Unhealthy people working in the healthcare field

Options

Replies

• crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    I also have to add....I don't work three days a week, ten to twelve hour days. I work five days a week, ten to twelve hours a day. Anyone want to come cook healthy for me?

If you find someone, send them to me next. Sumer isn't too bad, but come August, I work 7 days a week and prolly won't have a day off until mid October. fml
  • tiffany1226
    tiffany1226 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This. Except I don't work in ICU. ;)
    I am a Nurse. An ICU Nurse to be exact. I have struggled all my life with my weight. We are all human. We all struggle with our own demons.
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I once saw a 300+ pound nutritionist.
    The stuff she said sounded legit, but you need to practice what you preach when you're giving people diet advice.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    There are ZERO excuses for eating junk. Plan your meals ahead, time is not an excuse FIND TIME! Period, end of story!

I hope that one day, in your time of need, a nurse takes her lunch break and leaves you to fend for yourself. Let us know how that works out for you. Oh, let me guess..YOU are perfect and will never need a nurse, right?

while i half heartedly agree with your statement that you should plan ahead regarding your meals, i completely disagree with your statement of FIND TIME!!!! mostly due to the other statement i have quoted here.

when you work a 9-5 job, or a desk job or one where you're home by 3p each day, it's probably relatively easy to plan out your meals, or get something healthy at the cafeteria or local venue.

when you work shift work, it's not all that uncommon for you to SKIP meals entirely! you could be running like a crazy person and work right through the typical cafeteria hours. hospital workers are not allowed more than 30 min to eat, and that means you are NOT LEAVING to go get lunch. and if you work 7a to 7p that means you got to work at 645 at the latest, had to change your clothes, scrub, and get report. if you live close to your job you might have had a chance to grab breakfast, or something to go as you left the house. but, you won't be able to stop in 3 hrs to make sure you grab that apple or carrots or hard boiled egg. and there is little to no guarantee that you'll get lunch 6 hrs after you got to work!!!

so, assuming you get your 30 min for lunch at 2p. and you're now starving because you haven't had much besides coffee and a protein bar at 6a, you can scarf down your lunch, and perhaps even pick at the tray that the drug reps have brought in to woo the docs to using THIER drugs...... then you work 5 more hours.

so, now, it's 7p, you still have to give report, hopefully your nurse relieving you is ON TIME. after that you have to go change and then head home. again, if you're lucky, you live close to work. some of my jobs were a ONE HOUR drive each way. so, now it's about 830 and you're trying to eat something for dinner. and exhausted. and HOPEFULLY the next day is your day off!!!

and night shift is even WORSE! you sleep all day long getting read for your 12 hrs. maybe even sleep through dinner. you get to work at 630/645p, get changed, get report and go to work. you might get to grab a snack at some point, but a 30 min break for "lunch" is not that common on night shift. they do a lot of work that is easier to do when patients are sleeping and families aren't visiting. you live on sugar and caffeine to keep you awake and hyped up. especially if you work with any kind of high acuity patients ( like ER or ICU). often the cafeterias don't open at all and if they do, it's for like 1.5 hrs and never when you can run down. so, you rely on vending machines, or snacks you bring from home. or stuff others have left during the day, or that same tray the drug rep left earlier. then again, you hope your relief comes ON TIME, give report, change and head home.

sometimes you literally fall into bed!!! other times you are wired from a really intense shift. either way, you rarely ever get 8 solid hours of sleep. and if you're lucky the next day is your day off.

and then you get to apply that to either every other weekend, or every third weekend!!!!!

you bring your job home with you A LOT. you worry constantly about things you could have done better or if you missed something. the stress in some nursing jobs is INSANE!!!!! i worked peds onc and i dealt with more kids dying than i ever imagined i would in my LIFETIME. THAT is stressful!!!!!!!! telling families that they're baby is not going to make it and they better drive as fast as humanily possible to hold their son or daughter one last time before he/ she dies, is INSANELY STRESSFUL!!!!!!!!!! have you ever had to make a call like that at 3a??? to a family that was an hour or more drive away? with a baby that probably had 1-2 hours to live????

have you ever had to tell a mom that her baby was too unstable to be held at that moment, but maybe tomorrow would be better? only to have that baby die over night????? have you ever coded a 3 yr old little boy in front of his parents? and then have to console them when he died? have you ever had to tell a single mom of 2 kids that her 2 yr old daughter's brain has herniated and she is brain dead and therefore needs to have life support removed??? have you ever been called a KILLER!?!?!?!

many nurses give up worrying about themselves because they are sooooo worried about their patients and their patients' families!

