Little trick for eating greek yogurt

Options

Replies

• deeksha_s
    deeksha_s Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Sorry but I do not understand why is there a need to buy yogurt when it can be made at home. No sugar, no salt just plain goodness. You wanna make it heavy use full fat else use skimmed milk.

For flavoring, there are loads of Indian recipes which use yogurt called 'Raita'. Use can use grated Cucumber/Carrot/Raddish or tomato & onion or just plain mint/coriander leaves and a bit if seasoning like black salt , cumin powder, a pinch of sugar. And you are good to go. There are loads of variations to this.
  • serialifter
    serialifter Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    100% agree with ^^

super easy and tasty!!!!!!

when i was younger my parents used to trick me into thinking it was vanilla ice cream lol
  • tarawarner22
    tarawarner22 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just looked online how to make homemade Yogurt and it doesn't sound that hard to make. Going to try it.
  • airdiva1
    airdiva1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I love using Greek Yogurt in place of Mayo and Sour cream. It's very tasty with Boca burgers and any mexican dish. You can't tell the difference and it's MILES better for you. LOVE IT. Plus, there is less lactose in greek yogurt, leaving you less gassy (almost everyone has some sort of aversion to diary).

On its own, I simply put strawberries and a relatively low-fat granola in it.
    I also use Greek Yogurt as sour cream when I have a taste of Mexican!
    I use 1tsbp of Greek yogurt, 1tsbp of Salsa and 1tsbp Feta cheese and toast a wholegrain flat bread (love Alidi Fit and Active low fat brand) makes great chips and salsa under 200 calories and seems like alot!
    But when eating Greek yogurt in the mornings, I add Cinnamon to it. At only 6 calories a teaspoon, it adds a spicy kick and also Cinnamon is good for you!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    If I have plain greek yogurt, I stir in some granola or the Fiber One cereal with the crunchy clusters.
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I like to stir in a smidge of Trader Joe's Superfruit Spread (30 cal per tbsp, no artificial sweeteners).
    Or just vanilla extract, stevia + fruit on top! A pinch of shredded coconut + mango or papaya is an awesome combo.

But man, flavoring my own plain yogurt is nowhere near as delicious as the Fage 0% Strawberry and Cherry cups. That stuff is like crack - best dessert ever. I only get it once in a while when it's on sale. It's worth the extra sugar as a treat!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Sorry but I do not understand why is there a need to buy yogurt when it can be made at home. No sugar, no salt just plain goodness. You wanna make it heavy use full fat else use skimmed milk.

For flavoring, there are loads of Indian recipes which use yogurt called 'Raita'. Use can use grated Cucumber/Carrot/Raddish or tomato & onion or just plain mint/coriander leaves and a bit if seasoning like black salt , cumin powder, a pinch of sugar. And you are good to go. There are loads of variations to this.

Some people really don't enjoy cooking, live somewhere that doesn't have a kitchen or choose to do other things with their time. Almost everyone has to grocery shop, the yogurt is in stock and ready to store. Easy peasy. I hope I cleared that up for you.
  • CurlyGlitterChicken
    Options
    Lots of great greek yogurt ideas I wouldn't have thought of! Love the idea of using it instead of mayo.

I have made yogurt before, and I felt very accomplished about it, but it's definitely more time-consuming than buying a quart at the store. Most people have foods that they love enough to work on, but I don't find the yogurt I made so much better than store-bought yogurt. Besides, I use my food-fiddling time to experiment with tasty gluten-free foods. :) To each his own.
  • wookie79
    Options
    I have found that if you put a tablespoon of flax seed meal in it and give it a good stir it takes away that bite.
  • FeelingLessChubby
    FeelingLessChubby Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    This is a great topic, I added Greek yogurt and frozen fruit to my shopping list today :)
  • riginthering
    Options
    Greek Gods Honey Greek Yogurt is *amazing* by itself, but I usually add in a handful of muesli or granola mixed with dried fruit.

I usually only use the plain greek yogurt as a sour cream replacement for tacos and potatoes and that. Or in my baking, but let's not talk about that...
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I just looked online how to make homemade Yogurt and it doesn't sound that hard to make. Going to try it.

it's not just "not that hard" it's actually dead easy, I used to make my yogurt using my crockpot to get it up to temp so I didn't' have to tend it as closely, and since my oven light doesn't work I pack the liquid yogurt in a cooler with a few jars of hot water and it turns out great every time. Then I strain it because I've become used to the thicker, creamier consistency of Greek yogurt. I can make 10 servings of yogurt for about $4, there's no way to beat that in the grocery store! Hmm, I think I know what I'm doing today!
  • 1LoveChips
    1LoveChips Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    it also makes an excellent replacement for sour cream... i use it on my chili and it is delish

I do that too!

Also, .. I mix a scoop of a flavoured protein powder in to make it chocolatey .. (or whatever)

NOT to go with the Chilli ;)) ... haha

Both brilliant tips!
  • riginthering
    Options
    I made a strawberry-blackberry-cranberry compote for a cheesecake a couple weeks ago, and now I'm using the leftovers on top of my plain greek yogurt. Not bad, tastes a little like peach yogurt. I also like whole blueberry syrup over plain yogurt. Just a little bit of sweet over the creamy and the tart.
  • lightmouse
    lightmouse Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I mix my Greek yogurt with vanilla whey protein powder and add flaxseed and blueberries :-)
  • cclarocque
    Options
    I have found that cottage cheese has almost as much protein and is much more to my liking for eating plain (or with nuts/touch of honey) but I have found plain greek yogurt to be my new favorite product to use when cooking chicken. I mix spices/franks hot sauce (my current favorite is a tandoori blend I make ....turmeric, ginger, garlic, etc) with the yogurt and paint it on the chicken in a thick layer. Yes it kills the probiotic properties of the yogurt to cook it but it keeps the chicken moist and the flavors on the chicken not in the pan so it is not bland and no sauce is needed.
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    Options
    I add honey and cinnamon and it is so delicious
  • tweetetina
    Options
    I put PB2 (powdered low calorie peanut butter...45 calories) in mine with fruit....yummy and gives me my peanut butter fix without all the extra calories.
  • watermelonsugar_
    Options
    I recommend a tbsp of almond butter and some cinnamon.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I like mine with fresh fruit and a sprinkle of turbinado sugar. I like the crunchy texture and the little bit of sweetness.