Calling all Cathe fans!

Options
Hi everyone,
I'm not really new to the site but new to posting. I'm trying to get serious with my diet and exercise as I'm coming up on my 45th birthday and want to be in better shape as I head over the hill. :sad:
I've recently discovered Cathe Freidrich's workouts and am totally hooked.
Would any of you currently following her dvd's like to start an accountability thread? I've looked back several pages and don't see one so I'm assuming there isn't one. I know there's got to be at least a few of you out there. :happy:
Karen

Replies

• 2BLean
    2BLean Posts: 2,373 Member
    Options
    Hi Karen ~

I'm with ya girl! Glad to see there is another Cathe fan!
    I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Cathe! :smile: I am currently doing STS and think it is my favorite home workout system ever! I have done other workouts by Cathe over the years and absolutely love her. I've never been disappointed with any of her workouts. :wink:

I just turned 40 this year and would love to join you on an accountability thread. :flowerforyou:

Tami
  • crumpgirl
    crumpgirl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey Tami,
    That's great! I'm just starting a rotation with Gym Styles series. I just purchased this week, Drill Max, Low Impact Circuit, and Kick Punch and Crunch which I plan to do every other day (cardio portions only). I would like to see where that takes me up until my birthday in February and then let STS be my present to myself.
    I have quite a bit of weight to lose at this point (approx 60-70 lbs) so I have a long way to go but know that I can do it with a strong plan and a stronger committment.
    Great to meet you and looking forward to working out with you. I'm planning on Gym Style Legs and the stability ball ab workout from the Basic Step/body fusion dvd tomorrow.
    Karen
  • 2BLean
    Options
    Great workouts! Keep me posted how you are liking them and how it's going. :wink: I have the Gym Style series and Drill Max.
    That is a great gift for your B-day in February ~ STS is awesome. But like we have said, all her workouts are fabulous!

I am here for you ... good on you for making the committment. We can motivate each other through the process and I'm sure there are other Cathe fans out there that will join us too.

Today my workout was a leg workout. Which I really enjoy and usually feel it the next day! :smile:
    I will be out of town for the weekend (so I won't get my regular cardio in) :grumble:
    But will check back with you on Monday.

Have a great weekend! :flowerforyou: Tami
  • crumpgirl
    Options
    Friday's workout is in the books. I'm tellin' you, that Cathe is the Taskmaster/Dominatrix!!!:grumble: I got through GS Legs today but had to skip alot the the sets (after two sets of 16 lunges, etc., I just couldn't do another set). This woman is mean in such a good way!
    Tomorrow will be my first attempt at KPC and I must say I'm excited about it as everyone says it is the most popular and fun workout she has. Hopefully, I will be able to do it if I'm not too sore from today's workout. :laugh:
    Have a great week end!
    Karen
  • 2BLean
    Options
    Good Morning Karen ~

I agree on Cathe being a Taskmaster. WOW! She is amazing. My workout this a.m. was shoulders & biceps which includes a lot of "drop set" push ups ... which ends up being a lot and they are mixed in throught the workout! Tough and noodley arms when I am done. Felt good though. Tomorrow will be cardio which after not having a workout in over the weekend I am really looking forward too! :wink:

Hope you had a good weekend ~ How was KPC by the way? I have heard good things about that one and have thought of purchasing it?

Tami
  • lvnascar
    lvnascar Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

I also work out with Cathe, and have just started her STS program this moring with Disc 1 Shoulders, Chest & Biceps. Talk about noodle arms, this one will give you that. :wink: The workout went quickly, and the only problem I had was the weight changes. :smile: Tomorrow I give Cathe a break and will be working out with Jillian. :laugh: But working out with Cathe 3-4 days a week is just what I need. KPC has to be one of her best kickboxing workouts. The ab work is really tough. I think I probably have every workout that she has created, but sorry to say I can't do step anymore. :cry: My knee just can't take the twisting.

Laurie
  • 2BLean
    Options
    Hi Laurie ~
    Great to hear of an "STS Buddy" and Cathe Fan as well! :flowerforyou: I am doing the 6.5 month rotation with STS and on week 7 (so Disc #10 - Meso 1). I am really loving it so far as mentioned. Yes, each Shoulder/Chest & Bicep workout is that way. YOW-sa. But it feels good when you are done. :wink: I agree on the weight changes ~ I sometimes have to pause the DVD so I can get set up. Which helps. Also, I am noticing now if I just glance ahead on my w/o card I am getting more of the hang of keeping up w/ the equip changes. :happy:

I also have Jillian's workouts that I alternate for Cardio. She is tough too! :flowerforyou: I would love to try the KPC workout by Cathe for another one to throw in the mix for cardio days.
    So are you going to be doing STS on the 3.5 or 6.5 month rotation?! I am trying to incorporate cardio 3 days a week but have found since starting STS I have been doing 2 mostly. :grumble:

Would love to keep in touch to see how you're going and liking it. :flowerforyou:

Take care!

