Should I give up

Options
12346»

Replies

• jennnnn2u
    jennnnn2u Posts: 133
    Options
    No. I didn't even need to read your post to know that the answer is an unequivocal "NO!"
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    You sort of sound like you already gave up. Maybe you need to find out if losing weight is really what you want to do then work on finding a good method from there. You won't get any help from supplements. They only work for people who just want to put in extra effort and are already working out pretty hard.
    ^^^
    THIS
    People can offer you encouragement and inspiration but true motivation is all internal.
    We either have that drive or need to find a way to ignite it.

To light that fire, be honest, and answer for yourself:
    Why do I want to be healthy and fit? Discover the real answer, and attach great pleasure to that as you set your goals.
    Feel and experience that joy when you think of being healthy and fit.

And then ask yourself why do you NOT want to be fat?
    Connect with that reason burning pain that you can really feel every time you think about being fat.

This is the key to internal motivation.
    Few people can actually do this which is why most people fail in their efforts over and over.
    Take the time to do this, and you'll touch off a powder keg of determination and drive.
    Sure, you may have challenges; we all do, but you'll keep punching and reach your goals.

All Is Possible!
  • Pheonix2012
    Pheonix2012 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. There is NEVER a good enough reason to give up in life. Talk to your doctor and see how they can help.
  • Pete969
    Pete969 Posts: 5
    Options
    I've just watched the 'Beyond Dieting' video about what and not to eat.

The 'Fat burning zone' was an interesting revelation to me.

Pete
  • jennnnn2u
    jennnnn2u Posts: 133
    Options
    Okay, so now that I've read it... :tongue:

I think you just need to be more consistent with logging. Give yourself pep talks and keep reminding yourself that even though you might want the food, you don't necessarily NEED the food. Don't let the food control you. When I feel like I want to eat when I know I'm not really hungry, I start looking at success stories. Before you know it, the urge will pass.

Good luck!
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,891 Member
    Options
    If you give up, you just have to start over again.

It's better to keep going and trying and get results and then keep it off.

I see you only have 12 pounds to lose so that isn't bad but if you have so little to lose, it can go slowly and that requires patience.

Stick to the basic MFP plan, tweak your food (make sure you include healthy foods in your day), tweak your exercises and see what happens.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    You sound like you already gave up. And you sound like, to date, you have not put much effort into it anyway. It takes more than logging occasionally. I am menopausal as well. It is not a reason to give up. It may mean a little extra effort. But never give up.
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Eat more calories OP

How can you say that when you have no clue what she is doing now?

And on a completely unrelated note, is it really so much more effort to write "you" instead of "u", "you're" instead of "ur," "people" instead of "ppl," etc.? Sorry, perhaps you're 12, not a native speaker, and learned English from texting. If so, my apologies. But it's incredibly annoying trying to have an adult discussion when you write like that.

u no waht im sayn?

--P

im not trying to have a conversation with U

go sit down somewhere
  • joyhite
    joyhite Posts: 1
    Options
    Looks like you are getting some great advice. LOG log LOG!!! I have felt like you feel many times. Writing down everything has been the missing ingredient for success. I have lost 60 pounds. I am stuggling to lose the last bit of weight, but I keep writing everything down. I made lots of excuses before. When I knew that I really wanted it and was willing to do the work, that is when I finally started working.
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    I have been in this site for 6-7 months and have gained weight. I log occasionally. I need a jump start. I truly feel low and I started the year 188.8 lbs and now I am 193.7lbs. I am menopausal and all the will power I have is seeming to be drained. I feel maybe I am destined to be this weight. I would some constructive advice,do I take a break,do I start slowly cutting calories, what am I supposed to do.Should I take supplements like L carnithine, green tea, zinc or any thing to see some light.

It seems like you need to set yourself up for some small victories to kickstart your motivation.

Definitely log everything, logging occasionally isn't going to do it.

Are you exercising? Even just getting out for a daily walk will do wonders.

At the end of the day, losing weight is about mental fortitude. Other things in your life need to be in order to be in the right frame of mind to lose weight. Is the rest of your life all good?
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm peri-menopausal and I've lost 38 pounds since March. Using menopause is just an excuse. You have to want to do this. It's not something you can do just to lose weight. It's a lifetime commitment. If you don't want to change, you wont. If you just take a few weeks and dedicate yourself to logging all of your food and trying to get some exercise, even just walking, then you will see results. Maybe that's what you need to boost your motivation. Until you want to commit, there is really nothing anyone can say that can help you.
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You should never give up on something you truly want. If you persist, somehow, you'll find a way to make it work. There are people on this website that have lost 100, 200, and even 300 pounds or more! They had MUCH more weight to lose than you do and they sure didn't give up! Maybe you should check out the Success Story subforum. Everyone there is a great inspiration, especially on days that you feel like you can't do it anymore.
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the posts, but...if it's what you really want - DON'T GIVE UP!!

Log everyday - all day....I don't always eat perfectly, but my trick is that I pack a bag for work. It is food that I've typically put a lot of thought into - good proteins, carbs... I log everything, first thing in the morning...if I know what I'm planning for dinner I log that too. Then I see if I have anything left, how I've done with my calories, macros...I log the bad stuff too, and I have some really bad days, but it's not everyday.

Slow and steady, but you have to really want it. Good luck!
  • kzandarski
    kzandarski Posts: 51
    Options
    I'll tell you why you shouldn't give up...

My dad had cancer for 8 years. He made a lot of plans for end of life. He wanted to die at home. The home he had raised his family in surrounded by his family. However, when it came down to it his weight prevented us from caring for him at home. it breaks my heart to think that I couldn't honor his last wish because of his weight. I never want to do that to my children.

That being said, some morning exercise is the best motivation for me. A walk gives me time to think about what I want my day to be like nutrition wise. I can plan my meals and snacks. I can plan to journal. (some days I pre journal). I take one day at a time. I forgive myself for mistakes and start each day as Day 1.

Good luck - Work hard
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give you is to log everyday, even if you go WAY over on your calories. I hit spells where I don't want to eat healthy or really try. They are MUCH shorter if I am tracking and so there is less yo-yoing. It took me like 7 years to finally get that.

So, please don't be discouraged because it happens to a of people. I've been within 5-10 pounds of my current weight for 8 years. I have maybe 15 more pounds to lose and sometimes I want to say "screw it" and just quit. But I know if I do all the weight I have lost (about 40 pounds on WW in 2004) will come back -- plus more. About a year ago I realized if I tracked all the time, even when I was "off" -- I got back "on" a lot sooner. I'm just about to crack into the 140's after trying for what seems like ever.

If you just keep with it, you will get there.