Replies

• kevadafly
    kevadafly Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bmp
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    You are almost my neighbor! How much water do you drink? Water is vital for that function as well as others. Too much fiber and not enough water - well - ouch. If you are having pain, please go see a doctor! Not going is not good!
  • Meg177
    Meg177 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Stress and tension can be the cause too. Try hatha yoga and a hot bath or whatever relaxes you.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I used to have problems. I have added a few things to my diet. Chia seed in my Greek yogurt, Fiber One cereal for breakfast, olive oil in most of my cooking, coconut oil in my coffee, fiber chewables, and lots of water and tea. I'm going almost daily for the first time in 18 months. I also have Swiss Kriss in case of a problem. It's a very mild herbal laxative. It doesn't have the... explosive effects of regular stimulant laxatives. It's much gentler. My mother-in-law had me get it for my husband after his surgery. I never knew anesthesia caused constipation. A couple Swiss Kriss the night after surgery and a pot of black coffee the next morning got things moving again.
  • rainbowbandit
    rainbowbandit Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Prunes, Cherries and flax seed always work for me. Also, I've started eating low carb/high fiber tortillas and double fiber wheat bread which also seems to help. Drink lots of water (something I struggle with myself). And go to the Doctor if it doesn't improve soon, as it may be a blockage other GI issue. Take care.
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    Herbal laxative tea... trust me ;)
  • lynnhaw
    lynnhaw Posts: 5
    Options
    if you have increased your fiber you need even more water, but if you are really badly backed up you will have to go to dr. to get it straightened out. i have had this happen to me and feels like you are going to die cant even stand up straight. i hope you go soon. :laugh:
  • JlSimon22
    JlSimon22 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Also, there is an herbal tea by Yogi that is GREAT for this. Drink it at night and you will go in the morning. It's in a yellow and purple box.
  • naturalbrowndiva
    naturalbrowndiva Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    prunes are good. try metamucil. you may need more fiber.
  • chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have dealt with similar issues in the past, but not to this degree. You are clinically constipated (1-2 bowel movements a week). One thing that will help you right away is magensium citrate. You can find it in the laxative aisle and it's clear and comes in a glass bottle. It only costs a few dollars and comes in different flavors. This will help clean you OUT. Also castor oil and water w/ sea salt will do the same thing. The water/sea salt is not good at all, but it does work. Now after you clean out, for maintenance, buy Miralax. Miralax dissolves in any drink you put it in. Drink the whole glass. It will keep you regular, also Fiber One products work well, eating LOTS of green veggies, and drinking alot of water. I hope this helps you.

^^ This!! magensium citrate will have you FULLY CLEANED OUT in couple hours!! and Miralax,or it's generics are miracles at keeping everything good... My morning coffee keeps me in check, 30 min after 1st cup I am good!!
  • VanessaMFaulkner
    Options
    Go to the health store & buy some CALM. It's magnesium but works overnight (& it helps relax you & other good stuff), get a good magnesium supplement & take it without fail. It's amazing stuff. I used to go a week @ a time without going...@ my most regular it was a few days...now I go a cpl times a day everyday. Magnesium is so crucial & a lot of ppl are deficient & don't realization it (its always the first thing they give when a person has a heart attack).
  • mamacita721
    mamacita721 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Green Tea liqui-gels.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    This sounds horrible, and I apologize, but it was the best advice I ever received.

Smoke a cigarette.

Nice and slow, inhale it all. One will not make you an addict. Full flavor, if possible.

I can't even finish one before I need to go. I have no idea why. And even House on TV prescribed this one time so it must be true lol (j/k on that last part, I'm not an idiot)
  • Giantess
    Giantess Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Prune juice! So delicious when warmed up!
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I noticed someone posted "it's okay to go every 2-3 days". I don't necessarily agree with that, but everyone is different.

I posted that. And yes, in the medical world, it is perfectly normal and healthy to go every 2-3 days. I didn't just pull that out of no where, it is what I learned in nursing school. People's belief that once daily is normal and anything less then that is not leads to laxative abuse which causes the real GI problems, like loss of bowel normal function. 3 days is generally the max limit on that though and it has been longer for the OP. Which is why I suggested she see a doctor first.

The nurse is right. Everyone is different. One could argue that my going multiple times a day is not normal, but it is. An irregularity is present when you are NOT going as often as you usually do, or you ARE going more than you usually do. Everyone is different though, and 2-3 times a week is healthy for many people.
  • davidsgirl145
    davidsgirl145 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Psyllium seed husks mixed in with orange or grapefruit juice. Just small spoon of it will do. This stuff isn't a laxative but a "bulkifier". Each husk swells up to 10 times its size as it passes through and helps things happen. It's really amazing stuff and all natural. Google it. :)
    One of my favorite things! LOL...i've used it for years! it really is amazing!
  • sigma54
    sigma54 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    TMI--but haven't gone to the bathroom since Saturday
    What's the record? :tongue:

Until I was a teen, I wouldn't go for periods up to 3 weeks... extremely painful of course. I would throw myself on my bed on hug my pillow as my body 'convulsed' from the contractions. But of course, as it was painful to go, I would put it off further and the problem would get worse until eventually I had no choice...

Thankfully, I haven't had the problem since and go at least every other day. However, I still have the tendency and the reputation for blocking toilets ;-(
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    nothing like a shot of milk of magnesia to get it moving fast :-)

LOL YUP!
  • sigma54
    sigma54 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine who was a nurse in Germany said that they made their patients eat a bit very dark chocolate (not sure if this is true or not but that's what she said). I've tried it and it does seem to help with regularity! And even if it was just placebo effect, at least it tastes good!
  • dbb9263
    dbb9263 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Go to a health food store and pick up some hemp hearts. Start with 5 tbs each morning for a few days then decrease to 4 tbs a day I have a bm every day and feel wonderful. Was constipated for 30 years. Helps control hunger too!!!