Yummy, Yummy in my Tummy

Options

Replies

• jess8549
    Options
    Those Bison look delicious and I'm definately jealous. My Dad and I go hunting every year to fill the freezer and this year neither of us pulled tags. Last year we didn't get anything. Our freezer is definately empty; we'll be eating rabbit and squirrel this year. So sad, we live next to the largest bison ranch in the US and we can't afford any.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Those Bison look delicious and I'm definately jealous. My Dad and I go hunting every year to fill the freezer and this year neither of us pulled tags. Last year we didn't get anything. Our freezer is definately empty; we'll be eating rabbit and squirrel this year. So sad, we live next to the largest bison ranch in the US and we can't afford any.

We are purchasing ours for $2.75 per pound, dressed and packaged to be freezed when we get it. The beef we are purchasing we got for $2.99 per pound. Pork was $2.15 per pound - we are getting a side of each of the 3. We are getting 12 chickens also for $9.00 each.

We also go fishing regularly catching mostly blue gill, cat fish and large mouthed bass. We got squirrel from our neighbor and will get more rabbit and squirrel from this same neighbor.

This is the only thing I like about living in the midwest again.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Well all I know is *christain belief* God gave us the right to eat animals after the flood....so I'm gonna take advantage of that....lol....but i didnt' find it offensive...they wern't all shackled down in a diary-type of farm...they were jsut roaming about. And I can almost bet money they won't suffer a long and painful death.....Those animals are gonna die no matter what, either in the wild or if consumed by a human. It's human nature.....So if i "come back as an animal" in a future life, i'm either gonna die from a human, another animal, or from something else. Everything dies.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    "" People don't get reincarnated. Besides, God said we could eat meat so it must be ok. :flowerforyou: ""

People not being reincarnated is your own personal belief and personal OPINION, which does not make it fact. Second, we are not supposed to bring religion into the forums.

I appreciate learning about everyone's different view points but stating your personal beliefs as facts does not help the discussion any. I was not condeming anyone for eating meat, I was mearling trying to let people know the sensitivity of the topic for some.

Just curious, why did you come back to this thread if it bothers you so much?

because everyone is entitled to their own opionion and last time I checked freedom of speech was a Constitutional right

I don't think our founding fathers envisioned the internet when it came to freedom of speech. The point is if it bothers you, why do you keep returning? just for the sake of arguing?

I'm sure that Lioness doesn't care one way or another what people think of her posts. Her freezer will be full, I think her idea is wise and humane, and truth be told, whenever I see a picture of a buffalo, I do in fact think to myself

"YUMMY YUMMY" !

there are constitutional rights and then there is common courtesy. please keep religion out of the forums. If not for the sake of the constitution, then for the sake of respecting the faith of others.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Well all I know is *christain belief* God gave us the right to eat animals after the flood....so I'm gonna take advantage of that....lol....but i didnt' find it offensive...they wern't all shackled down in a diary-type of farm...they were jsut roaming about. And I can almost bet money they won't suffer a long and painful death.....Those animals are gonna die no matter what, either in the wild or if consumed by a human. It's human nature.....So if i "come back as an animal" in a future life, i'm either gonna die from a human, another animal, or from something else. Everything dies.

I'm not going to be reincarnated. :bigsmile:
  • July24Lioness
    Options

Love your Avatar.................

HA HA. Burger with extra lettuce. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • mommared53
    Options

Love your Avatar.................

HA HA. Burger with extra lettuce. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: Thanks.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I am having Venison tonight - it's in the crock pot now! MMMMM - I am sad though-it's the last bit we had....

We had squirrel last night basted in home made BBQ sauce and baked in the oven with onions and peppers.

One of our neighbors has started hunting (out of season) and shared with us last night. I made some beer based home made BBQ sauce, sliced up some onions and peppers and baked in the oven. We also had salad, sweet potato and green beans with it.

YUM YUM YUM!!!

WTH does squirrel taste like? Chicken or Rabbit?
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    I am having Venison tonight - it's in the crock pot now! MMMMM - I am sad though-it's the last bit we had....

We had squirrel last night basted in home made BBQ sauce and baked in the oven with onions and peppers.

One of our neighbors has started hunting (out of season) and shared with us last night. I made some beer based home made BBQ sauce, sliced up some onions and peppers and baked in the oven. We also had salad, sweet potato and green beans with it.

YUM YUM YUM!!!

More like rabbit. Frog legs taste like chicken.
  • mommared53
    Options

YUM YUM YUM!!!

More like rabbit. Frog legs taste like chicken.

Do they really? I've never had frog legs.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Bison is supposed to be really healthy. I am jealous - I haven't had the opportunity to try it. :P I have eaten Reindeer in Sweden though.

Apparently Ostrich is really healthy for you too. (Healthier than chicken or turkey, but is a red meat and tastes like beef). :tongue:
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    And as big of as animal lover as I am, I believe in slaughter. First off, if we didn't have slaughter - where would all these animals go? Second, the animals would more likely be starving than fat and happy. Since the U.S. has banned horse slaughter, there are more horses that are starving out there than before (since a farmer can't sell them on the market anymore) and horse rescues are broke trying to help as many as they can. The horses could have been slaughtered and been happy before that to become lion food at the local zoo, but it's no longer aloud.

