Healthy waist size - how do you measure up?

Options
123457»

Replies

• clairyfairy247
    clairyfairy247 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    My waist is about a 27/28 :)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    My view on this study is, as a belt maker I know that men go by the size of their trousers, so if they are wearing a size 38 pair of trousers they think their waist is 38 inches. However trouser sizes, like belts, do not reflect the true waist size. When I make an online order for a custom belt, I always add 4 ½ inches to the waist size given. Because a person wearing a pair of 38inch trousers actually has a 40 to 41 inch waist.
    Anyone who doesn’t believe me, get a tape and check it out for themselves. Take a tape and measure from the hole in the belt with the most wear to the bar (that’s the bit where the leather folds over the metal part of the buckle). You’ll find it is probably at least 2 inches more than the trouser size.
    So most men would not bother measuring just quote their trouser size.
    Thanks for professional confirmation of what I've suspected for a while! Not to mention the guys who get away with a much smaller size because they have their waist band under their expanding bellies...
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    The average [British] man has a waist size of 92.7cm (33.4") compared to a healthy size of 94cm (37") - yes, the average man has a waist size less than the healthy measurement!

Not most of the loud, obnoxious, aggressive Brits I see stumbling out of the bars here in Prague into the bordellos. They are almost all overweight. With most of the extra mass in their bellies.

I was recently flying to London and going through security. There was a pack of Brits flying back, no doubt after a long weekend of debauchery. The lady at security asked one of the Brits to remove his fanny pack that was around his waist before going through the metal detector. He looked confused. She kept pointing to his midsection, asking him in broken English to remove the fanny pack under his shirt. Confused, he lifted up his shirt to show a huge mass of fat overhanging his belt, which she had mistaken for a fanny pack. All the lads got a chuckle out of that...

--P
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8, and my waist is 36 inches. :( my hips are 48.
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    30 in waist, 36in hips.

I always thought 30in was large for a waist size but I'm not hourglass shaped, my hips and waist don't tend to be hugely different. Always wished I had those curves :(
  • HannahsReturnToFitness
    Options
    My waist is 71cm (27.95 inches)
  • wavedancer123
    wavedancer123 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am 41" ..........so have some way to go, but will get there.
  • wellbur
    wellbur Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    My waist is 29", although i have lost 16lb, my waist hasn't gone done that much i think is was 31" when i started. Maybe its my age. My hips are 36" .
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Mines is 34 I'm 5ft4 (44/34/44) currently, I want to get it back down to 28 but that's not going to be happening any time soon lol
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    28.5", but I'm nearly at 28" :)

I would like to get it as small as possible while still maintaining my large hips.

ETA; I started at 36" and my hips are currently 43.5" (started at 47")
  • momto1g1b
    momto1g1b Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Mine is 27" - I'd like to lose another 0.5-1"

I'm 5'5.5"
  • Rosalyn94
    Rosalyn94 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    5'8 and Waist is 31 ins. In the healthy range even though i'm overweight. Would love a smaller number though. I'm trying!
  • apparatus195316
    apparatus195316 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm at 27 right now and my goal is 25.
    12lbs to GW!

Had to update my own post - 26 inches now, and 11lbs to GW!

:glasses:
  • KuroNyankoSensei
    KuroNyankoSensei Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    26 . . . I think, haven't measured myself in a while. I'd like to get back down to 24 again. It might be even smaller than that when I get down to my goal weight ^^.
  • LittleButMightyOne
    Options
    I'm 5'4, 120.8 lbs, and my measurements are 34-24.4-34.5. I want to whittle my waist down to about 22 inches, which is the same as Megan Fox, who is also my height. :)
  • gnat45
    gnat45 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4, 120.8 lbs, and my measurements are 34-24.4-34.5. I want to whittle my waist down to about 22 inches, which is the same as Megan Fox, who is also my height. :)

When I was at goal, I was 35-25-35

I'm not that now.