Why do some people on here say that cheese is unhealthy???

Options
I've read a couple of comments recently on here that have flat out said cheese is a "naughty" food and "unhealthy". I understand the argument for American cheese since it's processed, but fresh cheese is considered unhealthy? Enlighten me, because outside of it being a calorie dense food (as are nuts, but people don't consider that unhealthy), I don't see the problem.

The only reason I'm even questioning it is because when I saw those comments, no one disputed their claim so it has me wondering if my thought process towards cheese is incorrect.

Edit: I'm not referring to people on a low fat diet. I understand their reason for not wanting cheese. I'm referring to people who eat a moderate or high level of fat.

Replies

• Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    They are masochists leading joyless lives.

In all seriousness, what are these people defining as "cheese"? Do they mean the wrapped "processed product" slices, or the crap in the green cylinder, or (God forbid) the radioactive orange glop that squeezes out of a can like silly string? Or do they mean cheddar made from raw milk and beer, or soft mozzarella crafted in-house at the Italian market, or parmigiano reggiano cut from a wheel?

I sound pretty pretentious here, but really I'm just hungry and my inner English major is coming out.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness, what are these people defining as "cheese"? Do they mean the wrapped "processed product" slices, or the crap in the green cylinder, or (God forbid) the radioactive orange glop that squeezes out of a can like silly string? Or do they mean cheddar made from raw milk and beer, or soft mozzarella crafted in-house at the Italian market, or parmigiano reggiano cut from a wheel?

That's what I was thinking when I read those comments. Perhaps they're just referring to Kraft American slices or Cheez Whiz or some other processed cheese. I simply do not think fresh mozzarella, colby, brie, ricotta, etc are unhealthy. It just doesn't make sense to me.
  • Rilke
    Options
    It just doesn't make sense to me.

My best guess is that they're looking at cheese and thinking "high calorie" (or high fat, or high sodium) and writing it off as unhealthy, which is of course much too simplistic an attitude to take toward foods.
  • Flafster
    Flafster Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Because it's full of fat and salt and dissolves all my self control when facing it down?
  • casandra_zamarripa
    casandra_zamarripa Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Because its a dairy product and although its good calcium for your bones dairy slows down your metabolism & the salt in it is not really good for you salt helps store unneeded watter that can cause you to have some extra weight on your body! Allllsooo if you eat enough it can constipate you lol :-)
  • Rilke
    Options
    dairy slows down your metabolism

Source?
  • lauras777
    lauras777 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    But I love cheese..............
    So it can't be all that bad!!!

I'm a vegetarian, so I tend to eat a lot of cheese...ok, not like pounds at a time, but I will typically have SOME sort of cheese on a daily basis... I've been losing steady since January, so it can't be the cheese!!! :laugh:
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    :happy:

Source?

seriously, I would like to hear where this came from...
    Also, I will NEVER give up my cheese, healthy or unhealthy... BTW, I do like the cheese in the can :blushing: ! but have not had it for years! I have become more cheese pretentious too!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Because its a dairy product and although its good calcium for your bones dairy slows down your metabolism & the salt in it is not really good for you salt helps store unneeded watter that can cause you to have some extra weight on your body! Allllsooo if you eat enough it can constipate you lol :-)

Besides the constipation comment the rest is foundless. Without sodium you will die, it's a key component of your body's electrolytes. Dairy slows down your metabolism? I eat cottage cheese and an entire pint of ice cream every day, plus milk in my cereal. My metabolism is rediculous, I loose at 3100 calories daily.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options

A lot of misinformation in the above quote. I would love to see sources for that info.

Please don't ever read the boards blindly and assume what someone posts is fact. No one particular way of eating works for everyone. If that were the case, why would there be so many diets (low carb, no carb, low fat, high fat, high protein, etc.)? Do your own research, decide what you think is right for you, and go with it.

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with a MODERATE amount of cheese in your diet. I never gave it up while losing and never intend to now I am maintaining. However, some people see cheese as a trigger food where they lose all control over moderating portions of it, so they avoid it. Some people avoid it because they are vegan or lactose intolerant. Some people (not me!) deem it not worth the calories. Do what works for you. For me, I love cheese and I can easily incorporate it into my daily eating.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Without the cheese, I wouldn't be hitting my protein goals.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese every day, just about.

I'm also healthy. Odd.
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options

Besides the constipation comment the rest is foundless. Without sodium you will die, it's a key component of your body's electrolytes. Dairy slows down your metabolism? I eat cottage cheese and an entire pint of ice cream every day, plus milk in my cereal. My metabolism is rediculous, I loose at 3100 calories daily.

I wish I had your metabolism.... :(
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Shhh...don't tell my husband that....he may fall to the floor and die if he can't have his cheese. He puts it on everything.

I personally think that it's a great food and eat it often (today, as a matter of fact).

Go cheese!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Because they're whack.

Wiggety wiggety wiggety whack.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I'm a cheese lover myself, but I have cut down considerably while tracking food on MFP because it jacks up my sodium intake so much. :/
  • Susan923
    Susan923 Posts: 61
    Options
    I eat cheese every single day! Great calcium, great protein, great taste!! Yum!
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options

Source?

Ya really, I never heard that one before.

Cheese is fine if you eat the proper servings, it's just easy to go overboard (soo...soo easy).
  • lisanxd
    lisanxd Posts: 93
    Options
    I've read a couple of comments recently on here that have flat out said cheese is a "naughty" food and "unhealthy". I understand the argument for American cheese since it's processed, but fresh cheese is considered unhealthy? Enlighten me, because outside of it being a calorie dense food (as are nuts, but people don't consider that unhealthy), I don't see the problem.

The only reason I'm even questioning it is because when I saw those comments, no one disputed their claim so it has me wondering if my thought process towards cheese is incorrect.

Edit: I'm not referring to people on a low fat diet. I understand their reason for not wanting cheese. I'm referring to people who eat a moderate or high level of fat.

I don't understand it either. To be honest, I've read so much different stuff about low fat vs. high fat vs. low carbs vs. no carbs vs... all these other things. My head is SO confused with all of this conflicting information.

I've been stuck at the same weight for quite some time now. I look back at when I was losing lots of weight and I usually had a CHEESE quesadilla for dinner every night (though within my calorie goal). I'm almost about to start doing this for dinner again, since it seems like it worked back then!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    You're going to learn that there are plenty of people here who think anything besides lettuce that you personally grow in your back yard is poison that is killing you.

Ignore them. Most of them give up after 3 weeks.

Moderation. The best plan there is.