved with pancreatic enzymes, releasing the intact vitamin B12. Intrinsic factor (IF) produced by the parietal cells then binds Vitamin B12, creating a Vit. B12-IF complex. This complex is then absorbed at the terminal portion of the ileum.
    Mucin: The stomach has a priority to destroy the bacteria and viruses using its highly acidic environment but also has a duty to protect its own lining from its acid. The way that the stomach achieves this is by secreting mucin and bicarbonate via its mucous cells, and also by having a rapid cell turn-over.
    Gastrin: This is an important hormone produced by the "G cells" of the stomach. G cells produce gastrin in response to stomach stretching occurring after food enters it, and also after stomach exposure to protein. Gastrin is an endocrine hormone and therefore enters the bloodstream and eventually returns to the stomach where it stimulates parietal cells to produce hydrochloric acid (HCl) and Intrinsic factor (IF)
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    Stomach

The enzymes that are secreted in the stomach are called gastric enzymes. The stomach plays a major role in digestion, both in a mechanical sense by mixing and crushing the food, and also in an enzymatic sense, by digesting it. The following are the enzymes produced by the stomach and their respective function:

Pepsinogen is the main gastric enzyme. It is produced by the stomach cells called "chief cells" in its inactive form pepsinogen, which is a zymogen. Pepsinogen is then activated by the stomach acid into its active form, pepsin. Pepsin breaks down the protein in the food into smaller particles, such as peptide fragments and amino acids. Protein digestion, therefore, first starts in the stomach, unlike carbohydrate and lipids, which start their digestion in the mouth.
    Hydrochloric acid (HCl): This is in essence positively charged hydrogen atoms (H), or in lay-terms stomach acid, and is produced by the cells of the stomach called parietal cells. HCl mainly functions to denature the proteins ingested, to destroy any bacteria or virus that remains in the food, and also to activate pepsinogen into pepsin.
    Intrinsic factor (IF): Intrinsic factor is produced by the parietal cells of the stomach. Vitamin B12 (Vit. B12) is an important vitamin that requires assistance for absorption in terminal ileum. Initially in the saliva, haptocorrin secreted by salivary glands binds Vit. B, creating a Vit B12-Haptocorrin complex. The purpose of this complex is to protect Vitamin B12 from hydrochoric acid produced in the stomach. Once the stomach content exits the stomach into the duodenum, haptocorrin is cleaved with pancreatic enzymes, releasing the intact vitamin B12. Intrinsic factor (IF) produced by the parietal cells then binds Vitamin B12, creating a Vit. B12-IF complex. This complex is then absorbed at the terminal portion of the ileum.
    Mucin: The stomach has a priority to destroy the bacteria and viruses using its highly acidic environment but also has a duty to protect its own lining from its acid. The way that the stomach achieves this is by secreting mucin and bicarbonate via its mucous cells, and also by having a rapid cell turn-over.
    Gastrin: This is an important hormone produced by the "G cells" of the stomach. G cells produce gastrin in response to stomach stretching occurring after food enters it, and also after stomach exposure to protein. Gastrin is an endocrine hormone and therefore enters the bloodstream and eventually returns to the stomach where it stimulates parietal cells to produce hydrochloric acid (HCl) and Intrinsic factor (IF)

Thank you.