What delicious food are you allergic to?

Options

Replies

• gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Bananas. But since I started eating better, it's subsided.

Tomatoes.

Peanuts and tree nuts.

Cantelope is THE worst. Anything seedy, basically. A ton more. I forgot - it's all in my chart at my immunologist's office. haha
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Lobster, shrimp, crab

I can eat clams and oysters though. Something in the protein structure of those things that makes me turn into a smurf, I just stop breathing.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I don't have an anaphylactic reaction to it, but I'm allergic to milk proteins. My immune system responds like it's a virus and I get ear infections and sinus infections if I consume too much dairy. I love milk, ice cream etc. I have been able to eat yogurt every day but once I get a sinus infection I have to lay off ALL dairy til the congestion is gone...
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Well I didnt think I was allergic to any foods but after reading this I wonder if I am. Maybe some of my off days or weird stomach things are actually food allergies? May have to start paying attention to what I have eaten when certain things happen.
  • ryall70
    ryall70 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Shrimp :( Was fine til my last pregnancy. But I still eat it with several Benedryl :)
  • katec0621
    katec0621 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Peanuts, wheat, soy, and corn. Not deathly allergic, but will make me very sick to my stomach and I'll break out in hives, especially if 2 or more of these are mixed together. Multiple benadryl helps, but its usually not worth it. . . .
  • ser0630
    ser0630 Posts: 223
    Options
    I'm allergic to fish and seafood. I can't even eat freshwater fish, like walleye. I could go into anaphylaxis. I can't even go into Red Lobster or Joe's Crab Shack without nausea. This really sucks because I used to be able eat shrimp, crab, etc. without ANY problems until I developed an allergy to it at age 17.

I'm also allergic to kiwi.
  • Talazws
    Talazws Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have a gluten intolerance and a diary intolerance, won't kill me to eat them but I do get sick for days!

Gluten will make my face and abdomen swell up, give me horrible stomach and intestinal pain, and will completely mess up my digestive system for about four days. Dairy does the same thing, minus the swelling, and makes me sick for about two days. I used to think I had a peanut allergy, but oddly since removing dairy and gluten from my diet I can eat them again! Awesome because I LOVE peanut butter!

Also, some kind of hot pepper gives me contact hives on my lips, and on my hands if I touch them. I haven't been able to figure out what kind is causing it, because it always happens with prepared foods that have multiple kinds of peppers in them. I never really cook with hot peppers myself, other than crushed red pepper seasoning-- which does give me hives if I use too much, but again, has different kinds of peppers in it.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I have a gluten intolerance and a diary intolerance, won't kill me to eat them but I do get sick for days!

Gluten will make my face and abdomen swell up, give me horrible stomach and intestinal pain, and will completely mess up my digestive system for about four days. Dairy does the same thing, minus the swelling, and makes me sick for about two days. I used to think I had a peanut allergy, but oddly since removing dairy and gluten from my diet I can eat them again! Awesome because I LOVE peanut butter!

Also, some kind of hot pepper gives me contact hives on my lips, and on my hands if I touch them. I haven't been able to figure out what kind is causing it, because it always happens with prepared foods that have multiple kinds of peppers in them. I never really cook with hot peppers myself, other than crushed red pepper seasoning-- which does give me hives if I use too much, but again, has different kinds of peppers in it.

My daughter has the same allergies with broccoli added. It has been very hard on her. She has had to change colleges and living arrangements her reactions were so severe.
  • subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Pine is my only alergy and until I discovered hummus I thought it would never be an issue. Not bad considering food allergies just met someone alergic to corn products and soy combined that=. Everything
  • sugarbunnie
    Options
    mangoes, walnuts, artificial sweeteners and preservatives of any kind: all make my throat really tight, tongue swollen, and i get hivey and itchy all over. the mangoes and walnuts allergies i didn't develop until i was in my early 30s (mangoes were my favorite fruit!)

seafood of any kind and i'm vomiting for hours.

i also can't have gluten (i have celiacs), or dairy (hello, lactose intolerance).
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    gluten :( and everything I <3 has it in it sigh!
  • Ashly744
    Ashly744 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Bananas, strawberries, grapes, watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe, tomatoes, and more. Mainly fruit. It increases all the time. I recently experience the same symptoms eating apples and carrots. It's always something new with the fruits and vegetables. They give me a itchy throat, and ears. Sometimes hives on my lips. I don't cut back on eating them because I love fruit, but I do plan on having an allergist test me to make sure its nothing serious.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    The list is too long. And yet I still have no trouble finding more than enough to eat.

The worst one seems to be almonds. Used to be able to eat them, they would just give me sores in my mouth if I had too many. Then I had anaphylaxis from them once (well, a single bite of a Lara bar containing almonds, walnuts, and dates, all of which were "can't have to much of" foods) so have avoided them since. Last Sunday, I picked up some almond bits from off the floor at church where one of the little girls I teach spit them, and had an immediate allergic reaction from touching them. First time I've had a contact allergy to one of my foods . . .
  • rowdylibrarian
    rowdylibrarian Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm anaphylacticly allergic to eggplant, bell peppers, tomatillos, and, of all things, oregano. As you might imagine, these allergies make it very difficult to eat Mexican, Italian, or Mediterranean!

The bigger question: how do you handle ordering at a restaurant? I get tired of doing my verbal spiel, and I'm starting to think of printing some "business cards" with my allergies on them, and just giving it to the server to give to the chef. I've had too many times where there has been a misunderstanding, or they "didn't realize that Italian Seasoning has oregano in it" (at an ITALIAN restaurant!). I left by ambulance that time. Sigh.
  • lexishea
    lexishea Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Shrimp. *sigh* ..... I miss shrimp. :sad:
    (Not enough to end up in the hospital, though...) :laugh:
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I'm not allergic to anything :bigsmile: :glasses:
  • kionig
    kionig Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Way too many that will kill me. Fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, strawberries and chocolate. Then there are others I'm allergic to, but won't kill me, nightshade vegetables, mangoes, peaches, seeds, kiwi and vodka. It makes it difficult to eat anywhere but home. Just developed these killer ones about 3 years ago after a round of antibiotics. I miss peanut butter and fish more than anything.
  • tifferz91
    tifferz91 Posts: 2
    Options
  • spaghetti93
    spaghetti93 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    bread *cries*

pizza *dies*