Tami
  • crumpgirl
    Options
    Hello Ladies!
    Nice to have you with us Laurie. You guys really make me jealous doing STS. I really want to order it but just spent almost $150 on the dvd's I did purchase. It's kind of an obsession!

I did the cardio portion only of KPC on Saturday and OMG!!! I've done Kenpo X from P90X and have done many of the Turbo Jam dvds but I have to say, this one is rough! I really need to work on my cardio endurance. The high intensity of it is just humbling for me. I was kind of disappointed at myself to begin with - thought I would do much better than I did. Oh well, I will improve!

I went hiking yesterday and burnt 400 calories (was supposed to be my rest day). Had to be at work at 6:00 a.m. today and it was a long hard day (10 hours) so I am pooped. I really need to get up and do my Gym Style Chest and Tri's but I think I need a rest day as far as working out goes.

Hope you have a great evening and will check in with you tomorrow.
  • lvnascar
    Options
    Tami - I am doing the 3.5 month rotation. I want to be done with this rotation before Christmas, so if I stick to my eating right and working out according to my rotation then I'm hoping to see improvement in my body. Saturdays are going to be the most difficult time to get a workout in. My oldest daughter is in cross country so I tend to get up early and head to a meet. :wink:

Karen - I think the first time I tried KPC it was a humbling experience also. Just keep trying the workout, and it will get better. :flowerforyou:

Laurie
  • 2BLean
    Options
    Hi Ladies ~

Hope you both had a great day! :flowerforyou: Normally I work out in the early a.m. but got my workout in after work this evening. I was glad to get it in! YAY.

Laurie: I think if any program can help you to meet your goals one of Cathe's is it! That's great that you have a goal of Christmas time to shoot for.
    I too am hoping for improvements in my body. I have been stuck in a plateau :grumble: for quite some time and want to SHOCK my body out of it!

Karen: I understand the obsession of getting a nice library of DVD workouts! I have quite a few myself. With that being said, you mentioned Kenpo X from P90X and Turbo Jam ~ I have those. :laugh: Like Laurie said, keep at it ~ you'll get there on the endurance. I know sometimes for me even the 2nd time I do a workout that seemed really tough it is a little better. Still tough, but better! :wink:

Tomorrow is Back & Triceps - I'm hoping to get an ab workout in as well.

I'll check in with you both tomorrow! :smile:
    Tami
  • crumpgirl
    Options
    Good Morning!
    Well, I'm heading out the door to work but wanted to drop in.

What Meso cycle are you both doing? I understand that you can do a 3.5 month rotation or a 6 month rotation with the difference being that you do each workout only once or either twice. What kind of shape do you have to be in to start? I've read some of the reviews on Collage Video's site and it seems alot of people are not very fond on Meso 1. What do you two think? I did GS Chest and tris yesterday and am using weights between 5 and 12 lbs (with 8 lbs being the average) for the exercises. Granted, I was toast after yesterdays workout and am very sore this morning! Anyways, just would like some input on the series as I know I'm not going to be happy until I order it!!!! :bigsmile:

Have a great day!
    Karen
  • lvnascar
    Options
    Morning,

No workout for me yet, because I had to get into work early this morning. Will be doing Disc 2 Back & Triceps when I get home.

Karen, I just started so I am in Meso 1 which is the endurance. I think that this program would be just fine for you. If you do the 1 Rep Max test before hand, they have a workout manager on Cathe's site that will determine what your weight should be for each exercise. Each week the weight increases, and it starts out at 60% of you 1RM. You can always live through us for a time, until you feel you are ready for the program. :wink:

Tami, Thanks for the encouragement. I'm sure that this program will do the trick, and of course getting my eating under control. :happy: I even have my hubby eating healthy meals at night! :noway: I have to remember to take some before pic's, because I really want to make myself accountable.

Laurie
  • 2BLean
    Options
    Good Afternoon ~

Karen – I am doing the 6.5 month rotation. You are exactly right ~ the 3.5 rotation you do each once and the 6.5 rotation you do each disc twice. I do like that because it gives me the familiarity when I do it the 2nd week.
    There are 3 Meso Cycles to the entire STS program (each having their own purpose: endurance, building & strength) – each lasting 4 weeks. I’m not sure what people don’t like about Meso 1. It does move quickly through the moves forsure but that is part of that cycle because you are trying to build endurance. So lots of reps and exercises at a fairly quick pace. I’ll keep you posted when I get to Meso 2 so I can compare them. :smile:

I agree w/ Laurie – I think STS would work for you. You don’t have to be at a certain level necessarily but I think definitely having an understanding of various lifting forms/movements is helpful but because she is so thorough if you are doing your 1RM tests and you aren’t sure of the move you can preview it beforehand. So preparation helps. Also, you need a pretty wide range of dumbbell sizes and a band for pull-ups or a pull-up bar if you have one in your home. I don’t.
    Definitely live through us for now ~ I bet one day you will do the program and love it! I was the same way, asking and checking reviews and wanting to do it so much. :wink:

Laurie – Let me know how you like Back & Triceps :smile: Do you have a pull-up bar or do you use the bands? I use the bands and just do more reps. That’s great you have your hubby eating healthy with you. That helps. My hubby will eat most of the “strange” (as he calls it) clean food I make but not all. :noway: I didn’t do “before” photos but did measurements. I don’t know if I will measure again when I end each cycle or just wait until the end.

