Lose weight to be healthy??? F no, I want to be HAWT!

Options

Replies

• emstaley4
    emstaley4 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yeah, right there also. I'm fairly healthy #s wise also. I work out hard and have lost weight and have started to see the muscle beneath the fat and I'm liking it when people look at me and do a double take and when I walk my *kitten* doesn't take 5 minutes to follow or jiggle like jello anymore. I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to look HOT. Being healthy is a fringe benefit or vis a versa. All in perspective.
  • NotAlone82
    NotAlone82 Posts: 32
    Options
    I'm doing it to be healthier. Keep my body in shape and eat right. Also to feel good about how I look.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    And when you get there, we will all congratulate you on your success..You've talked the talk, now walk the walk.

Thanks... for the motivation? I'm walking the walk right now... See the 34 pounds lost part?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Mostly because he used to have 4.5% bodyfat...
    Actually that's verging on death.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I know guys with 2% body fat.

I've read that 3% was the minimum recommended body fat percentage for men... He liked being ripped and did a lot of martial arts. He was also an instructor.
    The BEST elite athletes in the world, the best bodybuilders in the world sit at 3%-4% body fat for maybe a day. Where are you getting your information or is it just something you've heard? If it's written, I'd love to see it to see if it contradicts what medical journals and science journals are stating at "livable" body fat levels.

IDEA Fitness member

I'm getting my information from working with jockeys, but you can also see it here as well as other places.
    http://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/passionateeyeshowcase/2009/jockeyundercover/jockeyundercover_interview.html
    and
    http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2004/april/14/hbo-documentary-jockey-makes-case-for-raising-minimum-weight.aspx
    It's an article and doesn't mention how the measurement standard that they use to obtain the percentage. I'll take the medical study over the article, especially since even in the article it states that jockeys who are under 5% body fat are suffering body damage.

IDEA Fitness member

Of course they're suffering body damage. I'm not saying this is healthy, just that it's possible.

And the article isn't my main source.
    I took it as countering my point that 4% was verging on death and that you stating 2% is doable and livable. I'm doubting 2% since I haven't read any medical journals that studied people at that body fat % (especially sports people who need high calories and correct metabolic function to compete) but I'll research it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • TheNewo
    TheNewo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    good! At least you're honest, and it's continuing to motivate you --go get it girl!
  • thebaconbeast
    thebaconbeast Posts: 560 Member
    Options

I know guys with 2% body fat.
    I call BS. They'd be dead.

It might be wrong, probably was, but I went to school with a girl who had 0% BF according to our gym teacher. She was pretty tiny, I mean you couldn't pinch any fat anywhere on her, honestly. It is possible she had an eating disorder, but I don't want to make unfair accusations.
    They'd be dead. You CANNOT LIVE without bodyfat.

Yeah, that's what I had thought... lol. But I'm sure it was dangerously low, whatever it actually was. Body needs fat to work... it's an organ, I thought...? >.>
    Truth. Fat secretes hormones.

IDEA Fitness member

Correct, too little fat =no di-testosterone = sex organs failing to function correctly.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    When i read the OP first of all I thought I was going to have to rant.
    But the more I'm honest with myself, yes, I want to be hot!
    I've now got a healthy BMI and am in a UK size 12 jeans which was always just a dream. I'd not been that size for 20+ years.
    But, I want to be strong and have a flat stomach and I want people to be honest when they say I look good.

I agree with every word.
    health is the added bonus really.
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I took it as countering my point that 4% was verging on death and that you stating 2% is doable and livable. I'm doubting 2% since I haven't read any medical journals that studied people at that body fat % (especially sports people who need high calories and correct metabolic function to compete) but I'll research it.

IDEA Fitness member

There are definitely jockeys who have maintained 2% body fat over the years, such as Laffit Pincay. But yes, I agree, body fat that low, which jockeys have to maintain to ride every day, is not at all good. More jockeys die trying to make weight than I'd care to think about.
  • steenslaw
    steenslaw Posts: 10
    Options
    Yeah, I agree. I wanna be hot. I wanna buy my undies at Victoria's Secret. But, I'm also in pain on a daily basis because of my body! but when I'm on that stupid elliptical machine or thinking about getting fast food, it's sexy undies I think of...
  • NYChick84
    NYChick84 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    And when you get there, we will all congratulate you on your success..You've talked the talk, now walk the walk.

Thanks... for the motivation? I'm walking the walk right now... See the 34 pounds lost part?

Yes, I read that part. I like to see end results. I will always dream about being 130lbs and a size 4. However, I take my success in small increments, for I (personally) know that if I focus too much on the number, it'll never come. Also, it's unrealistic to have such a low boyfat % like you've described. Try focusing on getting to a healthy weight first before you even consider lowering your body fat %.

What's going to happen when you reach a plateau? Don't you think you'll get frustrated and discouraged? I see this happen to more than I like. Just take it day by day, week by week, and month by month. Remember it's not a race, this is a journey.

