Joining a gym and very overweight

Options
123457»

Replies

• melonclarinet
    melonclarinet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I think (especially early in the morning) people are there to work out and don't worry about you or your weight. With that being said, there's this one incredibly fit girl who is always at my gym; she's like my goal body. Well, one day as we were both leaving at the same time she stopped me to tell me that I was an inspiration to her! She said she had noticed my dedication and my weight loss and even that I did better on the elliptical than she does. I was floored.
    Just go in, do your best, ask for help when you need it, and realize you're doing this for you, not others.
  • jrwatson87
    jrwatson87 Posts: 66
    Options
    Go! Suck up the initial anxiety & pain, settle into a routine & you will luv going. Time to yourself, a chance to burn off your anger, etc & a real sense of accomplishment :) Good Luck & Enjoy.

Russ

This!
  • mdjoubert03
    Options
    i disagree with everyone- if you have never exercised, dont think a crazy gym session wll be the way to go, for one your body is not confident in doing exercises, so even if you work up the will power to go to gym, you'll feel painfully uncomfortable, and you'll probably dread ever going back..... thats why i suggest break this task down into small managable steps. start of by building your confidence and security by exercising at home. for example start with stretching in the morning, taking a walk at night, anything that feels like exercise, but is still safe and secure and you can maintain your self assurance. start finding joy in exercising, like i enjoy joggin/walking/ because it gives me time to think. im telling you, when you finally go to the gym, you will jump on that exercise machine (ie tredmill) and you will forget all about the people around you because you will be in your comfort zone. or get a zumba tape, and do it at home, when you start enjoying it,go to the gym, you'll find girls half your size, but they wont be able to do those zumba moves the way you can. --- well thats my advice, secondly, get a gym buddy, for support, goodluck
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    As the biggest person at my gym I understand how daunting it is to walk in the door the first time - so many horrible thoughts - but that's wasted energy.

When I started I felt very self-conscious and wary about using the machines - such a novice lol - but, and I can't stress this enough, it gets easier. - the walking in, the getting the know the machines and the confidence to find your feet and eventually the routines, times, endurance and intensity you can work at.

I don't know if it's standard in US gyms but most gyms in the UK will have an induction - and the trainer will take you round the machines and get you started on a sensible programme which can be reviewed every 6 to 9 weeks yiu don't need to go "gung-ho" the ability to go for further and longer, heavier is something that comes with time and patience - just like weight loss lol

Everyone is focused on their own targets and progress and at my old gym I was approached more than once by people saying they admired my endurance, or saying how they could see the progress I was making, they didn't see an overweight person, they just saw me as someone else trying to get healthy.