Why do some people on here say that cheese is unhealthy???

Options

Replies

• Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Wow! That settles it!

You might want to explore the difference between causation and correlation. Just some friendly advice.

People ate less dairy, meat and sugar, and more vegetables. It's generally accepted that rationing improved the nation's health by forcibly imposing a balanced diet.
    If they didn't have dairy and meat then how balanced could it have been? Again, it's correlation, not causation.
  • weisegirl1119
    weisegirl1119 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Brie cheese, crackers, grapes and a fabulous glass of wine. YUM!!!!
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    My approach to cheese is to have small portions, infrequently, but when I do I make sure its super amazing quality, with red wine...
  • Nataliaho
    Options

ah great minds... I forgot the quince paste :)
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I think cheese is fine but the problem with it is more of a cultural one. Cheese has a lot of fat and calories in it (as you've pointed out). That's a problem because people don't just have a little cheese, they dump it on things: cheese fries, cheeseburgers, queso sauce, whatever... If you have like, an ounce or two of cheese you're fine (though even that is a nice bit of calories, depending on the cheese).

I would equate it with salad dressing. If you put a little salad dressing on your salad, it's fine (like 1 table spoon). But people heap that **** on there, just like people heap on the cheese. Also like salad dressing, it's generally more of an addition to a meal and not any kind of meal itself. Most things you have with cheese could easily be eaten without cheese.

So why is cheese bad:

1. It's not really a meal item by itself, more of an addition to another meal item.
    2. People use too much of it.
    3. It's unnecessary calories. I'd rather eat a potato or something.

If you're putting cheese on things, you better be careful to count those calories accurately. A little cheese is a ton of calories.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

Oh yes, but I would add some hard Italian salami to go with the crackers and cheese. Heavenly!!:drinker:
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options

Oh yes...make that a brie en croute with some brandied cranberries and almonds. And some crisp apple slices. Oh Lord...so good....
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Wow! That settles it!

You might want to explore the difference between causation and correlation. Just some friendly advice.

People ate less dairy, meat and sugar, and more vegetables. It's generally accepted that rationing improved the nation's health by forcibly imposing a balanced diet.

Hmm, perhaps the decrease in overall caloric intake could be a confounder? And there's just a few other confounders there as well . . ..
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    OMG have you guys ever grilled feta cheese? You wrap it in parchment paper and throw it on the grill- and it gets delicious grill marks and melts to cheesy salty perfection. Serve over a balsamic marinated grilled portabella mushroom and watch panties drop.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    OMG have you guys ever grilled feta cheese? You wrap it in parchment paper and throw it on the grill- and it gets delicious grill marks and melts to cheesy salty perfection. Serve over a balsamic marinated grilled portabella mushroom and watch panties drop.

This is the best food idea I have read in a long time -- and I am constantly reading about food. Picking up some feta on my next Trader Joe's trip.
  • Nataliaho
    Options

YUM!! Have you had haloumi? Its a cheese that you always grill, yum!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I could give a flying crap if cheese is unhealthy. It's delicious and I will never stop eating it. :3 Or ice cream.
  • niciemetts
    niciemetts Posts: 49
    Options
    ok......just like all proteins......meat eggs cheese yogurt.......and on and on........its just moderation.......if you like cheese use it.............i eat protein every meal.............i love greek plain yogurt mixed in with some fresh fruit..............i eat it a couple times a week...........yogurt is a super food btw lol
  • tabatha_burris
    Options
    You're going to learn that there are plenty of people here who think anything besides lettuce that you personally grow in your back yard is poison that is killing you.

Ignore them. Most of them give up after 3 weeks.

Moderation. The best plan there is.

I agree moderation is the best plan!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

This is the best food idea I have read in a long time -- and I am constantly reading about food. Picking up some feta on my next Trader Joe's trip.
    Thanks :smile: Works for vegetarians, low carbers and everyone else alike.
    YUM!! Have you had haloumi? Its a cheese that you always grill, yum!
    I don't think I have tried haloumi- same method with the parchment paper?
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    I could give a flying crap if cheese is unhealthy. It's delicious and I will never stop eating it. :3 Or ice cream.

I'm with Beezil. 50% or so of my daily nutrition comes from full fat dairy. I like it. :)
    It's healthy for me.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I've given up most cheese because "for me" it is a weakness. I used to buy a big bag of grated mozzerella (and I mean BIG) and just eat out of it for snacks, especially late night. Oh, mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnn...so, for me, it was like a crack or something and I had to stop eating it. I, also, usually hold it on most meals because it adds calories and I have NONE to spare to stay under (if I'm under). LOL...I do, however, eat it if it's already on a meal or something, so I"m not opposed to it; I just feel like if I start, I might not stop.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    cryzone, that's a perfect response. Do what works for you. :)
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Thank you, SilverKitty. I loveeeeeeeeeeee cheese, but don't eat it anymore. :( That works best for me!!!