Why do some people on here say that cheese is unhealthy???

Options

Replies

• StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    http://www.chacha.com/question/does-dairy-slow-down-your-metabolism

This looks like a very reliable source...feel free to use it as a reference :bigsmile:

Reliable source? um yeah not like this came from NIH or anything. I would NOT consider this a source to back that up. NEXT!

oh and btw it only said LOW fat cheese (we last I knew were talking about cheese in general) but yet again not a reliable source not quoting any studies.
    Check your sarcasm detector... either it's turned off or mine is reporting false positives! :tongue:

Obviously you dont realize some actually utilize that as a "reliable" source and um yeah maybe realize it is like a text here - you can NOT tell exactly where the sarcasm lies - so here I am OOZING sarcasm all over you now.
    Hmmm I'm not sure how I feel about being oozed on :laugh: I'm definitely aware that some people might consider that a reliable source but the "very" in front of reliable and the large grin at the end made me think that (hopefully!!) the post was in jest. Or I might just have too much faith in my detecting abilities today :wink:
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I think it's far chivalrous to pm someone and call them a " stupid s**t" then to undermine the misguided deliberately in a pack mentality type fashion in public.

But then others reading these boards (who may not know any better) might start believing that dairy slows down your metabolism. People will believe anything. Obviously rudeness / cruelty are not called for, but I didn't see any of that here.
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    http://www.chacha.com/question/does-dairy-slow-down-your-metabolism

This looks like a very reliable source...feel free to use it as a reference :bigsmile:

But this site says that it increases your metabolism

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=52485

and it has "Medicine" in the link. Must be good. I'll take medicinenet.com over chacha.com any day.
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    dairy slows down your metabolism

Source?

I really hope not because I'm pretty sure my metabolism would be non existent at this point!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I suck, I can't figure out how to post a picture from my Mac to the forum - here's the quote anyways. Hope there are some Anchorman fans out there -

What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing.

:laugh:
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    All things in moderation. I love cheese. I just eat less of it these days.

Everything is ok in moderation :) Even cake and chocolate...lol
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I had marinated (olive oil, garlic, and basil) fresh mozzarella last night! Sorry, at 85 calories, 7 fat grams, and 45 mg of salt per serving -- people who say it unhealthy and horrible for you can pretty much STFU in my book.
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Honestly some people are just way too hardcore. You gotta live life a little. I consider cheese a source of protein. Sure maybe calorie dense but it tastes good and isn't empty calories so there are worse things to eat. As long as you're eating it in moderation. If you ate cheese all day that would be a lot of fat and you would be constipated lol

I saw far too many people saying there was no place for pizza in a healthy diet either. That just plain ticked me off. You can't live your life never eating pizza again if you hope to sustain this. Pizza is what you make it. It can be a good source of every food group if you want it to be.
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Haha Anchorman is awesome. Can't wait for the sequel.

Also to post pics you need to upload them to a site like Photobucket and then use the link they provide for sharing but change the IMG to img.
  • pamfm
    pamfm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I wonder the same thing about pizza, which seems to be considered by many on these forums to be the most evil of human inventions. Flat bread, tomato puree, olive oil, garlic, basil, fresh mozzarella, sliced vegetables: bad? Very, very bad?

It's got to be that people are misinformed, on special restrictive diets, or they just have a weakness for the least healthy variety of that food. Like when they hear "cheese" they think blue cheese dip, or half pound of cheddar, or gross kraft "cheese-food", and when they hear "pizza", they must imagine a big, greasy, salty one, and more than a single suggested serving. It's good to know your weaknesses and either overcome or avoid them, but then I think sometimes a crowd gets together in the forums and commiserates about the dangers of the fill-in-the-blank tempting food, and the rest of us wonder if there's something we didn't know about it.
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I had to cut down on cheese drastically because it's my favorite food in the whole universe and it's SO SO SO EASY to heap on way too much. I don't think there's anything wrong with cheese, but it's calorie dense and delicious ... makes it kinda tough for me to eat in moderation if I'm not careful. I try to stick to 3-4 servings per week, and pay very close attention to exactly how big a serving of cheese is.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I had marinated (olive oil, garlic, and basil) fresh mozzarella last night! Sorry, at 85 calories, 7 fat grams, and 45 mg of salt per serving -- people who say it unhealthy and horrible for you can pretty much STFU in my book.

I get marinated mozzarella ciliegine at Trader Joe's that is to die for. If it weren't for my self control I could just sit there and eat every single one right out of the container. With my fingers.
  • FatStoatLondon
    FatStoatLondon Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    they FEAR the cheese...
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Cheese ........ best thing ever made in life. Makes things so much more delicious!! YUM - matter of fact I think I will have some cheese on my eggs tonight :)

nope it's close but the best thing ever is bacon, however cheese comes a close second, I often snack on a chunk straight from the pack. I combined them both beautifully in my cheese and bacon baked omelettes I ate for breakfast this morning. My other winning combination is salad with goats cheese and crispy bacon bits on top.

mmmm cheese, I think I may just have to go eat some right now :-)
  • kezell83
    kezell83 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You have low calorie, low fat, paleo and low carbers along with probably more diets than I can name on here. Everyone has their own take on what they assume or feel is Healthy or not for "them". It is my "opinion" (because that is what it is) is that a little cheese isn't going to kill you nor make you obese. Its the whole wheel or block, just like that whole gallon of sugar free, fat free ice cream, that will do it. Everything in moderation works for some, for me its none or all. I personally have just gotten back started and low carb works for me, so yes indeed I shall partake in the lovely cheese!
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Because its a dairy product and although its good calcium for your bones dairy slows down your metabolism & the salt in it is not really good for you salt helps store unneeded watter that can cause you to have some extra weight on your body! Allllsooo if you eat enough it can constipate you lol :-)

complete myth :)
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's sells a block cheese, Tuscano with Syrah. OMG..seriously..so.darn.good

I just can't eat a whole LB of it at once :)
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I thank the high heavens every time someone points out when something is arguable. There are many sweet trusting innocent people out there who I've seen fall for some pretty blind things. And I like it when I see two sides of something.

TBH I think my sad faces and such are a bit immature, but I'm enjoying myself at the moment so I don't care :P As far as pointing out errors, I feel the same you do. I myself used to be one of those trusting innocent (and ignorant) people who fell for all sorts of things. Now I am an English teacher who drills the importance of adequately sourcing your claims into teenagers for a living.

We all fall victim sometimes.

And a lot of people ask for sources, but a lot of people would be happy if you had a side, at all, and something you believed, because of logic. Not because "My personal trainer said so". I'm not looking for "Look this person in Harvard said it". I'm looking for "You don't make sense, so send me someone who does"! A lot of the time the studies are based on certain variables (obviously). For example, a lot of the studies on carbs mention that carbs are evil...But there are other studies that mention how great they are...And the ones that mention they are bad do not include the rest of their diet, their activity level and do not mention what kind of carbs they were feeding people (fresh food vs lots of salt filled processed to hell stuff etc).
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    dairy slows down your metabolism

Source?

I really hope not because I'm pretty sure my metabolism would be non existent at this point!
    That's not muscles in your profile pic, that's cheese gromit!
  • Kybelle132
    Kybelle132 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Blue Cheese on my turkey burgers.....yummm!