I don't like veggies or exercise :(

Options

Replies

• Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of people who dont like veggies, until you get the right ones cooked the right way.

a couple sample, tomato onion and asparagus salad with a nice dressing,
    roasted pepper with fresh thyme and rosemary
    spaghetti squash with meat sauce

Eventually you have to educate yourself to the taste of veggies, but trust me I used to not eat a lot of veggies and no fruits two years ago, today I love veggies and fruits.

Same for exercising except that it came faster, after a month or so I started liking it, within six month I was hooked!
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have learned to love exercise, there are days that I dont want to but force myself or if chosen not to, eat less. There are some veggies I dislike and will not eat and some I choose not to eat (like carrots, I prefer not to eat them). I learned to incorporate my favorite veggies in with my meals, although I still dont get enough.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't worry about people and comments about not getting enough of whatever from diet. I eat very little veggies and NON (well with the exception of asparagus) out of a can and/or even frozen. It's fresh or nothing and I don't even do that very often and it's always been that way. I take my vitamins every day. The only thing I lack is Iron and me and Iron do NOT get along.
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I LOVE veggies. LOVE LOVE LOVE. You actually become accustomed to eating healthy food, and it becomes something you desire rather than something to hate. It's an exposure thing. Your taste buds and body will react to what is available to it for nutrients. I actually really hate most super greasy or super heavy foods now. I will eat them now and again, but in very small portions and fill up on salad (not loaded down with dressing, just a little. Too much dressing just adds calories back and you start to like plain lettuce, too).

I use to hate asparagus and now I like that, too. I found that it was overcooked when I was young, and that was why I didn't like it.
    Start slow. Start eating salads in place of a piece of bread on the side for dinner, or adding a veggie to whatever you are making and then start to add in more. You may find that you like it.
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    For me it was just finding the way I liked some veggies prepared.

Maybe you should get one of those cookbooks that tell you how to hide veggies into other foods for kids. Cook potatoes and cauliflower together for healthier mashed potatoes. Things like that.

I cook a ton of veggies up with pasta for dinner. It's how I get to still eat pasta.
  • AmeliaHatton
    Options
    I don't like veggies either; I'm more a fruit person even though fruit has a lot of sugar. I've learned to like corn and green beans, though, so maybe try those with a little bit of salt on them. You can even just start adding them into your diet slowly, there's no rush. If you still can't bring yourself to eat them, look into taking vegetable substances or sneaking veggies into meals that you do enjoy..soups, etc. Any bit counts!

As for exercise, you will start to like it. When you start seeing major results and feeling better all the way around, exercise will just become part of your daily routine, and when you skip it, you will miss it. Exercising truly makes you feel better about yourself. You start to feel cleaner, stronger, healthier, and more energetic.

Good luck and try not to get discouraged! We all do, so when you need some motivation, let me know! We all need to do this together!

P.S. I have lost 27 pounds so far, 14 of them using myfitnesspal. I'm not sure if many people would recommend this, but it's been working for me so far. I eat whatever I want! As long as I stay under my calorie limit, I eat that piece of chocolate I'm craving or go out to eat with my friends and not order a salad. If you know you're going out to dinner later in the day, exercise and eat better throughout the day so that you can order whatever you want and still be under your calorie limit. I always look up the nutritional information of whatever I'm going to order later and add it in even before I eat it. That way, I know where I'll stand at the end of the day and will make sure I exercise enough to cover it. If you still end up going over, make it up the next day. If I went over 500 Monday, I add 500 Quick Add calories the next day and just eat what I have remaining. I got that idea from Weight Watchers, because when you have points left, you can use them throughout the day.

Cutting out everything you enjoy and adding everything you hate will make this journey miserable and probably impossible. I've been battling my weight for so long because I had the same mindset as you seem to have, but once I learned that you can still eat what you want (but in proportions), you'll still get the results you want.

If you need any help, please don't hesitate to ask! Sorry this is so long, but hopefully it helps some. Good luck!
  • scott1646
    scott1646 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    When I cook vegetables for dinner, I season them with a salt free garlic and pepper and it makes it so enjoyable, sometimes I will marinate them overnight which can be pretty amazing taste wise. Carrots , Zucchini and asparagus would have to be my favorites.

