torturing your children...

Options

Replies

• briebear77
    briebear77 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Well I don't have kids but once when I was in high school I was being lippy with my mom. So she came and took my car from the high school parking lot while I was in school and didn't tell me. I didn't take the bus because I thought I had my car at school. She wouldn't come get me when I called her so I had to walk almost 4 miles home. She thought it was hilarious...
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,069 Member
    Options
    I was fighting an uphill battle with the kids because my wife would undercut any discipline. Send them to their rooms, a little while later, Mom lets them out.. Take something away, Mom would give it back or replace it. etc...

The punishment they liked least was for fighting... I sat them in chairs facing each other and they had to stay there until I was satisfied they'd resolved the problem. They knew the more they argued, the longer they would sit. It seemed to work... and since I monitored, my wife didn't give them early release.
  • sdavis448
    sdavis448 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I make my 2.5 year old try a bite of everything on his plate before he can get down.

If he chooses not to finish.. he gets oatmeal or a peanut butter jelly sandwhich ad no treats.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    The one thing I never understood with my dad was bedtimes. My parents were divorced so when I spent the weekend with him, I was always forced to go to bed at 9 with no TV, no computer, and even no reading. I was also expected to get up at 6 am, 5 am on Sundays for church. I also did most of the chores except cooking or cleaning because my dad didn't trust me.

When I was younger and faked being sick my mom would pull the cord that connected the computer to the dial-up (this was the days of AOL) and keep it in her purse so I couldn't spend all day online. I used to hate her for it, but I know why she did it. I didn't have a cell phone and I didn't watch much TV so she took away the one thing I did like.

Personally I wish I could do half of what my parents did to me, to my 8 year old cousin. She's never been spanked, swatted, grounded, or had things taken away that weren't given back five minutes later. When my mother threatened to spank her with a belt for not listening to her a couple days ago, she got mad and stormed out the room. She wasn't scared or intimidated, she was mad someone had actually said she was being bad.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I make my 2.5 year old try a bite of everything on his plate before he can get down.

If he chooses not to finish.. he gets oatmeal or a peanut butter jelly sandwhich ad no treats.

An older cousin of mine had to do that with a younger cousin who is her nephew. His birth mom abused him and he barely ate so he adopted the mentality he hated everything. When my cousin adopted him when he was around 7 or so, she had to make him try everything she would make because he wouldn't eat. It worked for him, now he eats loads of stuff and will willingly try something before he says he doesn't like it.
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    My kids just think I'm strict. LOL I think I'll have them read these posts!

I started early on with my kids at making them mind, so now at ages 9, 11. and 14, I have some pretty awesome kids. Most of the time, all I have to do now is talk to them about their behavior, and it changes.

My 14 yr old doesn't have a cell phone, though. He hasn't had one for about nine months now because of a text I found on his phone. Nope, they don't get privacy at my house. I check all texts and FB messages at random. I didn't delete his FB account, but I did go through and delete certain friends. Also, I simply grounded him from it. He has worked hard these past nine months to prove that he will make wiser choices with his texting, so I am getting him another cellphone, which he is helping to pay for.

My 10 yr old had a cellphone until he let his brother use it while he was grounded. So, now, neither of them have phones. :(

My youngest daughter has one while her two older brothers do not. Yet, she has proven to keep up with hers and be responsible with it. Therefore, she gets to keep hers. :)

They all do chores. We work together, though.
  • Ydalgorf
    Ydalgorf Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm a MEAN mom... and frequently hear "This is the worst day of my life!" Which just means I'm doing my job right!!! I have four kids, 2 boy's 2 girls, and they range in age from 10 to 5.

My "meanest" or "latest" rule is if you do something mean or disrespectful to another member of the family then YOU owe THEM a chore! I make the chore assignment so that it is fair and goes with the severity of the offense. It has to be something that will be helpful to the offended party. Making a bed, picking up their laundry, washing windows, unloading the dishwasher, dusting, cleaning the bathroom, doing one of their reg. chores, etc...

If they don't like dinner and refuse to eat a decent / acceptable amount then it goes in the fridge and they get to have it for breakfast! It only takes once or twice of soggy taco's or cold soup before they decide that they will eat dinner when it's WARM!

If they don't behave in public or at church then they "EARN" laps... We have a long driveway and a lap is all the way to the end and back. If they have been warned more then once and still keep up the bad behavior then they earn laps that correspond with their age 5 year old starts with 5, 10 year old with 10 etc... If it continues they add additional laps to that number.

