Why do some people on here say that cheese is unhealthy???

Options

Replies

• macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    What??!! Cheese slows down my metabolism???? So, THAT'S my problem! :huh:
  • Tropicalgirl3
    Tropicalgirl3 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I love cheese too, but if you look at the nutritional info on it you will see that the percentage of fat calories is well above the 30% recommended ratio. It is a great source of protein but has 0 fiber. Protein and fiber are what help you feel full. In that respect cheese should be considered a food to have occasionally.... or be very strict on your fat intake in other foods.
  • lynnprice
    lynnprice Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Because they're whack.

Wiggety wiggety wiggety whack.

hahahahahahahahah
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Cheese ........ best thing ever made in life. Makes things so much more delicious!! YUM - matter of fact I think I will have some cheese on my eggs tonight :)
  • SandraD89
    SandraD89 Posts: 809
    Options
    All things in moderation. I love cheese. I just eat less of it these days.
    My moto right here!
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    If I was lactose intolerant you'd have to lock me up because I'd try to off myself.
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I get WAY too much satisfaction when I get that little round of cheese, out of the Baby Bel red wax, without tearing the cheese. Ahhhhhh.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    The saturated fat in dairy has been linked to increased risk of disease.

once again source? if you are going to quote something like this - no offense but back it up
  • kak2m4
    kak2m4 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I don't understand where the information comes from, either. I would be a very sad panda if I couldn't have cheese on my eggs, salad, sandwiches, etc. I LOVE cheese! I don't think it's bad. I think as long as it fits into your macros you're good!
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    I don't have a problem with cheese. Cheese has a problem with me. And so does ice cream and cow's milk. So I avoid them. That doesn't mean anybody else should. You have to do what's right for YOUR body and hope the rest of us will do the same. :wink:
  • jesscaponigro
    jesscaponigro Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, I love cheese, I would absolutely never give it up! I love fresh mozzarella and tomato salad, so delicious. I also just got fresh blue cheese from the farm down the street, which is absolutely delicious in a salad! No idea what is wrong with people!
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I agree with an above poster that we all must be careful not to believe everything we read about nutrition from the boards. There is considerable misinformation out there. Certainly, moderate portions of fresh, minimally processed cheese can have a role in a healthy diet. String cheese is one of my frequent snacks and a meal I frequently look forward to is Caprese salad: fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, plenty of fresh basil, balsamic vinegar, a splash of olive oil, fresh ground pepper and a little sea salt. Just send me to the French Riviera right now where it's on every menu and lots of skinny French and Italian women are eating it.

That salad sounds amazing!
  • laurelderry
    laurelderry Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    The reason people think cheese is unhealthy is because it has a lot saturated fat and is high calorie. We were previously told that saturated fat was very bad for you. However, that's not true, and the lipid hypothesis has since been debunked over and over. Still, old myths are hard to kill.

^^ THIS! :)
  • crb1988
    crb1988 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    http://www.chacha.com/question/does-dairy-slow-down-your-metabolism

This looks like a very reliable source...feel free to use it as a reference :bigsmile:
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Love the mob mentality here. Let's beat up on someone who can't justify their statement with scientific evidence and expend energy on berating them . It's clearly more statisfying to the self righteous here to entertain and gang up on one misguided individual than to stay on topic.
  • meechi53
    meechi53 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    dairy slows down your metabolism

Source?

Yeah I thought the studies showed that people who drank milk and ate natural cheeses lost weight/maintained better. It's the combo of natural calcium and vitamin D that you can't get from supplements.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Cheese, peanut, beer, and wine :drinker: ... even if they put warning labels on that said "These will Kill You!" I probably still would eat them!
    Now the question, I don't believe in fat free foods but what are your opinions on low fat cheeses???
    Thanks to this thread, I just had a piece of string cheese with a side of cantalope!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Because they can't eat it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation!!! Too much cheese is bad for you, too much of anything is bad for you. Eat sensible portions and you'll be fine.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I don;t undertsand the dairy inhibits fat loss argument either. I have milk and yogurt daily. I also have cottage cheese and some sort of real cheese several time through out the week and I've lost over 20 lbs.