torturing your children...

Options
Melanie_RS
Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
Just wondering what "mean" thing you do to your children...for instance at 10 pm we have a rule that our 17 year old daughter turn off her phone and ipad and leave it in the hallway by our bedroom...and then it's time for bed. This ensures no texting or interrupted sleep. (awful isn't it!)

we also have a rule that you can only swear at the dinner table too. But so far, she hasn't done it. :/

mean parents!

Replies

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I like that idea and may have to cause a ruckus by enforcing it on the nephew who lives with us.
  • Melanie_RS
    Options
    I like that idea and may have to cause a ruckus by enforcing it on the nephew who lives with us.

the no technology after 10 or the swearing at the dinner table? LOL something about swearing in front of adults all of a sudden makes them clam up.
  • Typhanee83
    Typhanee83 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    My children (3 year old twins) HATE, HATE, HATE it when I count... giving them a short time frame to do something in. I give them a chance to follow direction, and if they dont within a reasonable amount of time, I start the countdown. The faster I count, the faster they move. I like to experiement with speed. They always scream "NO!! DON'T COUNT, MAMA!!" as they are scrambling. Lol. I love to see how fast they can move.
  • Julz2586
    Julz2586 Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    My children (3 year old twins) HATE, HATE, HATE it when I count... giving them a short time frame to do something in. I give them a chance to follow direction, and if they dont within a reasonable amount of time, I start the countdown. The faster I count, the faster they move. I like to experiement with speed. They always scream "NO!! DON'T COUNT, MAMA!!" as they are scrambling. Lol. I love to see how fast they can move.

ROFL!
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

Oh I love this one. Gotta try it on my son.
    If I see my son peed outside the toilet ( as most males do ) I make him clean it. Then mop. Also he has to lower the seat. One day my future daughter in law will thank me!
  • je551caDan13ls
    Options
    Okay my kids are older 12 and 14. My punishment is "harsh" in kid language. I make them listen to my kind of music. You know the music from the 70-80-90's. Mawuahh ha ha ha ha *evil laugh* The power old cd's have and the amount of joy...*ahem *I mean parental guidance I am giving them, makes the groaning, moaning and eye-rolling all worth it. O_o
  • Julz2586
    Julz2586 Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

the no technology after 10 or the swearing at the dinner table? LOL something about swearing in front of adults all of a sudden makes them clam up.

I like that idea.... although.... does that mean i'd have to abide by that rule too ? LOL! i'm on my phone until i pass out in bed! LMAO! but my stepdaughter is on her from from when she wakes up and sleeps with it under her pillow would love to be able to have that rule LMAO!
  • catshark209
    Options
    Okay my kids are older 12 and 14. My punishment is "harsh" is kid language. I make them listen to my kind of music. You know the music from the 70-80-90's. Mawuahh ha ha ha ha *evil laugh* The power old cd's have and the amount of joy...*ahem *I mean parental guidance I am giving them, makes the groaning, moaning and eye-rolling all worth it. O_o

I start singing and dancing if I hear music from the early 90's, in public. Anyone remember Informer?
  • JanSmelly
    JanSmelly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    They (two 4 year olds and a 2 year old) can't leave the table until everyone is finished eating. I eat really slowly.
  • je551caDan13ls
    Options
    Okay my kids are older 12 and 14. My punishment is "harsh" is kid language. I make them listen to my kind of music. You know the music from the 70-80-90's. Mawuahh ha ha ha ha *evil laugh* The power old cd's have and the amount of joy...*ahem *I mean parental guidance I am giving them, makes the groaning, moaning and eye-rolling all worth it. O_o

I start singing and dancing if I hear music from the early 90's, in public. Anyone remember Informer?

"boom boom down" ( sad that those words are the only clear ones I can remember in my head and to be truthful, they are prolly not right!)
  • Tashmayes
    Tashmayes Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    My 2.5 year old hates when i sing....so now I do it really loud! :)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I sing. Sadly, my son has declared that, while my singing voice is indeed terrible, it does not rise to the level of a sonic weapon that should be banned by the Geneva Conventions.
  • catshark209
    Options

"boom boom down" ( sad that those words are the only clear ones I can remember in my head and to be truthful, they are prolly not right!)

Lol it's mostly gibberish isn't it?
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what "mean" thing you do to your children...for instance at 10 pm we have a rule that our 17 year old daughter turn off her phone and ipad and leave it in the hallway by our bedroom...and then it's time for bed. This ensures no texting or interrupted sleep. (awful isn't it!)

You make your 17 year old go to bed at 10pm? That in and of itself is cruel and unusual punishment :-)

I have little ones... 3 and 6. Their most dreaded punishment is loss of the TV privilege. They're pretty sure they're going to die if they don't get to watch Dora and Mighty Machines. Also, making them take all of the shoes that have collected on the first floor to the second floor is pretty horrific.
  • je551caDan13ls
    Options
    I also have one for the video games...They have to earn time infront of the game by playing outside or doing other extra curricular activities...for example: My son can play 30 min of games if he is outside for 1 hour. My daughter can play her DS for 15 min if she reads for 30...yep insert eye-rolls here...
  • JanSmelly
    JanSmelly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My 2.5 year old hates when i sing....so now I do it really loud! :)

My kids hate my singing too. They aren't fond of my dancing either.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

You make your 17 year old go to bed at 10pm? That in and of itself is cruel and unusual punishment :-)

I have little ones... 3 and 6. Their most dreaded punishment is loss of the TV privilege. They're pretty sure they're going to die if they don't get to watch Dora and Mighty Machines. Also, making them take all of the shoes that have collected on the first floor to the second floor is pretty horrific.

Ha! Mine has to go to bed at 10, too. Because he won't wake up to an alarm clock and it's already hard enough to drag his butt out of bed. When he learns to wake up to something besides me caterwauling in his ear and hauling the blankets off him, he can stay up later! I threatened to get an alarm clock and make it play Adele because he hates Adele, but he says he'll break it.
  • Melanie_RS
    Options

yeah, but my daughter is an odd one, she has always just gone to bed early and doesn't like sleepovers because 'they stay up too late' SCORE FOR ME!!! LOL!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options

we also have a rule that you can only swear at the dinner table too. But so far, she hasn't done it. :/

mean parents!

Great rules! :)

I definitely plan on enforcing some sort of no technology at certain times or bedtime. That swearing at the dinner table one is hilarious!

My son is almost two and I guess the only "mean" thing right now that I do is that I...*gasp*....actually make him mind me. I can't tell you how many people say, "Oh he's fine...he's just little." Wrong. He knows right from wrong, and if he doesn't know something is wrong, that's why I'm teaching him.

@catshark209 - My favorite stations on Pandora are "Summer hits of the 90's", "90's r&b", and "90's alternative". :smile:
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    My children are not allowed to have any video game devices. They have all asked multiple times and have foolishly asked in front of friends only to show how awful we were...