I've made my boy's 10 & 8 get out of bed and run laps when they won't settle down and go to bed and have been warned multiple times. They didn't think I was going to make them run when it was dark... But that is what car head lights are for! They went to bed quietly after the laps were done.

If they are being REALLY LOUD in the car and can't settle when asked they get to walk... They walk on the far side of the shoulder of the road and I follow behind with my hazards on. It takes longer to get home but at least they aren't yelling in the car! Thankfully we live in the middle of nowhere and there isn't much traffic! Usually all I have to say is "Do I need to stop the car so you can walk?!?!?"

I took my O.D.S. NEW BIKE away because he refused to wear his socks and shoes when riding it! It was just for two day's... but because he wouldn't stay off it until he was allowed to have it back it kept getting extended. So now it's at a friends house until he can earn it back... At this point it's not looking good!

They all have chores and are only allowed 30 minutes of TV each daily. So they can choose to watch a movie, and use all of their TV time together, or each gets to pick a 30 minute show. They have to play outside in the morning after breakfast and in the afternoon we have an allotted Quite time, when it's to hot to be outside... they can read, color, do puzzles, play card games etc... But no Video Games/TV/Computer....

Their beds have to be made, their rooms picked up, (Not perfect but according to their age.) and pet's have to be fed & watered before they have breakfast... I usually just have to ask "If you can't feed them then why should I feed you?"

I've been a little lax the last couple weeks... time to crack down again after the chaos that ensued today! Summer hours are over at our house! After three hours with friend and playing in the pool they destroyed their rooms and mine too! While I was making dinner in the kitchen!

In less then an hour their rooms went from being picked up and clean to COMPLETE DISASTER areas!!! Including drawers pulled out of the dressers and toy's all dumped out of toy boxes! They aren't going to be happy in the A.M.!!!

Wow that's really LONG!!! Sorry!!

I'm sure there are more... I told you I am a MEAN Mom!

P.S. They are losing everything but their bedding tomorrow! Can't keep it picked up and be respectful of other people's things then you don't need "things" of your own... they are going to be earning thing's back for a while!
  • MUByM
    MUByM Posts: 208
    Options
    My son (3 y/o) loves to play with the 3ds so I tell him that I am going to throw it in the trash and give all his games to his 10 y/o uncle. He starts yelling NOOOOO! I also tell him that if he keeps doing whatever bad thing he is doing, that he will not watch the monkey (Curious George) anymore. I also take away his giant Elmo and hide it along with his blankey. He starts yelling to give him his Elmo and blankey and that he wants to watch monkey.

When he is yelling for no apparent reason I tell him to be quiet and he just yells louder so I tell him to get out of my room and when he's ready to be quiet he can come back in. Most of the time he doesn't stop on his own. So, I open the door and ask him if he's ready to come in and he says yes and stops the yelling.

When he doesn't want to get dressed I grab my sunglasses, purse and keys and say okay I'm leaving bye-bye without you so now you can stay here with your dada. He quickly says no mami no wanna go to the store and he lets me dress him.

Another thing I do when I catch him doing things is ask him what are you doing and he tells me and I ask him why and he says that he doesn't know so I sit down, cross my arms, not say anything and just stare at him, he will come up to me and try to talk to me and I say nope I don't wanna talk to you. I'm mad at you because you do not listen. He then gets sad and says I'm sorry mama.
  • GoTakizawa
    GoTakizawa Posts: 21
    Options
    My 9 year old hates it when I slurp, so now I try to slurp as loud as possible when she's around. I know, really mature.
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    my kids when i get to the number 3
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    When the triplets were small and when Sophs was still only about 18 months old I used to get my exercise and 'time out' by pushing them in the quad buggy for an hour or so. They hated the buggy and often at least one of them would cry so I used to turn my ipod up and walk happily along. People would stop in their cars or pedestrians to tell me that one (or all) of the babies were crying. I used to just nod and say yes I know, thats why I have my ipod turned up.........they stopped nosing in after a while.

The triplets hate it when my husband calls them pink, purple and cream. They are carbon copies of each other and until the showed their own personalities I used to only dress them in their own colour so he would know (and me too sometimes) which baby was which. I'm sure we have made mistakes so many times but now they know their names and correct people when they get it wrong. It really did make it easier when people said who am I holding/looking at and I could say, oh the purple one is Kate......lol!!
  • Jo_permiegirl
    Jo_permiegirl Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    @ Ydalgorf 3.38pm today - I love love love your attitude to parenting!!!! Honey keep it going. If only other parents were as disiplened and structured as you. You sound hard but very fair which is what my kids say about me too..

