Lose weight to be healthy??? F no, I want to be HAWT!

Options

Replies

• Kcham817
    Kcham817 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    A statement I have on my profile, I want the best body MY genetics can give me, I want to be healthy but I want to look sexy more :glasses:
  • hutchy90
    hutchy90 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    For me its definitely about looks. I was plenty healthy at 150 - 160. It wasn't much overweight for my height and I don't carry fat around my stomach which is the most harmful type. I didn't get winded walking up stairs, I could jog, my blood pressure was great. But I want to be thin! I'm down to 132 and would like to drop 10ish more. Any health benefits that come with it are good. But honestly its not my motivation.

This^^ but different #s.
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I took it as countering my point that 4% was verging on death and that you stating 2% is doable and livable. I'm doubting 2% since I haven't read any medical journals that studied people at that body fat % (especially sports people who need high calories and correct metabolic function to compete) but I'll research it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

There are definitely jockeys who have maintained 2% body fat over the years, such as Laffit Pincay. But yes, I agree, body fat that low, which jockeys have to maintain to ride every day, is not at all good. More jockeys die trying to make weight than I'd care to think about.
    Again I'm skeptical about the actual body fat %. Pincay (from an article I read just now) stated that he ate very little and tried hard to stay away from protein. He was diagnose with anorexia. Physiologically, the body likes to store fat (obviously we can see that today). When fat gets down to single digits, it will catabolize lean tissue in compromise for fat tissue. This would RAISE the body fat % even if weight stayed the same. I can believe single digits above 5% (which is TOTALLY RIPPED and you can see practically every muscle separation just below the skin), but 2%................nah.

IDEA Fitness member

I used Pincay as an example because he's the one I've most famously heard about, but I know from personal experience those who are at/around 3%.

Just out of curiosity, what would you think he's at?: http://www.kentuckyderby.com/sites/kentuckyderby.com/files/media/jockey2012calendar.jpg
    (I'm not trying to argue with you - just want to know so I can associate a BF% to a visual)
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to take a moment to point out that obesity is considered a risk factor for many diseases. But not a cause for any. Not even diabetes. Not heart attacks. You can be obese and live to be 90. Just like you can smoke and never get lung cancer. Just like you can eat clean and be in wonderful shape and get cancer or have a heart attack.
  • BaDaSsBrUnEtTe
    BaDaSsBrUnEtTe Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    yup me too, i want to be a hotty :)
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to take a moment to point out that obesity is considered a risk factor for many diseases. But not a cause for any. Not even diabetes. Not heart attacks. You can be obese and live to be 90. Just like you can smoke and never get lung cancer. Just like you can eat clean and be in wonderful shape and get cancer or have a heart attack.

Truth.

The human body is a fickle thing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Mostly because he used to have 4.5% bodyfat...
    Actually that's verging on death.

IDEA Fitness member

Really? Bruce Lee at 3% body fat. There's a bodybuilder that was measured at 2.4% body fat.

ETA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_Bass
    Love Bruce Lee...........but he died at 32. And Clarence Bass, like all competitive bodybuilders, will hold that conditioning for about a day. It's not a sustainable body fat %.

IDEA Fitness member
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I want to be hot, but also my likely to turn to diabetes will stay just ****ty blood sugar levels for longer and my liver may not need replacing as soon if I am thinner....so I really mean for health and vanity....yeah vanity has a lot to do with it.....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I took it as countering my point that 4% was verging on death and that you stating 2% is doable and livable. I'm doubting 2% since I haven't read any medical journals that studied people at that body fat % (especially sports people who need high calories and correct metabolic function to compete) but I'll research it.

IDEA Fitness member

There are definitely jockeys who have maintained 2% body fat over the years, such as Laffit Pincay. But yes, I agree, body fat that low, which jockeys have to maintain to ride every day, is not at all good. More jockeys die trying to make weight than I'd care to think about.
    Again I'm skeptical about the actual body fat %. Pincay (from an article I read just now) stated that he ate very little and tried hard to stay away from protein. He was diagnose with anorexia. Physiologically, the body likes to store fat (obviously we can see that today). When fat gets down to single digits, it will catabolize lean tissue in compromise for fat tissue. This would RAISE the body fat % even if weight stayed the same. I can believe single digits above 5% (which is TOTALLY RIPPED and you can see practically every muscle separation just below the skin), but 2%................nah.

