Little trick for eating greek yogurt

Options

Replies

• Roeri011
    Roeri011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is an acquired taste. At first I was only able to eat the flavored cups. I like mixing yogurt into my oatmeal in the morning, and the first time I switched to plain greek yogurt I had to choke down my oatmeal. I started adding frozen/thawed mixed berries into my oatmeal/yogurt and it make it edible/good. Now I actually enjoy plain greek yogurt all by itself. Now I no longer like the taste of regular yogurt!
  • phatdivabbw
    phatdivabbw Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!

Recently I tried switching low fat yogurt (which contains a lot of sugar) by plain greek yogourt (which contains a lot of protein and very few sugar). The problem is : I just hate the taste of plain greek yogurt! But I kinda find a way to eat it : I mix half a cup of plain greek yogurt with a bit of sugar free jello powder and lots of fruits. It's yummy!

My favorite mix by now : Plain greek yogurt + some raspberry flavored sugar free jello + raspberries and strawberries.

I mix it with fat free/sugar free pudding. Any kind and it is...wait for it....amazing!

ME TOO BUT THE BANANA CREAM IS NASTY
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    YUMMY!!!!!! Thanks for the tip!
  • deannajodouglass
    deannajodouglass Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love putting honey in mine, it a great natural sweetener and a little goes a long way! I normally put a tablespoon an a half in 3/4 of a cup or so. it's great for energy in the morning.
  • Solosesso
    Solosesso Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I love putting honey in mine, it a great natural sweetener and a little goes a long way! I normally put a tablespoon an a half in 3/4 of a cup or so. it's great for energy in the morning.

I tried it, but I don't like the taste of honey. On the other side, for a more natural way of adding sugar, I sometimes put pure maple syrup, but it add A TON of sugar, so I only do that when I have a urge for sweet! =)
  • njobst
    njobst Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love using Greek Yogurt in place of Mayo and Sour cream. It's very tasty with Boca burgers and any mexican dish. You can't tell the difference and it's MILES better for you. LOVE IT. Plus, there is less lactose in greek yogurt, leaving you less gassy (almost everyone has some sort of aversion to diary).

On its own, I simply put strawberries and a relatively low-fat granola in it.
  • TransformerOfYoungMinds
    Options
    I add a little stevia and sugar-free Torani syrup :)
  • campy17
    Options
    Try adding a squirt of "Mio" type water flavoring. Adds flavor and sweetness without adding calories.
  • debilee12
    debilee12 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You can also add the sugar free pudding mix. The cheesecake is AMAZING!!!
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    wow lots of great ideas here !always looking at ways to increase the protein in my life
  • saradord
    saradord Posts: 129
    Options
    I have greek yogurt that already has mixed fruit in it and I add honey and black berries,
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Honestly, when you reduce the sugar in your diet (including "fake" sugars), you will begin to taste the real sweetness in foods. Adding in fake sugar isn't healthy or a viable long-term solution.

When I cut out sugar I was able to eat Greek yogurt plain and have it taste sweet to me. :)

this!
  • waytobeduck
    Options
    Honestly, when you reduce the sugar in your diet (including "fake" sugars), you will begin to taste the real sweetness in foods. Adding in fake sugar isn't healthy or a viable long-term solution.

When I cut out sugar I was able to eat Greek yogurt plain and have it taste sweet to me. :)

This is true. :)
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I add about a tsp of sugar free jam (All-fruit) to the yogurt with the fruit,and that helps.

Me too! I use sugar free Smuckers (sp?) preserves. I also mix 1/4 cup of plain Fage with 1/4 cup of Dannon Light and Fit 2x greek yogurt- strawberries, blueberries or peach to add additional flavor.
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Another tip for you all. You can use the greek yogurt to make savory items as well, not just sweet. My inspirations come from a blogger named Shelly, but she goes by EggFace. You can find her blog here --> http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

Anyway, she had gastic bypass and as a product of that needs more protein than the average person. So she uses greek yogurt in recipes extensively. One that I made this week was an Avocado dip. I embellished it a bit, and now it tastes almost exactly like guacamole!

Here is the basic recipe:
    1/2 cup Cottage Cheese
    1/4 cup Greek yogurt
    1/2 avocado
    Salt+Pepper to taste

MIx it up in food processor or blender, and voila!

However, to make it more like the real thing I diced a few cherry tomatoes, and added with some lime juice. I also used garlic salt instead of plain salt. This is delish! It tastes close enough to the real thing, that I satisfied by it. The base for all of her dips is the yogurt and cottage cheese above. You can do peanut butter, chocolate, feta, whatever. I make a few of these dips a week!
  • cmbresnan
    Options
    I will definitely try that tip! I LOVE raspberries and strawberries!! :wink:
  • xoeva
    xoeva Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I eat Greek yogurt almost every day...instead of mayo in a tuna sandwich, in smoothies to up the protein and make them creamier, in tacos instead of sour cream, on a baked potato instead of sour cream.... also plain with vanilla (instead of sugar) vanilla - the real stuff - tastes great and there are 0 calories!
  • golfergirl92
    golfergirl92 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I buy Dannon Light and Fit 2x Protein Greek Yogurt in Blueberry, Vanilla, and Peach. It's got the fruit on the bottom to mix in and each portion is only 80 calories! I usually throw in some more frozen fruit that I've thawed a bit. At first, I had to mix in some Splenda to make it sweet enough but I've really given up using artificial sweeteners so I can taste the natural sugar in the fruit. Still need some Splenda for my coffee though!
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    My favorite brand of Greek yogurt is chobani!
  • amcgavisk
    Options
    I take 1/2 frozen blueberries, place them in a bowl and microwave them for like 45 sec. Them take a fork and mash the blueberries, then add 1cup non fat greek yogurt - awesome blueberry yogurt