Healthy waist size - how do you measure up?

Options

Replies

• bcmlam1001
    bcmlam1001 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    27.5" Healthy Waste. I participate in a WellnessPlus program sponsered by my emplyoyer and we have wellness checkups once a year and mine was this measurement in April.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    My waist is 36" so I have a ways to go. I used to have a 44" waist so I guess I have made quite a bit of progress. *sigh*
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure how you should accurately measure your waist. I measure mine at the widest point I can find which is right at my belly button and across my obliques.
  • mrsrobinsonlauraj
    mrsrobinsonlauraj Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Nuffield Health has issued the results of a study in which it measured British people's waist sizes and compared them to what is considered a healthy waist size. There's an infographic here:
    http://www.nuffieldhealth.com/sites/default/files/inline/Nuffield-Health-infographic-large.pdf

I see you are quoting a British survey and not American. I have many friends in Europe who are very thin, mainly because they have great portion control. We here in America can not use this information as a true tool unless we are eating such small (actually normal) food portions. When my friends visit from Europe they are appalled at the amount of food served when eating out. Super size is normal here.
  • dakota1978
    dakota1978 Posts: 11
    Options
    I guess I'm built weird. I have a lot of weight to lose still, but my waist is 29". Most of my weight is in my hips, thighs, and butt.

Same here!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    28". I don't think waist is a good measurement of health for women because our shapes vary so much. I think neck circumference is supposed to be a better gauge.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    24" waist

All my extra weight is in the upper arms and my legs.
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    This isn't a good method at all but I'm around 27-28".

I literally can't go any smaller than that because of my ribs and I'm sure it's the same for many.
  • Jigglebewie
    Jigglebewie Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I'm 34.5" at the moment and30/31 is what I'm aiming for =]
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I bet men gave their pant size rather than measure. 33.4 is awfully close to a standard 34" pant.
    after having lost weight and having to shop for clothes i'm not sure there is a 'standard' pant any more. some pants I wear are 36 (loose but wearable) i put on a pair of 32 jeans an they literally fell off my hips... and i bought a pair of 3o jeans. most comfortable in 32-33 now but I think my waist size measures about 35 or 36ish..
  • tcm118
    tcm118 Posts: 54
    Options
    At 5'5", my waist is between 29.5" and 30.5" depending on the time of day. My weight falls below my navel and especially in my butt and thighs.
  • RainxPain
    RainxPain Posts: 152
    Options
    I'm 5'4, 138ish with a 27 inch waist :D Wanting a 22-24 inch waist though.
  • towsongrad
    towsongrad Posts: 39
    Options
    I'm about 5'4, hourglass figure and my waist is 29"..not trying to loose a whole lot of inches in my waist because its already small for my shape but maybe looking to loose 2 more inches..definitely didn't know that about waist averages..thought it would be much smaller for women
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    My waist is 26", but I'm only 5ft so it makes me look alot bigger. I really want to get to a 23" waist though. I gain all my weight on my hips, thighs, stomach and bum:( lol
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I'm 32 inches at the moment.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    This isn't a good method at all but I'm around 27-28".

I literally can't go any smaller than that because of my ribs and I'm sure it's the same for many.

I'm the same way. I was in physical therapy one time and 3 therapist commented on how big my rib cage was. :/ I guess I'm not too upset over it because I have a relatively small waist for my size.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    My last measure at the smallest part of the waist was between 25 & 26.
  • shani251
    shani251 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm built weird. I have a lot of weight to lose still, but my waist is 29". Most of my weight is in my hips, thighs, and butt.

Me too - i'm a total hourglass - 26" waist and 38" hips! eek! lol
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    The average man has a waist size of 92.7cm (33.4") compared to a healthy size of 94cm (37") - yes, the average man has a waist size less than the healthy measurement!

Given the higher levels of obesity in men, I wonder if this was self-reported and all the men hoiked the tape measure up under their bellies...?
    My view on this study is, as a belt maker I know that men go by the size of their trousers, so if they are wearing a size 38 pair of trousers they think their waist is 38 inches. However trouser sizes, like belts, do not reflect the true waist size. When I make an online order for a custom belt, I always add 4 ½ inches to the waist size given. Because a person wearing a pair of 38inch trousers actually has a 40 to 41 inch waist.
    Anyone who doesn’t believe me, get a tape and check it out for themselves. Take a tape and measure from the hole in the belt with the most wear to the bar (that’s the bit where the leather folds over the metal part of the buckle). You’ll find it is probably at least 2 inches more than the trouser size.
    So most men would not bother measuring just quote their trouser size.
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    30!
    Was 32.
    Hopefully smaller eventually.