I used to not really care for vegetables for a long time, until I altered the taste of them, not all veggies taste good on there own. =P

Exercise for me. I look at how much I move around in the day if I can't make it to the gym ( I have spine complications and a shifted hip, which tends to make working out at a gym a big no no). I use a pedometer as a motivational tool and just give myself a goal of 4k steps during a work week and 2k on my day off. Walking around for 30/60minutes a day can be huge, I have two complications I have to deal with my hip and my spine, but I still find a way to at least move around the best I can with pain I have to endure.

Exercise is not one of my favorite things to do when I first tried it out, but that changed.

For example when I go to the gym after I'm done working out, my metabolism is off the charts and my energy level is pretty great for at least 4+ hours. Of course, the first week of going to the gym I was pretty sore due to working out parts of my body I usually don't, but after the second week in, my body was fine with it and it's a pretty amazing feeling. The more you do it, the less it feels like work. =)
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Sneak vegetables into things. I use spaghetti squash instead of pasta, kale instead of potatoes for chips, a spinach instead of plain lettuce in salads, beans instead of taco meat, etc. I also make a chili chock-full of veggies and barely even notice their individual tastes. V8 and SunRype both make really good fruit/vegetable juices that can help you get the vitamins you need, but always watch your calories carefully when you're drinking them.

Try new vegetables, or new ways of preparing vegetables. The key here is to be open-minded; if you don't like carrots, that doesn't automatically mean you don't like carrots glazed with cinnamon and brown sugar, and if you don't like zucchini, that doesn't automatically mean you don't like breaded baked zucchini sticks. (These are obviously not very healthy and not something I would recommend in the long term, but it's a good way to introduce yourself to the taste of vegetables and help change your mindset.)

Other things I have had success feeding to self-proclaimed vegetable-haters include broccoli with cheese sauce, Asian vegetable blends stir-fried with a meat of choice and served with egg noodles, garlic butter mashed cauliflower, blanched green beans with sliced almonds, pumpkin muffins, and bacon-wrapped grilled asparagus. Look up recipes that already suit your tastes, get adventurous, and get cooking. If you don't end up liking them, you at least won't mind them.

As for exercise, I kind of know where you're coming from; I don't hate doing it, but I find it very hard to do since I get panic attacks and ridiculous amounts of soreness if I push myself even the tiniest bit too far. I only really "work out" once a week when I go swimming laps, and even then I can't go for very long and my burns are always unimpressive. I try to make a point of walking or cycling to run my errands, and that usually gets me an hour of light exercise every day on top of the hour or two I spend flitting around the house cooking and cleaning. Little things like housework and walking are definitely not going to get you ripped, but they're enough to keep you healthy.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Vegetables, as someone else said, are somewhat of an acquired taste, but really the secret is learning how to prepare them and finding ones you like. There are way too many vegetables to choose from for you not to like any or feel like you have to choke down ones you do not like. Spinach tastes good lightly salted and sauteed with garlic. Sweet potatoes taste great baked and eaten with a pat of butter and sprinkled with cinnamon. Or you can eat eat vegetable soup or eat things like carrot sticks and sliced bell pepper with hummus. I think the mistake a lot of people make is thinking they have to eat vegetables plain. You don't. They usually won't taste good. I know I wouldn't like unseasoned meat.

That's a really good point... I season my meat every time I eat it... why not veggies... I just don't like pairing them with something processed... (ok, really I do... because I love processed and high sodium dip and things like that with veggies but am mainly trying to get away from sodium and processed foods as much as I can... ) But you make a good point... I don't choke down anything else without seasoning it... why do i feel like I need to do it for veggies?

As far as fruit goes... I LOVE fruit in fact the only fruit I've tried that I dont' like is grapefruit (ok I don't like tomatoes either, but while I know technically they are considered a fruit, I still consider them a vegetable) I just don't like all the sugar that comes with fruit.
  • Girl_Bomb
    Girl_Bomb Posts: 195
    Options
    you stick it out and then you learn to love it.

force yourself for a while and then you will start craving the endorphins and the "high" you get from a good workout

also, stay motivated, pinterest is a really good website for workouts and pictures and motivation, FITSPERATION!!

and veggies, dont eat em plain, get creative man, it took me my whole life to like sweet potatoes then one day (recently) i took yet another dreaded bite and now im obsessed.