^^^^ THIS! And if you're thinking about arguing with it, read it again. So very true.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Wow... tough folks responding. Unfortunately, weight is simply something people can SEE and JUDGE. *Knowing* how to eat well and what behaviors to maintain does NOT equate to the ability to make and stick with those choices. I find this thread very sad... and a little bit like sticking your head in the sand. Just think about the people you can't judge but should REALLY be scared of (pulled right out of the headlines):

- The addict that's currently high driving the bus that takes your kids to school
    - The priest that has a taste for young boys
    - The good looking neighbor that is a serial rapist
    - The chef that just made your gourmet meal that hasn't washed his hands since using the bathroom
    - The con artist that just cleaned out your bank account
    - The gorgeous cosmetician that just used the same hairbrush/mascara brush/ and lipstick on the last Client
    - A trusted spouse that has contracted HIV and is now spreading it to his wife

Call me defensive, but... well... I just don't agree with the original sentiments. And I was once a 500+ pound nurse that counseled people about diabetes and eating well. And, shockingly, almost 250 pounds lighter - the words coming out of my mouth are the same. We all judge on appearances, I'm not naive enough to think we don't. But for the enlightened group of people I've come to know on MFP, I guess I'm just surprised to think we may have overlooked to voices of experience. Sometimes the people who know best may be the ones who have tried, failed, and tried again.

As for your reiteration that it's about the motivation to change... again - knowledge just doesn't equal motivation or confidence. If it did, every person in the world would be thin, physically active, non-smoking, non-drinking, and spiritual.
  • Bunnie_Rex
    Bunnie_Rex Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    i question fat nurses all the time. I just don't trust em.

Do you question your hair stylist with that JACKED Do?

I absolutely question a stylist with a jacked up do! That's a no-no!
  • Bunnie_Rex
    Bunnie_Rex Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    *Knowing* how to eat well and what behaviors to maintain does NOT equate to the ability to make and stick with those choices.

As for your reiteration that it's about the motivation to change... again - knowledge just doesn't equal motivation or confidence. If it did, every person in the world would be thin, physically active, non-smoking, non-drinking, and spiritual.

Excellent points!
  • utahgirl247
    utahgirl247 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I wont pass judgement.

I work in healthcare... The health system I work in has well over 300+ physicians of well over 30 different areas of medicine and combined medicinal therapies.

The OBGYN that delivered my daughter 19 years ago was a hispanic older gentleman who did have some pounds on him, but I didnt take that into consideration of his ability to affectively give care. The man saved my life as I was rolled into emergency surgery to have a C-section.

My PCP is a man who has known me for 22 years and knows that prior to taking me on as his patient, he knew the abuse I put up with from other PCP's who just didnt give two craps about the mysterious problems I was going through. He didnt toss me aside. The man was my mother's favorite customer - she used to serve him and his family dinner.. and the man ate some pretty unhealthy meals from time to time... I didnt care because that was done on his personal time. He helped me avoid being quarantined when my liver was failing due to extreme high doses of insulin was flooding my body right as I was about to be hospitalized.

My Dermatologist is a loving and caring individual, shares a practice with his wife. The man is unfortunately gaunt for someone 6'5", but does his best considering he too, has problems. I honor the ground the man walks on as he helped me with my hair-loss problem and made no judgement against me. I just had my last visit with him, and I cried knowing I wasnt going to be seeing him again because he was just that damn good of a doctor, but also a friend. Out of all his patients, I willingly chose to be part of a case study for women dealing with a number of medical problems like I am. He trusted me as a fellow medical professional, a patient and friend to give him the data he needed.

We are all human beings with a variety of problems going on, whether work-related, personal related, health-related, etc. What right do I have to pass judgement on them? Absolutely none whatsoever.

Thank you for your post. Although I can understand the feelings of some regarding the physical aspect of what we think the world should look like, especially in the medical field. . . we have to realize that we are all human first with frailities and weaknesses and as long as ability remains constant, I too am NOT one to judge.
  • lisakammwang
    lisakammwang Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    LOL.......would you think twice about hiring a FAT lawyer? or a Fat chef??? Come on people!! Ive been a nurse my entire life, and im smart enough to know that we are all different, and I certainly know that no one is perfect either!! If you were perfect you wouldn't need us fat dysfunctional health care workers to save your *kitten* when your dying! Geeze!!!!

Amen...
  • scatgash
    scatgash Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    What I'm getting out of this is the OP asking why people in the healthcare field would continue to choose to make unhealthy choices after seeing the direct result of what an unhealthy lifestyle can do to a person, rather than being mean about overweight doctors/nurses? Or is it just me -.-
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I've questioned this same thing when I see nurses smoking. Which they ALWAYS seem to be doing.