Okay, that's just my 2 cents on the subject. I would rather see an animal slaughtered than starving. Plus, I think natural is the way to go, if I knew of a local farm where I could buy fresh meat and see the condition of the animals, I would be very happy - even if it is a sad fact of life.
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    "" People don't get reincarnated. Besides, God said we could eat meat so it must be ok. :flowerforyou: ""

People not being reincarnated is your own personal belief and personal OPINION, which does not make it fact. Second, we are not supposed to bring religion into the forums.

I appreciate learning about everyone's different view points but stating your personal beliefs as facts does not help the discussion any. I was not condeming anyone for eating meat, I was mearling trying to let people know the sensitivity of the topic for some.

Just curious, why did you come back to this thread if it bothers you so much?

because everyone is entitled to their own opionion and last time I checked freedom of speech was a Constitutional right

I don't think our founding fathers envisioned the internet when it came to freedom of speech. The point is if it bothers you, why do you keep returning? just for the sake of arguing?

I'm sure that Lioness doesn't care one way or another what people think of her posts. Her freezer will be full, I think her idea is wise and humane, and truth be told, whenever I see a picture of a buffalo, I do in fact think to myself

"YUMMY YUMMY" !

first of all if you read through the entire thread I wasn't the person who this comment was directed at.

I responded because some people on this board flame others who don't agree with them.,and it's getting OLD.

And regarding our founding fathers not envisioning the internet .so if you are on the internet and you speak up, the constituion doesn't apply.

I keep returing to this thread because you bumped it with your Yummy Yummy comment - to try to prove whatever point you are trying to make.....whatever
  • mommared53
    Options
    I don't think July24Lioness was trying to make a point. I got the impression she just started a thread about a subject like anybody else would do about any other subject. It's too bad it offended some people and caused such a controversy.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    I don't think July24Lioness was trying to make a point. I got the impression she just started a thread about a subject like anybody else would do about any other subject. It's too bad it offended some people and caused such a controversy.

I wasn't trying to make a point. I was trying to share my find which I consider to be like finding gold in a stream in the Colorado river.............

Good grief, I guess I won't be starting any more threads.

I can rest assure that if a certain number of people had started this thread, people would be bowing to them like they were God himself.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    And as big of as animal lover as I am, I believe in slaughter. First off, if we didn't have slaughter - where would all these animals go? Second, the animals would more likely be starving than fat and happy. Since the U.S. has banned horse slaughter, there are more horses that are starving out there than before (since a farmer can't sell them on the market anymore) and horse rescues are broke trying to help as many as they can. The horses could have been slaughtered and been happy before that to become lion food at the local zoo, but it's no longer aloud.

Okay, that's just my 2 cents on the subject. I would rather see an animal slaughtered than starving. Plus, I think natural is the way to go, if I knew of a local farm where I could buy fresh meat and see the condition of the animals, I would be very happy - even if it is a sad fact of life.

Well said Stephanie!
  • sarabear
    Options
    This is what wrong with our country today, everyone is always, "offended". Shut up and get over it, it's a fact of life!
  • mommared53
    Options
    This is what wrong with our country today, everyone is always, "offended". Shut up and get over it, it's a fact of life!

I agree 100%.
  • Linsmom
    Options

We are purchasing ours for $2.75 per pound, dressed and packaged to be freezed when we get it. The beef we are purchasing we got for $2.99 per pound. Pork was $2.15 per pound - we are getting a side of each of the 3. We are getting 12 chickens also for $9.00 each.

That is some awesome deals on these meats! I have been trying to get local foods for a while now and it costs so much money that my husband fusses and complains.
    I wanna try Buffalo too and the only thing that is keeping me from trying it is the price.
    Our local grass fed beef is $7-9 per lb. Buffalo is a bit more $$$
    A free range chicken is about $10-12!
    And then there is local fresh sausage, but I doubt that would be good for my cholesterol!
    I just want to say that I sure wish I could find the deals that you got!
  • kroger7
    kroger7 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I'm gonna chime in because...who doesn't love a good argument?? :laugh:

1) I didn't grow up on a farm, but in a very small rural area in midwestern Ontario (Canada). In fact, our county is "Ontario's foremost beef county", at least according to our signs haha. Growing up without tonnes of money it was much more economical for my mom to buy a 1/4 or 1/2 cow and make it last than to go to the grocery store every week, and I've been fortunate enough to try all kinds of delicious meats since then, moose, deer, elk, even gator (on a trip to florida!) I haven't had a chance to try bison but I'd love to, and supporting local farms as well as eating grass fed meat all sounds like positive things to me.:flowerforyou:

2) As for those who were offended, I understand your choice to not eat meat, that's yours to make, but what is so offensive about a picture of some buffalos? They weren't slaughtered and hanging up with the blood dripping off....they're just in a field? Do you get offended every time you drive past a field with cattle in it knowing that someone will kill and eat them? Just don't understand the logic lol

ok long enough post hehe have fun ranting at one another:bigsmile: