What is the best weight loss advice you ever heard?

Options
Surprisingly mine came from my 25 year old son and is very simple -

:noway: IF YOU DON'T BUY IT, THEN YOU CAN'T EAT IT!

Doesn't get any simpler than that, now does it?

Replies

• mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    From a 14-year WW leader- "It really is just math, folks."
  • cibilbee
    cibilbee Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    That I have gotten - Don't let a slip define your progress
    THat I like to give those who ask about my diet - you have to do it for yourself and no one else if you want it to work
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    And to me this is the worst. There's so much more to it than this statement implies.

I think the best for me was: learn how to eat right. Learn what's healthy and fuels your body.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    And to me this is the worst. There's so much more to it than this statement implies.

Depends how you take it, the statement itself is correct.

The problem with it is that it assumes the listener has a basic level of common sense when it comes to nutrition. Which sadly, many don't.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

The problem with it is that is assumes the listener has a basic level of common sense when it comes to nutrition. Which sadly, many don't.
    Nice insult! :drinker:
  • bernieboom1
    Options
    Eat when you are hungry.
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Take it one day at a time.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    BE PATIENT ABOUT RESULTS AND DONT GIVE UP.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Exercise a little more, eat a little less.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Start today, Keep going until tomorrow.

Every day I say something along those lines to myself. It helps me to not get overwhelmed by the amount I need to lose.
  • BootCampCrazy
    BootCampCrazy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The sentence that got me jumpstarted to get off my butt was 'it will never be any easier than it is today to get started'. a few things I have pinned in my office that keep my motivation strong are: 'Your mind gives up before your legs do' ; 'It's actually pretty simple. Either you DO IT, or you don't'.... (I have little quotes pinned all over my house for extra motivation, but I find the ones on the fridge to be the most helpful haha.)
  • columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    80% of your gym result (gain and loose weight) is due to your diet.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options

The problem with it is that it assumes the listener has a basic level of common sense when it comes to nutrition. Which sadly, many don't.

I was actually thinking the same thing. I started losing weight on MFP because simply it's all math. When the numbers add up daily, I lose weight. The assumption of course is that I know how to eat healthy, that is a given.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    80% of your gym result (gain and loose weight) is due to your diet.

That was also a trigger for me. 80% of your weight loss is diet. I used to go to the gym daily and never lost a lb.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

It also assumes a basic competancy in mathematics, which likewise sadly many (most) lack.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    "Just stick with it."

Told to me by my WW leader, every week for nearly a year, as I gained back 30 of the 80 pounds I had lost. She just kept telling me to keep trying, to keeping coming to the meetings, and just stick with it, and it would click for me again.

She was right. I have now been at maintenance, with a 110+ loss, for nearly two years. And I wouldn't have gotten there if I had given up at that point in my life.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    The single best advice I've heard:

Appearance is a consequence of fitness

If you sit on the couch and eat Doritos all day, chances are you look like you sit on the couch and eat Doritos all day. If you run a few marathons a year, over time you will look like you run a few marathons a year. If you dedicate yourself to becoming a boxer, incidentally over time you will look like a boxer. Train like a gymnast and you will begin to look like a gymnast.

Far too many people want to look like a professional athlete while doing virtually nothing to achieve that goal; there are rare cases where people can fake it, look like they are far more fit than they really are; chances are you aren't that person, don't bother trying to see if you are. Do it the hard way, the right way, and you won't have to wonder why you aren't making progress.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    A DAY AT A TIME
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly mine came from my 25 year old son and is very simple -

:noway: IF YOU DON'T BUY IT, THEN YOU CAN'T EAT IT!

Doesn't get any simpler than that, now does it?

I like this b/c it is so simple yet so true...We seem to over think everything and make things so complicated...

I saw a topic today and it was right on the money...The secret to quit snacking (or something like that) but basically the OP said that when he is hungry & wanting sweets - He will ask himself 'Could I eat a few carrot sticks to feel full?' If the answer is 'NO' then he really isn't hungry then is he?? It was something like that yet it is so simple when you think about it...If you are hungry you will eat something to not be hungry but if you won't eat healthy foods to curb the hunger then maybe you really aren't hungry and you are just bored or thirsty...Right?? Makes sense to me but he worded it so much better than I am right now!!! lol

Another one that I tell people all of the time 'Consistency is the KEY and you have to have patience to see results' I believe this is so true for weight loss...

ETA: I copied that post from the OP I was talking about -
    Ok so this might not work for everyone but it does for me.. if i am at home or at work bored and those snacking sugar demons sneak up on me a good way to test if i am really hungry is to think 'ok I can snack as long as its healthy - i.e carrot sticks' .. if i dont want to eat the carrot sticks i know that i am not hungry ..

Make sense?
  • 13pointUNO
    13pointUNO Posts: 51
    Options
    Don't open posts about whether you should eat your exercise calories back.