torturing your children...

Options

Replies

• SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    I'm a MEAN mom... and frequently hear "This is the worst day of my life!" Which just means I'm doing my job right!!! I have four kids, 2 boy's 2 girls, and they range in age from 10 to 5.

My "meanest" or "latest" rule is if you do something mean or disrespectful to another member of the family then YOU owe THEM a chore! I make the chore assignment so that it is fair and goes with the severity of the offense. It has to be something that will be helpful to the offended party. Making a bed, picking up their laundry, washing windows, unloading the dishwasher, dusting, cleaning the bathroom, doing one of their reg. chores, etc...

If they don't like dinner and refuse to eat a decent / acceptable amount then it goes in the fridge and they get to have it for breakfast! It only takes once or twice of soggy taco's or cold soup before they decide that they will eat dinner when it's WARM!

If they don't behave in public or at church then they "EARN" laps... We have a long driveway and a lap is all the way to the end and back. If they have been warned more then once and still keep up the bad behavior then they earn laps that correspond with their age 5 year old starts with 5, 10 year old with 10 etc... If it continues they add additional laps to that number.

I've made my boy's 10 & 8 get out of bed and run laps when they won't settle down and go to bed and have been warned multiple times. They didn't think I was going to make them run when it was dark... But that is what car head lights are for! They went to bed quietly after the laps were done.

If they are being REALLY LOUD in the car and can't settle when asked they get to walk... They walk on the far side of the shoulder of the road and I follow behind with my hazards on. It takes longer to get home but at least they aren't yelling in the car! Thankfully we live in the middle of nowhere and there isn't much traffic! Usually all I have to say is "Do I need to stop the car so you can walk?!?!?"

I took my O.D.S. NEW BIKE away because he refused to wear his socks and shoes when riding it! It was just for two day's... but because he wouldn't stay off it until he was allowed to have it back it kept getting extended. So now it's at a friends house until he can earn it back... At this point it's not looking good!

They all have chores and are only allowed 30 minutes of TV each daily. So they can choose to watch a movie, and use all of their TV time together, or each gets to pick a 30 minute show. They have to play outside in the morning after breakfast and in the afternoon we have an allotted Quite time, when it's to hot to be outside... they can read, color, do puzzles, play card games etc... But no Video Games/TV/Computer....

Their beds have to be made, their rooms picked up, (Not perfect but according to their age.) and pet's have to be fed & watered before they have breakfast... I usually just have to ask "If you can't feed them then why should I feed you?"

I've been a little lax the last couple weeks... time to crack down again after the chaos that ensued today! Summer hours are over at our house! After three hours with friend and playing in the pool they destroyed their rooms and mine too! While I was making dinner in the kitchen!

In less then an hour their rooms went from being picked up and clean to COMPLETE DISASTER areas!!! Including drawers pulled out of the dressers and toy's all dumped out of toy boxes! They aren't going to be happy in the A.M.!!!

Wow that's really LONG!!! Sorry!!

I'm sure there are more... I told you I am a MEAN Mom!

P.S. They are losing everything but their bedding tomorrow! Can't keep it picked up and be respectful of other people's things then you don't need "things" of your own... they are going to be earning thing's back for a while!

I do not think you are a MEAN mom. I think you are very structured, and I applaud you for it. Personally, I'm not quite as structured as you are, but each of us has to do what works for us. I'm a teacher, and I wish more parents leaned toward your side of fence rather than the opposite side.

Sounds like you're doing a great job. :)
  • ScientistStudy
    ScientistStudy Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My four and five year old have to clean up the dog poop in the yard - every day! I also make them read every day and practice tying shoes. I certainly must be the devil!

In the long run, this is a good thing though. They will learn responsibility!
    My partners 12 year old little brother still can't tie his shoe laces. I tried to teach him :ohwell:
  • fishergreen
    fishergreen Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    They (two 4 year olds and a 2 year old) can't leave the table until everyone is finished eating. I eat really slowly.
    I love this! It's nice to slow down and eat as a family. I make my boys (11 and 9 years old) ask to be excused from the table. I make them address my friends as Mr. and Mrs. unless my friends are ok with their first names being used. Also if it's punishment time, I give them the "no screen policy". That means nothing with a screen may be used (ipod, computer, tv, etc). They hate that rule, so they usually behave pretty good.
  • StrengthIDidntKnow
    StrengthIDidntKnow Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Right now, the meanest thing I do to her is make her read for at least 1/2 hour a day and clean up her own toys.

