What is the best weight loss advice you ever heard?

Options

Replies

• Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    A moment on your lips and forever on your hips
  • sheilairis
    sheilairis Posts: 16
    Options
    Food is fuel first, pleasure second.

I love this and have been keeping this in mind as I change my eating!! I really don't miss all the junk I used to eat.
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    Don't open posts about whether you should eat your exercise calories back.
    LOVE! Adding to my favorite advice! :)

Also, Don't give up what you want MOST for what you want right now.
  • MikMont
    MikMont Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    When grocery shopping, shop the perimeter of the store - don't go down the aisles.
  • krystyleee
    krystyleee Posts: 219
    Options
    A few quotes and statements always stick out to me:

"No matter how slow you're running, you're still lapping everyone on the couch."

"If you're not making it burn, you're not making a change!"

"It's a lifestyle change."

"If you want it bad enough, you'll do what you have to do." -- this obviously applies to more than just weightloss but my brother told me this the other day when I was asking him about weightloss. He said he had gone to the day everyday for a month straight. And when I asked him what he did on the days he REALLY didn't feel like going, this is what he said.
  • smalpeg
    smalpeg Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    stick to it-do not give up
  • charlybu
    charlybu Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Don't open posts about whether you should eat your exercise calories back.

Amen!
  • gc_tweety
    gc_tweety Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    "Check out this website: myfitnesspal.com"
    Ha!! Love it!!
  • SweatinSammie
    Options
    Long term weight loss doesn't require perfection.

LOVE THIS
  • ses0786
    ses0786 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Unless you puke, faint or die, KEEP GOING! You are stronger than you think!
  • rschmmidt
    rschmmidt Posts: 296
    Options
    "If your grandmother wouldn't recognize it as food, don't eat it!"

I was just thinking this yesterday when I saw a kid eating a pink and purple "fruit" snack that looked like rubber.
  • SimpleStepsHealthCoach
    SimpleStepsHealthCoach Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Mine was simple, "it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change".

I took that to heart, changed my lifestyle and lost half the man I used to be. For that, no other advice could ever mean more to me.

Cheers!
  • VintagElana
    VintagElana Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Aw I love this thread ^_^
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    "Of course it's hard - anything worth achieving is worth fighting for!" - for those days when I get discouraged.

"It's OK to be proud of yourself for your achievements! This is NOT the time to be modest!" - because of my severe Catholic upbringing. (On those days when I feel like I look great I take a picture of myself!)
  • barbielovesgym
    Options
    Weight loss is 20% gym, 80% diet.

and

You can't outexercise a bad diet.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I took that to heart, changed my lifestyle and lost half the man I used to be. For that, no other advice could ever mean more to me.

Cheers!
    This is one of the best. For sure. This is what makes the loss last a lifetime.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    "It's not a sprint, it's a marathon. Don't expect to finish quickly."--Unknown
    "Anything worth having is worth any amount of effort put forth to obtain it."--Mr. Kreger, my high school Algebra teacher
    "Obstacles may slow you down, but the only thing stopping you is you."--Unknown
    "Do not let the fear of failure stop you from trying, because the biggest failure is never to have tried in the first place."--Unknown
    "Do or do not, there is no try."--Master Yoda
  • isis2triple0
    isis2triple0 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    One of my co-workers from Mexico was like "Just don't eat and you will loose weight" and he was serious!! lol lol But, no I think the best advice was "Lift weights to loose weight the more muscle you have the more fat you burn" words I now live by pumping iron is my hobby!!
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    "stick with it"
  • trinitylyons01
    trinitylyons01 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

Cheers!

DEFINITELY this! This advice has made all the difference in the world to me. I no longer deprive myself with diets. Instead I have made positive changes in how and what I eat as well as doing my best to exercise everyday. I'm finally losing weight, eating healthy and not depriving myself of the "bad" food I may want every once in a while.

The other advice that helped me was:

When you go out to dinner at a restaurant immediately ask for a takeout box and put half of your meal in the box. It will keep you from eating twice the amount of calories and double the portions you should be eating. Also, tell the waitress NOT to bring the bread basket! =-0

Also, whenever you are eating a meal drink a LOT of water. If you fill up on water you probably won't eat more than you should and you definitely won't have room for dessert.

Finally, when you think you're hungry and you know you just ate a balanced meal drink 16 ounces of water and wait about fifteen minutes. If you still feel hungry after filling up on water chances are you are truly hungry. If not, then you're probably not. This has saved me from eating needless calories many times!