I don't have many 'rules' as such as mine are 16, 14 & 12 but they know they are to be honest, respectful, courteous, always put in their best effort at anything they do and they have no issues with Mum & Dad. The one major no no in our house is lying. Everyone in this house knows if you have done something wrong then thats to be dealt with fairly and appropriately but if you lie about it then watch out.... the sky falls down. All 3 have learnt this very early in their years. The flip side is I am dead honest with them too. If they ask me a question they get an age appropriate straight answer.

Saying that the meanest thing I did was when my daughter was 8 she refused to clean her room so I brought the wheely bin in from outside and loaded EVERYTHING that was not put away into it. I has not been an issue since.
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Recently we have started turning the electricity off in their room via fuse box at a certain time at night. At that point, all portable devices come out of their room as well. (The fuse we flip does not affect their lights or AC unit). They are NOT allowed to turn it back on the next day. Only parents can touch it. Do not ask to have turned on until you have completed your chores and have eaten breakfast.

Do not ask me to take you anywhere until these conditions are met.

My kids do the laundry and kitchen and their rooms. The youngest cleans their toilet since he was the sprayer. (Parents have plenty of chores left over--don't worry).

Do not hang clothes up sloppy or you will redo it. Do not put dishes away improperly or you will redo it.

I do most of the cooking but I do pay my middle child, who shows an interest, for every meal he offers and cooks.

My youngest can go outside when he finishes his chores but he must report where he will be and check in every hour. (Too many times of having to search for him for too long that lead to this rule).

During the school year, electronics can be earned after dinner and bathes if homework and chores have been completed and verified. Before dinner, outside play is earned after chores and dinner is verified.

I basically limit how often they have after school activities. Routine is very important and my kids need more support in getting their school work accomplished. Now that my oldest is finally able to handle both school and other activities, he gets a little more leeway here as long as he keeps up his grades and homework. During the summer, they can sign up for more.

My oldest is 16 but due to recent and past actions, he can only go places that have parental or staff (teen center) supervision. I will check. Having said that, I do allow him to have an active social life, particularly on weekends and in the summer.

I think I heart you!

We do a similar routine at our house, we have to with 5 kids. Everything is earned in our house and during school season, no free play until homework is done. This year I'm implementing chores and baths into the mix daily. This past year was a MAJOR struggle with those two items and combine that with being pregnant with the fifth and utterly exhausted; my boys got a free ride a lot.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Okay my kids are older 12 and 14. My punishment is "harsh" in kid language. I make them listen to my kind of music. You know the music from the 70-80-90's. Mawuahh ha ha ha ha *evil laugh* The power old cd's have and the amount of joy...*ahem *I mean parental guidance I am giving them, makes the groaning, moaning and eye-rolling all worth it. O_o

Hilarious! I'm going to use this one when my kids are older.
  • kympow
    kympow Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    :grumble: bump for later....theese are great!!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    My four and five year old have to clean up the dog poop in the yard - every day! I also make them read every day and practice tying shoes. I certainly must be the devil!
  • foodfight247
    foodfight247 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    My children (3 year old twins) HATE, HATE, HATE it when I count... giving them a short time frame to do something in. I give them a chance to follow direction, and if they dont within a reasonable amount of time, I start the countdown. The faster I count, the faster they move. I like to experiement with speed. They always scream "NO!! DON'T COUNT, MAMA!!" as they are scrambling. Lol. I love to see how fast they can move.
    [/

haha! Still works with my soon to be 7yr old! I try to compromise in our house - so if something is asked and its not done then he gets an ultimatum - no Xbox, PS3 or whatever if it's not within a certain timeframe.
  • stevewynjones
    stevewynjones Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I use the rack, or on occasion waterboarding or I have even have been known to use pliers on their.....OH.....NOT that kind of torture.... :happy:

:laugh:

I find that any kind of "guidance" is considered "cruel" by 2 and 4 year olds.....and dont get me started on an 8 year old ....

.....*sigh* :smile:
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I just want my wife and children to be the best they can be. I don't take pleasure in beating them. I just feel I owe it to them to help them improve as human beings.
  • ScientistStudy
    ScientistStudy Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My mam would skip.. in public.. while grabbing my hand.
    Torture enough.