What delicious food are you allergic to?

Options

Replies

• MissyMissy18
    MissyMissy18 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    So, it's not a true allergy, and it's not a FOOD, per se... but drinking alcohol makes me sneeze for about 5 minutes straight! Some types are worse than others (red wine is usually the worst, and it's my favorite!). I think it has something to do with sulfates as other aged foods can cause it too... certain cheeses, even coffee sometimes.

...not that I've ever let that stop me! :drinker:
  • scollins1982
    Options
    Mint and 90% of stuff in the mint family. I have to be very careful of spices. Then there's crab, shrimp, and crawfish, melon and strawberries. I can do melon and strawberries in controlled portions but crab and shrimp and crawfish which make me puff up like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man!
  • jiggalude
    jiggalude Posts: 53
    Options
    After I got pregnant I could no longer eat almonds, cashews, or any type of seafood. I also can't take vitamins or anything with Omega-3 or fish oils added. Almonds were my favorite! :( The allergies have seemingly gotten worse the more time that passes.
  • MissyMissy18
    MissyMissy18 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Apples :( And especially now, in the summer, they look so juicy and delicious. That is the one I miss. It's actually a pollen allergy. I'm also allerigic to most raw fruits and veggies, which makes it a beast to lose weight. I can't snack on carrots or celery.

Ooohh, my sister has similar allergies!! Apples, carrots, celery, berries, nuts, etc. etc... it totally sucks!! :(
  • DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    Options
    Wine!! It makes my nose run & I start to sneeze a lot because of the sulfites. But I have a solution: I keep a box of kleenex handy if I plan on having a glass (or two, or three)... ;) I do love my wine.
  • womaniam
    womaniam Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to chocolate
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Alcohol.........I can get away with one drink usually, but more than that I start puking. I've never been drunk because I get sick before I can ever get to that point. I doubt I'm missing anything :)
  • allymacary
    allymacary Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm not allergic to any food...maybe that was part of my problem... :tongue:

Haha, me too!!
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Apples :( And especially now, in the summer, they look so juicy and delicious. That is the one I miss. It's actually a pollen allergy. I'm also allerigic to most raw fruits and veggies, which makes it a beast to lose weight. I can't snack on carrots or celery.

Me too! Plus peanuts and tree nuts.
    I miss peaches in the summer :(
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    i am also allergic to avocados--and i never meet ANYONE with the same allergy: crazy! i get intense stomach pain, nausea, gas, generally just feel like i am dying.

also, allergic to so many foods that i lived on for years, and never realized how much they were hurting me until i elminated them:
    -all dairy
    -all artificial sweetners
    -excessive amounts of processed soy
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't have any food allergies, but if I eat fresh pineapple or black walnut I get irritating mouth ulcers. Fresh tomato, eggplant and a few other foods will do it sometimes if eaten alone, but even a brownie with black walnuts or a fruit salad that contains fresh pineapple will do it, even if I pick the pineapple out. Just the fact that it was there is usually enough.

So, I don't eat pineapple and stick to English walnuts. It's been this way all my life so I don't really think about it except occasionally when I have to pass up a really delicious looking fruit salad because of the pineapple.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Almonds and avocados. :sad:

And black olives are just icky.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to shellfish, and I really enjoy shrimp but it will kill me. Sesame seeds, the core of a pineapple (weird I know), wheat, gluten (in almost everything), fresh coconut, dairy......it sucks
  • sherry98008
    sherry98008 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Shellfish. I get giant hives that last a week!
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    i am also allergic to avocados--and i never meet ANYONE with the same allergy: crazy! i get intense stomach pain, nausea, gas, generally just feel like i am dying.

Me too, and I don't feel better until I've tossed my....avocados.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Wine!! It makes my nose run & I start to sneeze a lot because of the sulfites. But I have a solution: I keep a box of kleenex handy if I plan on having a glass (or two, or three)... ;) I do love my wine.
    or organic wine has no sulfates and actually tastes good! Sulfates is also what gives people the headaches after drinking a whole bottle
  • TheBigBoots
    TheBigBoots Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to chocolate

Me too, although I have to say, it's actually turned out to be kind of a good thing. So much easier to avoid candy when you're forced to cut chocolate out of your diet.
  • nataliefamily3
    Options
    I am allergic to peanut butter and shrimp, so sad. Developed the shrimp one working in a sea food place while pregnant, no fun.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I had a terrible reaction to cantaloupe once. I ate some and then went right to the gym and after my work out, my skin was broken out and my throat started to close up. I've since been tested for a cantaloupe allergy (which is very rare) and I don't have one. However, I was told that sometimes when you're allergic to one thing your body will think something else is the thing you are allergic to. Having a reaction to cantaloupe but not being allergic is very common with people who are allergic to tree pollen, which I am severely allergic to. I still eat my cantaloupe but always keep Bendryl nearby and I never eat a ton of it.
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Corn. Which really sucks because I am in Texas so that eliminates 1/2 the menu at most restaurants. One of my fav places to go I can only order 1 thing that isn't corn!