I think it depends on what kind of doctor it is, though, whether or not it would bother me. Just like I'd never have a woman whose hair I don't like cut and style my hair, I wouldn't see an overweight nutritionist. I probably wouldn't trust an overweight cardiologist either, or at least, I'd consider him hypocritical. My dermatologist can be overweight, but I wouldn't want to see acne all over her face. Maybe that sounds wrong, but I think it makes sense.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I think you're right, that was the original post. But then shouldn't we also be asking:
    - Why do some police officers continue to drive fast in their personal cars even though they've seen lots of accidents?
    - Why do firemen light campfires or burn candles... or plug in a Christmas tree?
    - Why do scuba divers dive reefs when they're are known shark attacks?
    - Why do runners continue to run despite shin splints?
    - Why do we still use plastics and known carcinogens to re-heat our food in the microwave?

For the record, I do all of the above! Why? Not because I don't know any better, but... for convenience... fun... and sometimes, just because...
  • HisChild2011
    HisChild2011 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    We are all human beings with a variety of problems going on, whether work-related, personal related, health-related, etc. What right do I have to pass judgement on them? Absolutely none whatsoever.

I'm not questioning their ability to do their jobs well. I work with many wonderful people. I'm just wondering why they make the choices they do in regards to their own health when they can see firsthand how those bad decisions are impacting others.

Wondering or juding why people do what they do? You will never know the answer to this question. I have no clue why I do some of the things I do that I know I shouldn't. I would like to meet the perfect person who can't relate to this in some form or fashion.
  • cfranklin6353
    cfranklin6353 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm an MA, and I work with mostly overweight nurses. We just don't take care of ourselves the way we should. Part of it is the hours. Part of it is the drug reps and their tasty snacks that they bring. Part of it is just not having the time to eat what we should/exercise.

My trainer told me that people in the medical field are the worst clients she has (myself included!) and those are the excuses she hears most often.

ETA: I still get upset if I see a nurse smoking. They recently made our medical complex non-smoking. You can be fined if they find you even smoking in your car. But at this moment I can look out the window and see a gaggle of them decked out in their scrubs on the outside of the gate in a big cloud of smoke. It's sad in the winter time, or when it's raining.
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options

That's petty and judgemental - how would you feel if the roles were reversed?

wouldn't give to damns. I get questioned all the time as a 911 dispatcher.
  • Impy84
    Options

Perhaps some nurses are fat because they work so many hours taking care of everyone's loved ones?

I'm a nurse - and I'm losing weight because I see the problems my patient's deal with and know that I don't want that to be me someday.

Maybe you should think before you speak (or type).

tons of ppl work many long hrs. a philanthropic excuse is still an excuse.
    i thought about that
  • Impy84
    Options

Do you question your hair stylist with that JACKED Do? What about doctors with drinking problems? What about supposedly smart people who DO or Say DUMB things? What does being fat has to do with getting me meds or giving me a shot or wiping my *kitten*??? NOW, if I saw an overweight or obese Nutritionist or Trainer I'd have a problem, but maybe I would NOT because I would NOT select them for those services. Use some common sense!

wow you took that awful serious huh.
    sucks to be you.

ps: as for your attempt at insulting my hair or "jacked do". seeing as your opinion does not matter to me; guess who doesn't give two good hot forks. Good try though.
  • Lar349
    Lar349 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Please dont be so judgemental I am a paramedic, our work is exhausting and really stressful at times, we have little time to prepare food doing 12 hours on, 12 hours off, we sometimes have just a half hour break in 12 hours so are forced to grab junk foid from service stations at night cos we are starving, exhausted and everywhere is closed. I have struggled with my weight my whole life , but do try my hardest, spending 60% of my life on a diet please just be grateful for the good healthcare you get from the FREE NHS.
  • scubachick2287
    Options

Do you question your hair stylist with that JACKED Do? What about doctors with drinking problems? What about supposedly smart people who DO or Say DUMB things? What does being fat has to do with getting me meds or giving me a shot or wiping my *kitten*??? NOW, if I saw an overweight or obese Nutritionist or Trainer I'd have a problem, but maybe I would NOT because I would NOT select them for those services. Use some common sense!

wow you took that awful serious huh.
    sucks to be you.

ps: as for your attempt at insulting my hair or "jacked do". seeing as your opinion does not matter to me; guess who doesn't give two good hot forks. Good try though.

Yea, I think a lot of people took that offensive based on the replies. It is just rude. You clearly have nothing positive or any valid comments to add. I feel sorry for you. I hope you are more mature when you are answering your 911 calls. (sucks to be you?)