How long were you with your SO before you got engaged?

Options

Replies

• blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    3 years and 8 months but who's counting??
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Met when I was 19 and he was 22
    Moved in properly 2 years later (we did long distance for those 2 years)
    Bought house after 5 years
    Got engaged after 6 years

Don't rush it. And don't rush him. Sometimes they just need to adjust to the idea that they are really adults now. Don't pressure him and if you have a good relationship built on love and common wants in life then it'll work out beautifully. :)
  • mytime44me
    mytime44me Posts: 35
    Options
    7 weeks....married 24 years this month!
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    11yrs and 4 months and still waiting
  • loseequalsgain
    Options
    5 months.
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    About a month- but ours was a friendship that caught fire. Once we got together, there was nothing to stop it. We were married 7 months later, and have been married 13 years with 4 kids. :heart:
  • Spaterson65
    Spaterson65 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    About 3 or 4 years, and we didn't get married until about 3 years after that.

This quote from someone else in the thread sums it up though: "Remember, the only thing that changes is a title, you're still the same people and share the same love." <-- so true

Scott
  • mrsmerrithew
    mrsmerrithew Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    4 months. Married 2 months later.

For us it was a case of 'when it's right, you know' - though I think you need to have experienced a few that were 'wrong' before you can judge this.

Married for ten years next month and it's been 100% a great partnership and supremely happy union

Like this person ^ stated when it's right, you know. And again, you need to experience a few that are wrong before you can judge this.

With that said, this is my second marriage. My first marriage, I had known my ex for about a year when we got hitched. Fast forward about 3 years later and I find out he was cheating on me - so I left.

About 4 years after we divorced, I met my current husband. Our first date was May 16th, 2011. We have been inseparable since. I moved in with him in August. We were engaged in September. And we got married March 31st.
  • DOTY1
    DOTY1 Posts: 97
    Options
    We started dating August 5th 2008 and were married August 15th 2009 :blushing:
  • mphlab
    mphlab Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    4 months but I was 39 & he was 44. Got married 1 year from the day we met.
  • Rjdj3530
    Rjdj3530 Posts: 154
    Options
    6 months! But I think my husband was whispering to hid mom after about 3 or 4 months! She must have looked at him crazy because I know I would if a friend told me they were wanting to marry someone after just a few months. I guess he knew something I didn't because we are working on 11 years of marriage now.
  • skinnyeascolady
    skinnyeascolady Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    2 months engaged Married 4 months Later. You know when it's right and it is different for everyone.

Still happly married 13 years later:happy:
  • LemonSocks
    LemonSocks Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    We've been together for nearly 5 years (living together for 3) and not engaged. It's probably on the cards within the next year but I'm in no hurry. I can't see how being married will make the slightest difference in our relationship (other than costing a lot of money we can't afford/I would rather spend on other things).
  • MissFuchsia
    MissFuchsia Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    2 years. We had been living together for 1 year.
  • sunshinesonata
    sunshinesonata Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    10 months.
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    lets see I met my husband Dec. 11 1999 I asked him to marry me that new years eve (he said yes) we got married August 12 2000..and we are still happily married

i think fast moving is fairly common in military relationships. why put off til tomorrow what you can do today? :wink:

I'm glad this isn't just me! My husband was National Guard when we met and about 2 months into the relationship he got orders to be deployed to Afganistan. We figured we would get married before he left, two months later the deployment order got cancelled. After 6 months being together total and my willingness to stick with him through a deployment made him propose.
  • AngieWpg
    AngieWpg Posts: 27
    Options
    We were together 6 years before we got engaged and then another 4 until we got married. We've now been married 4 years.

I also felt like it was taking forever and gave all the hints and looked at rings but he said he didn't want to feel pressured and he wanted it to be a surprise so that delayed things quite a bit (because I talked about it all the time - lol). I wouldn't worry about it as long as you're happy together.
  • BubbleGumKisses
    BubbleGumKisses Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    9+yrs and counting.......
    I was 17, he was 19, we were living together since day1... literally... and pregnant 3 months after we met...
    Our son just turned 8 in April, still not married/engaged.... but trying for another baby.... : )
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    My DH proposed after about 3 months. I made him wait for 2 years after. My divorce was not final when I met him and I was really gun shy. He waited and he has proved himself to me over and over for 30 years now.
  • Kalee34
    Kalee34 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    My husband and I were together 2 years before he proposed.
    I was 15(sophmore) and he was 17(senior) when we first got together.
    He proposed to me in January of my Senior year in highschool. We were engaged for 6 month.
    I graduated on May 27th and got married on June 30th. I was 17 and he was 20.
    We will celebrate our 11th wedding anniversary this Saturday!!