My husband thinks it cruel that I forced Bon Jovi on her but after the Fresh Beat Band, they are her favorite so I must have done something right. :tongue:

ETA - No TV during dinner.
  • LaSutopia
    LaSutopia Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I like that idea and may have to cause a ruckus by enforcing it on the nephew who lives with us.

the no technology after 10 or the swearing at the dinner table? LOL something about swearing in front of adults all of a sudden makes them clam up.

I like that idea.... although.... does that mean i'd have to abide by that rule too ? LOL! i'm on my phone until i pass out in bed! LMAO! but my stepdaughter is on her from from when she wakes up and sleeps with it under her pillow would love to be able to have that rule LMAO!

I love this idea....but I would maybe add a hour or two during the day where you could not use any tech and had to figure out something else to do to entertain yourself....maybe a hobby of some sort. or reading a book...a real paper one.
  • LaSutopia
    LaSutopia Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I'm a MEAN mom... and frequently hear "This is the worst day of my life!" Which just means I'm doing my job right!!! I have four kids, 2 boy's 2 girls, and they range in age from 10 to 5.

My "meanest" or "latest" rule is if you do something mean or disrespectful to another member of the family then YOU owe THEM a chore! I make the chore assignment so that it is fair and goes with the severity of the offense. It has to be something that will be helpful to the offended party. Making a bed, picking up their laundry, washing windows, unloading the dishwasher, dusting, cleaning the bathroom, doing one of their reg. chores, etc...

If they don't like dinner and refuse to eat a decent / acceptable amount then it goes in the fridge and they get to have it for breakfast! It only takes once or twice of soggy taco's or cold soup before they decide that they will eat dinner when it's WARM!

If they don't behave in public or at church then they "EARN" laps... We have a long driveway and a lap is all the way to the end and back. If they have been warned more then once and still keep up the bad behavior then they earn laps that correspond with their age 5 year old starts with 5, 10 year old with 10 etc... If it continues they add additional laps to that number.

I've made my boy's 10 & 8 get out of bed and run laps when they won't settle down and go to bed and have been warned multiple times. They didn't think I was going to make them run when it was dark... But that is what car head lights are for! They went to bed quietly after the laps were done.

If they are being REALLY LOUD in the car and can't settle when asked they get to walk... They walk on the far side of the shoulder of the road and I follow behind with my hazards on. It takes longer to get home but at least they aren't yelling in the car! Thankfully we live in the middle of nowhere and there isn't much traffic! Usually all I have to say is "Do I need to stop the car so you can walk?!?!?"

I took my O.D.S. NEW BIKE away because he refused to wear his socks and shoes when riding it! It was just for two day's... but because he wouldn't stay off it until he was allowed to have it back it kept getting extended. So now it's at a friends house until he can earn it back... At this point it's not looking good!

They all have chores and are only allowed 30 minutes of TV each daily. So they can choose to watch a movie, and use all of their TV time together, or each gets to pick a 30 minute show. They have to play outside in the morning after breakfast and in the afternoon we have an allotted Quite time, when it's to hot to be outside... they can read, color, do puzzles, play card games etc... But no Video Games/TV/Computer....

Their beds have to be made, their rooms picked up, (Not perfect but according to their age.) and pet's have to be fed & watered before they have breakfast... I usually just have to ask "If you can't feed them then why should I feed you?"

I've been a little lax the last couple weeks... time to crack down again after the chaos that ensued today! Summer hours are over at our house! After three hours with friend and playing in the pool they destroyed their rooms and mine too! While I was making dinner in the kitchen!

In less then an hour their rooms went from being picked up and clean to COMPLETE DISASTER areas!!! Including drawers pulled out of the dressers and toy's all dumped out of toy boxes! They aren't going to be happy in the A.M.!!!

P.S. They are losing everything but their bedding tomorrow! Can't keep it picked up and be respectful of other people's things then you don't need "things" of your own... they are going to be earning thing's back for a while!

I do not think you are a MEAN mom. I think you are very structured, and I applaud you for it. Personally, I'm not quite as structured as you are, but each of us has to do what works for us. I'm a teacher, and I wish more parents leaned toward your side of fence rather than the opposite side.

Sounds like you're doing a great job. :)

I think I just found my idol....lol...NOW you should be a roll model for ALL parents these days....really, the world would be a better place.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    One time when my nephew refused to get up for school I dumped a glass of cold water on his face. Don't mess with auntie :tongue:
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    My children (3 year old twins) HATE, HATE, HATE it when I count... giving them a short time frame to do something in. I give them a chance to follow direction, and if they dont within a reasonable amount of time, I start the countdown. The faster I count, the faster they move. I like to experiement with speed. They always scream "NO!! DON'T COUNT, MAMA!!" as they are scrambling. Lol. I love to see how fast they can move.