IDEA Fitness member

I used Pincay as an example because he's the one I've most famously heard about, but I know from personal experience those who are at/around 3%.

Just out of curiosity, what would you think he's at?: http://www.kentuckyderby.com/sites/kentuckyderby.com/files/media/jockey2012calendar.jpg
    (I'm not trying to argue with you - just want to know so I can associate a BF% to a visual)
    I'd say between 9%-11%.

For reference here's Andreas Munzer at 3.5% body fat. You can actually see separation between the fibers of muscle.
    andreas-munzer-1.jpg

IDEA Fitness member
  • sassafrasy
    sassafrasy Posts: 113
    Options
    hell yeah!...I want to be hot!...and I want to say to all those girls that said I couldn't have a flat stomach (b/c I had twins or c-section)...sit down take a back seat...b/c this girl is going to teach you a thang or 2.....this partay is just beginning...
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

I'd say between 9%-11%.

For reference here's Andreas Munzer at 3.5% body fat. You can actually see separation between the fibers of muscle.
    andreas-munzer-1.jpg

IDEA Fitness member

That looks painful to be that built, I am sure he worked hard but that looks painful none the less. Completely off topic I know
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Same. I don't really have any health issues at the moment, I just want to look good. Whether I'll make it there, I don't know but it's better than letting myself get worse.
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm definitely here to look good - I didn't have any health issues that could be fixed with weight loss before I came on here.
  • PhotogNerd
    PhotogNerd Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    While yes I would like to be considered attractive, I still rate being alive, active, and healthy when I'm older above being hawt.
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    How much do you buy into the, "lose weight to be healthy," bull spit? I don't.

If you do, that's perfect for you. You've found great motivation, so keep going, you might want to pass this thread up though. It isn't for you.

For me it doesn't work that way. The conditions that I have can't be fixed by losing weight but if I mention them people are wont to think that they'll get better with weight loss. Let me tell you something, a heart rhythm disorder just doesn't fix itself. Neither does asthma or hypoglycemia. I'm stuck with it.

Otherwise, I'm healthy. Seriously. Low resting heart rate, low BP, perfect numbers blood work-wise and I can jog 5-6 miles non-stop even with my asthma.

Plain and simple, I'm losing weight because I'm tired of looking like a fatass. I want the muscle that you can feel under the flab to show. I'm ready to prove to myself and everyone else that I can be smokin hot curvy girl... Who's with me?

How many others out there get aggravated with the "lose weight and you'll be healthier" crap?

Edit: I'm not saying that it bothers me that other people are doing this to be healthier. I'm saying it bothers me when other people point out the health implications to me...

LOL, I'm doing it to get healthy and I already know I'm hot, it's just the rest of the world that doesn't get it!
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    At first it was about health. I needed to lose weight and lower my blood pressure. I was pre diabetic and was trending badly. I started working out so that I wouldn't continue to deteriorate with regards to my general health. BUT NOW.. now that I have found the woman inside.. Well damn! I want to look HOT.

My butt is smaller now than when I had my first kid!! I LOVE looking great. I love having men check me out.. and I'm hoping it happens more often so my husband will get off his duff and start "protecting his territory".

I want to be the one in the photo that doesn't try and go to the back to hide how big she is.

UGH. I want to look great in a bikini!!
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    When I lost weight, my asthma improved so much that I no longer need an inhaler. My allergist said my lung function had also improved and I don't wake up with rattling in my chest every morning. I lost weight to look "hawt" too, but this was a pretty nice unexpected bonus!
  • OvOv
    OvOv Posts: 50
    Options
    I have to admit that I initially started working out and eating cleanly to be more attractive, but I think it has gone beyond that now.

After starting to eat properly I've noticed a whole range of stuff like my joints becoming stronger (used to have weak ankles), skin clearer, less tired/sleepy...etc...I just generally feel better!
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    Health Smealth im still in my prime im here for the abs lol
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    This is all I have to say:

Skinny-Meh

Strong-Healthy

280278776779416556NRI0ptAQc.jpg

224898575111439156_m29w3jTm_c.jpg