How long were you with your SO before you got engaged?

Options

Replies

• mspris2u
    mspris2u Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    27 hours :-) We got engaged the day after we met. He moved in with me not quite a week later and we married 11 months later. We have been married for 6 months.

I never believed in "love at first site" but it happened to us.. Oh and we met online too!
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    4 1/2 years before being engaged and we got married when it was about 6 years into the relationship. I did not live with him or go on vacation with him until we got married. We will have been together married and dating 10 years this year :)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Not engaged yet, but myself and my bf have been together over 6 1/2 years. I'm 21, he's 25. We've lived together for 2 years, planning to buy our first place next year.

We've talked about it, in that we know we'll get married/engaged at some point, but it's not official. We can't afford it yet, and I'm not a fan of long engagements (I want to start planning it properly when we are) so it will probably be some time when we are both settled in jobs (i've just finished uni, and am looking for work) and we have bought a place. That is more important to me now, as we do not like the area we are currently in.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    3 Months.
    I first met Jen when she was 13 - a geeky little straight A girl with a smokin' hot body, and I was the baddest dude around.
    Also 13 by the way:bigsmile:
    Anyway, she hated me, my criminality and violent nature, but I loved her even though she was out of reach.
    And then something happened to break her resolve. I met her at a teen swimming party and caught her checking me out. :devil: GOTCHA!
    2 weeks later, she was MINE!
    I went out and bought a ring like any well intentioned guy in love.
    People laughed. Nobody took us very seriously.
    We were married, and my own father said to me as we were getting dressed for the wedding
    "I know your first wife. I wonder who the next will be"
    In other words, we were doomed to failure.
    That was 29 years ago. We've had 5 kids and wonderful life with challenges like any relationship.
    To me she is still that geeky girl I wanted so badly at age 13, and I love her today just as much.
    I am the least deserving of such a woman, and if there is really a God in heaven, I thank Him for blessing me so richly in this life.
    All Is Possible:heart:
  • fatgirlslim32
    fatgirlslim32 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    We'll have been together 7 years in December 2012 and he proposed on Easter Sunday (April 8th) this year.

This will be my second marriage, the first I think we were together 2, maybe 3 years when we got engaged but we were young (I was 21 on my wedding day) and we should never have got married, we're both still friends and in agreement about that.
  • thefunone70
    thefunone70 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My husband and I dated for 1 year and then I got a job out of state. He moved with me and we lived together since we didn't know anyone else in the entire state. We were engaged 4 months after the move. We will celebrate our 12 year anniversary on July 15.
  • MrsD89
    MrsD89 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    We moved in after being together for 10 months, however we didn't get engaged for another 2 and a half years (and that was only because of an arguement about whether we should or shouldn't get married which ended with a "Fine, we'll get married then". Not exactly to romantic proposal I'd hoped for, but I did get to pick the ring I wanted :tongue:), and it was another 2 and a half years before we got married!
  • lsirelan
    lsirelan Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    6 mos. - but we worked together everyday for 4 years before we started dating.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    3 Months.
    I first met Jen when she was 13 - a geeky little straight A girl with a smokin' hot body, and I was the baddest dude around.
    Anyway, she hated me, my criminality and violent nature, but I loved her even though she was out of reach.
    And then something happened to break her resolve. I met her at a teen swimming party and caught her checking me out. :devil: GOTCHA!
    We were married, and my own father said to me as we were getting dressed for the wedding
    That was 29 years ago. We've have 5 kids and wonderful life with challenges like any relationship.
    To me she is still that geeky girl I wanted so badly at age 13, and I love her today just as much.
    I am the least deserving of such a woman, and if there is really a God in heaven, I thank Him for blessing me so richly in this life.

absolutely love it!
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    We never got engaged, been married a year. That is right he never asked me told me that he had gotten a job out west and for us to be able to go as a family most affordable we should get married. It bothers me many days he never really asked and I am still waiting on an engagement ring. My own fault for being "easy". We have been together 4 years.
  • brewface811
    brewface811 Posts: 106
    Options
    3 Months.
    That was 29 years ago. We've have 5 kids and wonderful life with challenges like any relationship.

This is so cute. :) So glad to see two people so in love!
  • Jigglebewie
    Jigglebewie Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Some stuff on this thread is soo sweet =]

We met online when I was 16 he was 21. Dated for 2 years,and have been living together for 3 years.

Our 5th year will be on the 23rd September =D

Well no plans to be married as of yet. He was very against marriage for the first 3 years, he's been talking about it now when I haven't even brought it up =]
  • brewface811
    brewface811 Posts: 106
    Options
    We never got engaged, been married a year. That is right he never asked me told me that he had gotten a job out west and for us to be able to go as a family most affordable we should get married. It bothers me many days he never really asked and I am still waiting on an engagement ring. My own fault for being "easy". We have been together 4 years.

He was thinking about joining the coast gaurd for a while and told me that he would marry me if he did so that if he had to move I could come with him. -_- I know the feeling, not very romantic.
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    We were together year and 2 months before he proposed and will have been engaged almost a year when we get married in October :) we are 22 and 23 also. We were together 2 months before we moved in together.
  • arickim
    arickim Posts: 137
    Options
    We were married about a month and a half after we met.....so engaged a week or so. We have been married 13 years in November:)
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Proposed within a month of our first date. Celebrating our 20th Anniversary in August.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    We met 10 months before, and talked long distance and while he was deployed, then when he came back I moved across the country to be with him, we were engaged 4 months later and got married 2 months after that. We didn't have our "wedding" for another year but technically we've been married for almost 3 years.

If it feels right then it probably is. Why don't you talk about it? After 6 years I could see where you would want to move along. A friend of mine had that conversation with her boyfriend of five years and it turned out he never planned to get married and she really wanted to be married and have a family. They broke up right there. It was really strange and sad but its something that needs to be discussed.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I met him on a Sunday and he asked me out for the following weekend. I didn't see him at all all week (he lived 2.5 hours away). The following weekend, we went out. We went out every day for 7 days. On the 7th day, he proposed. We'd known each other only a week. He was 30, I was 19. We just celebrated our 19th wedding anniversary.
  • tyrantduck
    tyrantduck Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    we were actually together for just over a year. we had been in love for about four years but we were always with other people. i got pregnant after we had been together for about 6 months and he asked me to marry him two months before our daughter was born. we got married when she was 5 months old.
  • HannahsReturnToFitness
    Options
    I met my partner online five years ago. We were together two years before we got engaged. We have now been engaged for three years, have lived together for two years and have a one year old daughter together.