Three-year-old twins! I'll bet they're a handful! But what fun!! :flowerforyou:
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    My children are grown now but my favorite was when they were preteen and teenagers and we would be out in public and they were acting up or giving attitude I would say, " Do you want me to embarass you?" They knew I would nothing too bad I was embarassment enough at that age. LOL
  • nikki0960
    nikki0960 Posts: 13
    Options
    I can't punish my kids by letting them listen to the music from the 70's 80's and such. They love that type of music,,,lol
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I once went crazy and took EVERY toy away for 48hours. I mean I left NOTHING. My four year old still remembers that weekend.
  • azziria
    azziria Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I will replace one item of lost school uniform a year. After that, the cost of replacing it comes out of the culprit's allowance. And when they broke my lamp (after being told twice in quick succession to stay away from it) I made them not only pay for the replacement but also the mileage for me to drive to Ikea and back to buy it (and when they moaned I told them to just be thankful that I wasn't charging them for my time, too...).

They're 12 and 14, they have to learn to take care of stuff.

They're also smart, funny and gorgeous and I'm a very proud mom!
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    One night I went out to dinner with some friends, and my mom/brother took the other car to the restaurant, used the spare key to move the car I drove, and waited to watch me freak out when I left the restaurant and couldn't find the car....which was now on the other side of the parking lot.

Aside from that, not a lot of crazy rules in our house, just use good judgement and common sense. I don't know how you guys keep up with all the rules you have, I think it would be exhausting having to manage kids so closely! But maybe I'll change wehn I have my own...
  • maggie500
    maggie500 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    well, I enforced one of my rules today. Our 11 and 9 year old got in trouble and grounded on Saturday - No pool, no friends, no telephone, they are not allowed to stay home while I run into town to the grocery store. On top of all of this, they had to do all my usual Monday chores by themselves, while I sat and put my feet up today. They had to tear apart the kitchen, scrub counters, empty and reload the dishwasher, sweep and mop the floor, and then dust and vacuum the livingroom. They also had to take care of all the recycling and trash cans. This is a two hour job for me - it took them 2 1/2 hrs to get it done. They apologized for their actions, but they still have 3 more days of grounding.

That's awesome. GIves them discipline and gives you what's probably a much needed break!! I love it.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    One night I went out to dinner with some friends, and my mom/brother took the other car to the restaurant, used the spare key to move the car I drove, and waited to watch me freak out when I left the restaurant and couldn't find the car....which was now on the other side of the parking lot.

Aside from that, not a lot of crazy rules in our house, just use good judgement and common sense. I don't know how you guys keep up with all the rules you have, I think it would be exhausting having to manage kids so closely! But maybe I'll change wehn I have my own...

I'd totally screw with my kids like that
  • Kimeanb74
    Kimeanb74 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Love it!
  • GermanicKnight
    Options
    No electronics in the bedroom, period, for my 5 year old son. Only books and drawing paper/crayons are allowed. Electronics are in the basement and he has 1 hour 'screen time' during the week. 3 hours during weekend.

I also make him do 50 stomach crunches a day and 50 jumping jacks. EVERY MORNING. That is why he has a 6 pack.

292525_3928655905171_238076318_n.jpg
  • maggie500
    maggie500 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

That is so great that I'm copying it and sending it to my husband. Man, are my kids going to hate you! I just love it.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I used to have trouble waking up in the morning when I was a teenager. My mom tried a variety of different tactics to get me out of the bed. She turned on the light, I'd pull the covers over my head to block it out. She'd sprinkle cold water on my face, but it didn't phase me. She'd pull the covers off onto the floor, I'd just roll over and curl up into the fetal position. Finally, she discovered that I find early morning cheerfulness VERY annoying, so around 5:30am, she'd start singing at the top of her lungs, "YOU ARE MY SUNSHINE, MY ONLY SUNSHINE! YOU MAKE ME HAAAAPPPPYYYYY WHEN SKIES ARE GRAY....." or "RISE AND SHINE, LAZY SLEEPYHEAD! GET THOSE LAZY BONES OUT OF THE BED...". I'd holler, "PLEASE STOOOOOPPPPP!!!" She kept singing anyway because she knew that I'd get up just so she'd shut up.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    My children are grown now but my favorite was when they were preteen and teenagers and we would be out in public and they were acting up or giving attitude I would say, " Do you want me to embarass you?" They knew I would nothing too bad I was embarassment enough at that age. LOL

Mine is, "Do you want me to still take you places?" That's the ultimate threat for my 16 year old (he can't drive here like back in the states. He gets to drive on base only and I have to drive him to the base anyway). I don't even have to say it loud.