SPICES AND LOW FAT DIPS ARE YOUR NEW BEST FRIENDS!

it took my sister a 2 week detox cleanse to get herself to start eating veggies, it forced her to try everything and rely on them.
    also, dont be negative!
  • Jeliwood
    Jeliwood Posts: 61
    Options
    Have you been tested to see if perhaps you're a super taster? Super tasters have more taste receptors on their tongue so they taste things more strongly, like bitter and tart. Most STs don't like veg.

My mother and my sister in law are STs. They tend towards blander foods or things that are extremely sweet. My SIL is 5'10 and probably close to 325lbs, if not more because of it. The only reason my mother isn't is because you has an extremely active job.

There are degrees of it and if you can figure it out maybe you can figure out to work around it. (Like putting veggies in smoothies)

The exercise thing is what most people are saying... you just have to find the one right for you. I'm loving cardio at the gym because it's my alone time where I can listen to my books on tape. I don't love the strength training but I'm loving the results. Perhaps you should try something like karate or kick boxing. It's a ton of fun (I use to be an instructor) because you get to be around other people and you get active without it being a total core.
  • divinebird
    divinebird Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have always adored veggies, so eating them has never been an issue. Exercise, however...well, that was another story. I recommend you ease into it. Don't make every change--start by doing something fun and go from there. You don't HAVE to join a gym and do the machines and the treadmill. I've lost 14 lbs in less than 2 months and I have YET to do an official "workout". Maybe approach it from an angle of "it's so nice out, let's go for a walk and enjoy the sunshine" instead of 'ugh, I have to EXERCISE."
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    honestly I think if we all thought our life depended on eating things that are good for your body and exercising we may think twice about saying we "hate" something and "won't" do it.

but it's a personal choice. not exercising and not eating things I "hated" wasn't working for me. My life actually DEPENDS on this now.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I LOVE veggies - some of my favorites are broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, spaghetti squash, mushrooms, onions, carrots, peas, sweet potatoes.... also love beans & lentils!

and I LOVE exercise.

I do not love these things because I have to. I love these things because I have developed a passion for them. I have developed a passion for a healthy lifestyle. It never was a diet. I made a lifestyle change on January 1, 2011, and haven't skipped a beat - and never looked back! (it has helped me lose 111.4lbs so far, but I have gained so much more!)
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I love veggies, in fact, I am a vegetarian so obviously my diet is based on every kind of yummy veggies. Exercise on the other hand, I hate it with a passion and I could weep for the time I have to invest in it. If physical activity wasn't so essential for health, weight loss and looking good, I'd happily spend every second of my free time on the couch with a good book and in good company.
  • thebassdrumheavy
    thebassdrumheavy Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i love veggies, i hate exercise. i only exercise so i can eat back some of the calories so i can have some chicken nuggets lol

^^^ Hahaha! This is what I was thinking when I first started all this. Once you find an exercise that you like and challenges you in a good way, you start looking forward to them.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Find something (doesn't HAVE to be a workout) that you actually enjoy rather than just sticking to the same old. It might be dancing, hiking, martial arts, whatever.

I'm picky about veggies but fortunately there are some that I like, so I tend to stick to those.
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    My advice find an exercise that you love....keep exploring ...

From what Ive found ...... if you don't enjoy it.... youll continue with the yoyo diet *kitten* forever....
  • jolinemariem
    jolinemariem Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i love my veggies and dont eat anything i dont like i choose things i do like that are healthy...and i do exercising i like such as walking ...swimming, biking things like that
  • BrittaneyHG
    BrittaneyHG Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    No one like working out the first week you start. After doing it every day you start craving it. It makes you feel better physical and mentally. As for veggies I like them but my husbands isn't big on them so we bought a juicer and we mix veggies and fruit and you cant taste the veggies! :)