How long were you with your SO before you got engaged?

Options

Replies

• sassydebbie67
    Options
    4 Mons... Married for 5 1/2 years now, and it keeps getting better:blushing:
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    3 years, marriage ended after 1.
  • xoxobollywood1991
    Options
    4 years together - and we'll be engaged in few months :) (hindu ceremony)
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    Met on March 23rd, 1991. Decided to get married 2 weeks later, and official engaged after six weeks, and married after 4 1/2 months. Been married for almost 21 years now!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    We were together about 2.5 years before getting engaged... another 1.5 before we got married... we have been together a total of 8 years now... but we met when we were in college and we would have got married sooner if after a year in we didn't decide to go to different colleges in different states (which sucked, but I'm glad that decision was made)
  • BriaMc
    BriaMc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I was with my BF for only like 9 months before we got engaged (but he wanted to propose before he deployed, so it was rushed). We got married a year and a half later when he got home and have been married for 5 years now :)
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Dated 6 months and got married -- eloped, actually.
  • AlexzKT
    AlexzKT Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I was with him for 7 years, and we were the exact same age when we got engaged. We just had our 8 year anniversary, I'm 23 and he's 24, we're getting married this September, and I know it's the best decision we could have made! If it feels right, then it probably is (:
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    We were together just over 2 years when we got engaged. We got married exactly 3 years and two days after our first date :love:

Edit: I just wanted to add that my husband bought his (now our) house with his ex-fiance and it was a HUGE nightmare for him when they broke up. He had to buy her out and I guess it was a really big mess and he really got screwed financially. I know YOU are sure this is the guy, but be very careful about the legal ramifications of buying a home together before you proceed. I know people get divorced all the time who own homes together, but depending on the state you’re in, the law generally doesn’t protect those who are just cohabitating, so just make sure you're protected in the investment!
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    we were together 3 years before he proposed...then it took 6 months to plan the wedding and boom we were married:) I remember feeling like it was about time we got married, and out of nowhere he popped the question in front of our family during christmas. He was hiding in a giant present box with my name on it...so when I opened it he litterally popped out and got on his knee and asked...lol I'll never forget it.
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    My husband and I were together for 3 months before he asked me to marry him and we were married 1 1/2 years later. :love: Today is our 15th anniversary :heart:
  • katey_my_lady
    katey_my_lady Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    We were engaged eight months after we started dating. We're not super young (I'm 29, he's 40), so we didn't see much sense in waiting. But like everyone else has said, you have to choose your own path. No two journeys are the same.
  • wiregrrl
    wiregrrl Posts: 14
    Options
    About 6 months. We have 3 kids and are getting ready to celebrate our 13th anniversary. :)
  • rbl1225
    rbl1225 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about how long just talk to him without asking for the ring and see where he is with his life if he is ready to take that next step he will. Some times people might just be nervous in case he doesn't know what you want. So try bringing it up in some way.
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I knew him for 7 and we were together for 2. BUT we were both 28. 6 years is a long time to be together but you are so young...this is a tough one cause after 6 years you should know I guess.
  • clifford66
    Options
    5 months then proposed, married 7 months later, now married 17 years
  • CharityAngel
    CharityAngel Posts: 111
    Options
    We have been married for almost 2 years. We got married after we had known each other for 2 months. We got engaged about a month after we met. I thought I would never get married again, but he is awesome!
  • missamielou
    Options
    2 years and 7 months!! We had bought a house 1 year prior to this and living together! xxx
  • caitles14
    caitles14 Posts: 89
    Options
    4 and a half years. We are young too (24 and 25), and started dating when we were 19 and 20. I was pestering him to propose for a year or so, but he held out until this past Christmas Eve :) We also lived together for over a year before we got engaged. Have you guys had an open conversation about this? Maybe he's afraid you won't say yes ;)
  • DianatheRed
    Options
    Together 2 1/2 years then engaged. Before we started dating, though, we had been very close for 5 years or so.