Gym pet peeves

Options

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    and lastly, i dont know why but it bothers me when obese people are doing weights instead of cardio.
    I think they should be doing cardio to loose more pounds and then switch to weight-lifting.
    I know, I know, atleast theyre making the effort to go to the gym but i think if your obese cardio would benefit you much more!

Wow, way to make me self-conscious. I do cardio AND strength training. How do you know they don't do both? Do you follow them around on a daily basis? I run for my cardio... outside in my own neighborhood, not at the gym. But I do take a Zumba class there. I weight train because muscle helps burn fat. And once I lose more body fat the weight training will keep me from being as saggy as I would be without it. I work my @ss of at home, so don't judge me at the gym.

I did weight training from day 1. Keep doing what you're doing. You want to retain as much of your muscle as possible while shedding fat, and resistance training + adequate protein and a reasonable deficit will ensure that. Screw the idiot who thinks obese people shouldn't lift weights. I did more weight training than cardio overall, and as you can see from my ticker, I'm not obese anymore.
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    and lastly, i dont know why but it bothers me when obese people are doing weights instead of cardio.
    I think they should be doing cardio to loose more pounds and then switch to weight-lifting.
    I know, I know, atleast theyre making the effort to go to the gym but i think if your obese cardio would benefit you much more!

So we should ask you if we are lean enough to lift weights?
    Get over your self; how do you know what my work out routine is?
  • krue1971
    krue1971 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    When I go to the gym (which isn't often because we have a small one at work) I get aggrivated with all the "hard core" lifters acting like I'm in their way because I'm trying to teach my 15 yr old the correct way to lift.
  • pinky_pinkster
    pinky_pinkster Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Anyone talking on the phone is annoying! Or spending ages and ages just walking on the treadmill...get running or get off!
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

Maybe they already did their cardio and they're just doing a few sets to strengthen and tone (like me, for instance). I actually have muscles under all my fat and I'm really STRONG.
  • camelid2
    camelid2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i hate when i go to grab a set of weights and the guy at the rack comments that they may be to heavy for me to lift....FU dude....then i show him up!!!! lol :noway:

Not directly related, but the bagger at the grocery store asked me if I had enough muscle to get the 35lb bin of cat litter into my car. REALLY DUDE? 35 lbs isn't that big of a deal and you didn't just see me lug it around the store and up onto the counter?!?
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    When an aerobics class is taking place, there are still people using the floor to do their stretches. When there's a class, you leave and do your stretches somewhere else (like, I don't know, the stretching area!).

When I'm in the stretching area and I can't place my mat anywhere because people have left their bags and luggage all over the place. Move it!

In the parking lot, and people take up two spots. Ugh, annoying!

In the locker room and I see a locker without a lock so I open it to put my stuff inside, when someone else's stuff is already inside. Get a lock!

When I'm on a cardio machine and someone asks me how long I will still be on it. I don't mind them asking me, but I notice that they didn't ask the person next to me, even though they have been on it longer than I have.
  • kidral97
    kidral97 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    girls who come to the gym "pretty",make up & hair done~not wiping down equipment & i dont mean your towel that has all your sweat on it!!!~people who wear skimpy gym clothes, that shouldnt!!!
    ummmm, think thats it.....for today
  • magisy
    magisy Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Showing baking shows on the tv.

...and of course pervy men ;)

Now that one is original! I like that!

Awww, I love watching cooking shows while exercising- I find it very motivating!!
  • Martin0524
    Martin0524 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    1. I dont like when peoples workout clothes do not match their shoes...
    2. When there are people there talking at the top of their lungs in the middle of the gym floor
    3. Wiping their body with a towel then using the same towel to wipe down the machine... (grooooosssss)
    4. Guys that try to talk to you when they see the wedding band (1), and (2) I'm working out.. Leave me alone...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

That makes two of us, because I also have no idea why this bothers you. Perhaps it would help if you knew what you were talking about?
  • JacquiC72
    JacquiC72 Posts: 49 Member
    Options

That makes two of us, because I also have no idea why this bothers you. Perhaps it would help if you knew what you were talking about?

Make that 3. Whenever I watch Biggest Loser, they do a mixture of cardio and weights from day 1.
  • SharitaWray
    SharitaWray Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    ...and of course pervy men ;)
    [/quote]

Ewww . . . I hate these too.
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    This thread is pretty funny! I had so many gym pet peeves that I finally set one up at my house! Working out at home is so much nicer! I'm very thankful I'm able to do that!
  • babycook
    babycook Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    It annoys me when people do circuits of 5 or 6 machines. I want a machine...but they're using all 6. I guess I could take one over but I'm not brave enough to do that.
    I also hate the socializing. Get off the machine. I want it. If you want to socialize go stand in the corner out of my way.
    And it bugs me to see people walking at the slowest speed on the treadmill. Honestly you probably walk faster than that on the street.
    Or people who lift pink dumb bells. Your purse is heavier than that. Increase your weight.
    And people who sit on the equipment for too long between sets reading a magazine. Hurry up. I want the machine.
    And people who don't clean the equipment after they use it.
    And when people put the weights on the wrong rack. I have to remove that 5 lb weight to get to the 20 lb one I want.

I see a running thread of I want here...LOL.
  • guapogringo
    guapogringo Posts: 201
    Options
    This thread is pretty funny! I had so many gym pet peeves that I finally set one up at my house! Working out at home is so much nicer! I'm very thankful I'm able to do that!

I will drimk a protein shake to that!
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options

Make that 3. Whenever I watch Biggest Loser, they do a mixture of cardio and weights from day 1.
  • michelec64
    michelec64 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm another one who watches cooking shows while at the cardio station, but considering that each machine has its own individual TV I don't think it's an issue. And there's particular machines in the row that I prefer using because they run smoothly, the height of the TV is set just right so I don't have to strain my neck watching it (I'm 4"11' so this matters), etc. So if the row is empty and I get on the treadmill next to you it's because I'm comfortable on that machine, not because I am interested in what you're doing (just sayin').

My one pet peeve has to do with the walking track, which surrounds the entire gym floor. In order to enter or leave the floor you have to cross the walking track, and way too many folks do it not paying attention to any oncoming walkers/runners. Not only rude but dangerous. Folks wouldn't walk across the street without checking for traffic, the same principle applies here.
  • pinky_pinkster
    pinky_pinkster Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    - people walking on the treadmill. Just walking. For ages. Not even on an incline..... get running or get off!
    - stinky BO smelling people
    - naked women in the changing room, especially the ones that bend over alot :sick:
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    I am pretty laid back so unless the behavior affects me directly, I really don't care what anyone does with their time.

What does bug me is not wiping down equipment and getting in my way when I am working out. Otherwise, have fun!