Hope you both had a great day! :flowerforyou:

Tami
  • lvnascar
    Options
    Morning,

Today I managed to get KPC done including the ab portion. I was wondering if I could include those ,because I had worked out last night with STS Ab Circuit no equipment. But I got my butt in the air for those pikes on the ball in KPC. :drinker: Two days done and many more discs to go. :laugh:

Tami, I have a bar and tubing that I can use for the back work. Last night I did the chin-ups with a chair assist. :wink: The last set of pull-ups I decided to use the tubing, and it was a nice change of pace. My hubby again ate my "strange" food last night, and I'm hoping that his "BOB" (belly over belt) will start to melt for him. My daughters call his belly this by the way. :blushing: I am also taking my measurements, and I have a small caliper that I'm using to give a basic body fat percentage. I'm thinking of taking measurements after each phase.

Karen, Hope your day is going well.
  • lvnascar
    Options
    Morning, :drinker:

TGIF!!! I managed to get Disc 3 Legs done even though I didn't set my alarm clock. Hubby woke me up just in time. And he was kind enough to get the dog walked, and the girls out the door for school. :heart: that hubby of mine. I really enjoyed this leg workout, and I can say that Cathe probably puts out some of the best workouts in that area. :wink: I enjoyed using the paper plates with weights, for just a different feel. These where some of the workouts that I was trying to avoid, and now I wonder why! :blushing:

Hope both of you are having a great day!
    Laurie
  • 2BLean
    Options
    Good Morning!

TGIF! Is right. That's great that your hubby helps you out so you can get your workout(s) in! I really enjoy leg workouts. I did Disc 12 today for legs - every leg workout I have done of hers I really, really like. The paper plates are different; gives you a different range/stretch! :smile:

Tomorrow is Cardio - going to be doing DrillMax! A toughy but a goody! :drinker:

Have a great Friday ~ I'll check in with you both soon.
    :flowerforyou:
    Tami
  • crumpgirl
    Options
    Howdy girls! Good to see you both working out this week consistently. I did Drill Max yesterday for the first time and absolutely loved it - couldn't do the whole thing but did would I could.
    Did GS Back, biceps and shoulders today and abs. I've been bad about logging my food the last couple of days and I'm sure I'll be disappointed come weigh in on Monday. I've tried to stay within my eating program of 5-6 small meals balanced with protein and carbs and good fats so maybe it wont be too bad. Hope you all have a great weekend!
    Karen
  • lvnascar
    Options
    Morning Ladies,

No workout for me yet, but I will get in Disc 4 Chest, Shoulders, Biceps and Ab Circuit Yoga Based when I get home from work. Only had one bad meal this weekend. Couldn't resist some pizza! :wink: But for having eaten well all week, I felt one cheat meal was not going to kill me. :wink: Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend, and we are all ready to work work work! :laugh:

Laurie
  • 2BLean
    Options
    Good Afternoon Ladies ~

I am doing Disc 10 of Chest, Shoulders & Biceps this evening! Hoping to incorporate one of the ab workouts as well. I need to start doing those at least a couple days a week; i keep running out of time in the early a.m. when I usually workout. :ohwell:

Got my cardio in this weekend (DrillMax on Sat.) including a couple of long walks with my 2 big dogs. Always love that! It's kind of a workout in itself since they sort of walk me! LOL! :wink:

Hoping for a great week of workouts - next week is my first rest/recovery week from STS. So want to really work hard.

Have a great day! :flowerforyou:

Tami
  • lvnascar
    Options
    Morning Ladies,

Got Disc 4 done last night, but didn't have enough time to finish the Ab workout. This morning was PlyoX, and then after work I will do the Ab work.

Tami, I also run out of time in the mornings to finish the ab work. I only have an hour! :wink: My dog gets a walk every morning, and after I get home from work. She is a sniffer though, so we always have to stop. But when we get a sent of deer, watch out! Then I get dragged around the neighborhood. :laugh: Are you sticking to what Cathe suggested during the recovery week. No weights! I have a whole bunch of workouts that I am planning on getting in. But that week will be a good time for me to get some Yoga in. I have not done yoga in a rotation since my last round of P90X. :smile:

Have a wonderful day!

Laurie