EDIT: Also, wanting to look hot? Sounds to me that you seem to have some self esteem issues. Being hot is not just about looks, it's also about the way you carry yourself and present yourself to society. Being outgoing brings out the beauty in people. It's not all about the looks that you see on the outside...
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I want to be hot too, but last I checked, exercise didn't fix ugly. So therefore I am doing it for my health.
  • carenj1990
    carenj1990 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    LOL...I so agree with you. Mine reason is both, but HOT is fabulous 2!
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I started out just doing it for the looks factor, but then my body started surprising me with all this really cool *kitten* I can do and how awesome I felt.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I have two reasons:

1. Look good naked.
    2. Less back pain.

The second reason might be about health. But mostly it's that I don't like pain. My BP and cholesterol are fine. I was never overweight to the point that it was putting my health at risk.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

Yes, I read that part. I like to see end results. I will always dream about being 130lbs and a size 4. However, I take my success in small increments, for I (personally) know that if I focus too much on the number, it'll never come. Also, it's unrealistic to have such a low boyfat % like you've described. Try focusing on getting to a healthy weight first before you even consider lowering your body fat %.

What's going to happen when you reach a plateau? Don't you think you'll get frustrated and discouraged? I see this happen to more than I like. Just take it day by day, week by week, and month by month. Remember it's not a race, this is a journey.

EDIT: Also, wanting to look hot? Sounds to me that you seem to have some self esteem issues. Being hot is not just about looks, it's also about the way you carry yourself and present yourself to society. Being outgoing brings out the beauty in people. It's not all about the looks that you see on the outside...

I think you misread. I don't want an extremely low body fat %... and yes, I do have self-esteem issues that I'm working through. I also have depression which exercising helps.

But seriously, what is thinking about my health getting me if it doesn't motivate me? I'm healthy now and thinking about health issues arising in the future does nothing for me. I'm thinking about what it was like to be smaller. How I felt, how I looked, etc. I like thinking about that and it motivates me. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

It also seems that people are mistaking me being focused on my looks right now for lack of caring about my health or understanding the health implications of the future for my decisions now. I understand that this is something that I will have to deal with for the rest of my life (journey) I also understand that I must stay motivated and if this at any point does not continue to motivate me, I'll have to look for new motivation.

-shrugs-
  • KittyMarie13
    Options
    I'm totally in the same boat. I do want to be healthier; I want to be able to jog up stairs and work and not be gasping when I'm done, and I want to finish my 30's with the kind of overall health that I should have had in my 20's.

But that's not what gets me off the couch and to the gym. That's accomplished with a look in the mirror and the size tag on my clothes. I want to be able to date comfortably and be out in public without worrying every 10 minutes that my shirt is not laying just the right way to hide the spare tire around my midsection. I want to get some of those looks I see guys give the fit girls at the gym. And I want to shop in normal sized clothes because, lets be honest, they are cuter. I'm not sure who decided that anyone overweight should wear nothing but paisley or wild color patterns, but I'm ready to break out of that.

I understand the whole "love yourself" thing, and I totally value myself as a person. But loving yourself and being realistic have to go hand in hand in my world. Am I worthy of love and respect? Damn Right. Could I use some weight loss to make me look better? Damn Right. Because flab isn't hot and I have flab; so less flab will make me hotter. :) Now that's the kind of math equation I can understand.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

There are definitely jockeys who have maintained 2% body fat over the years, such as Laffit Pincay. But yes, I agree, body fat that low, which jockeys have to maintain to ride every day, is not at all good. More jockeys die trying to make weight than I'd care to think about.
    Again I'm skeptical about the actual body fat %. Pincay (from an article I read just now) stated that he ate very little and tried hard to stay away from protein. He was diagnose with anorexia. Physiologically, the body likes to store fat (obviously we can see that today). When fat gets down to single digits, it will catabolize lean tissue in compromise for fat tissue. This would RAISE the body fat % even if weight stayed the same. I can believe single digits above 5% (which is TOTALLY RIPPED and you can see practically every muscle separation just below the skin), but 2%................nah.

IDEA Fitness member
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I want both!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Really? Bruce Lee at 3% body fat. There's a bodybuilder that was measured at 2.4% body fat.

ETA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_Bass
  • NYChick84
    NYChick84 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

I think you misread. I don't want an extremely low body fat %... and yes, I do have self-esteem issues that I'm working through. I also have depression which exercising helps.

But seriously, what is thinking about my health getting me if it doesn't motivate me? I'm healthy now and thinking about health issues arising in the future does nothing for me. I'm thinking about what it was like to be smaller. How I felt, how I looked, etc. I like thinking about that and it motivates me. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

It also seems that people are mistaking me being focused on my looks right now for lack of caring about my health or understanding the health implications of the future for my decisions now. I understand that this is something that I will have to deal with for the rest of my life (journey) I also understand that I must stay motivated and if this at any point does not continue to motivate me, I'll have to look for new motivation.

-shrugs-

Ok, so I didn't misread what you wrote. I came from a family that ate healthy foods, was active (but should have been much more active), yet I was overweight. So, I wasn't healthy because I was overweight. So, now, I'm becoming healthy. Luckily, I don't suffer from pre-existing disorders or anything that would hinder my ability to work out. I was fortunate. I'm sorry that you suffer from depresssion....and yes, most definitely exercising does help cope with depression. Reward yourself with every small milestone you reach. Make those goals for yourself.