What is the best weight loss advice you ever heard?

Options

Replies

• SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Eat only when you're hungry and stop as soon as you're full.
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    From a recovered bulemic: Food is not evil. What we do with it sometimes is.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    The authorities say the vast majority of us have healthy thyroids and can lose weight just fine using the normal recommendations.

95% of ALL people regain, it doesn't matter what they ate while they lost.
    It mattered to me. Prior to losing weight I ate all the wrong foods, I didn't fuel my body. WHILE losing weight I learned how to eat for life.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Burn more cals than you take in!
  • lynniesue42
    Options
    "Check out this website: myfitnesspal.com"

^^^^THIS!!!!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    eat less, move more
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Don't give up.

I've gone by that advice and found success.
  • tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    Options
    The best advice was to EAT!!!! For years I had the mentality of exercise more eat less. I was not losing as a matter of fact I spent a whole year in the gym 3-4 times a week with a trainer and lost a magical 6 lbs!!! i ate like a bird and the scale did not budge. I was hungry all the time and tired. :grumble: :grumble:
    Then someone told me to eat! Not junk food but good clean whole foods. Now I eat about 2000-2100 calories a day I workout 3-5 hours a week and guess what the scale is moving and my body fat is down 3%. Ill never starve myself again, never only eat salad at the family bbq and punish myself at birthday parties. :heart: :heart: em2wl!!!!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    The best advice was to EAT!!!!

This too! I had lost weight at 1200 cals, but was tired and cranky too! I've found eating around 1500-1700 cals is more sustainable. The loss is slower, but it is much easier to stick with and maintain.
  • rsboyd
    rsboyd Posts: 12
    Options
    Write is down, record it good bad or indefferant. Makes you aware and will help you make better choices.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    "if you eat what you've always ate, you will weigh what you've always weighed."

Ah, but that one is not true for everyone. I didn't change my diet or portions when I lost weight. I just ate the same and got up off my lazy *kitten* and started exercising regularly.
    And I ate what I always ate, did what I always did and then hit menopause lol.

I should have mentioned that I was already eating a healthy diet. But since I am of menopause age myself, though not quite there yet, my TDEE is very low at sedentary. Even with healthy food I am just too darn hungry if I try to eat little enough to stay thin without exercise. So, I didn't eat that little, and I didn't exercise. Dumb!
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    "If you want to keep seeing me naked, you had better help me lose a bit of weight"
    From my wife
  • Telugammayi87
    Telugammayi87 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    "Eat less, move more".... basic and from my dad... and OH SO TRUE!!!

.....just don't read too much into it. It doesn't mean eat TOO little! :P
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    From a 14-year WW leader- "It really is just math, folks."
    And to me this is the worst. There's so much more to it than this statement implies.

Depends how you take it, the statement itself is correct.

The problem with it is that it assumes the listener has a basic level of common sense when it comes to nutrition. Which sadly, many don't.

I agree. When all's said & done it really is 'just math'.
  • LizAWDavis
    LizAWDavis Posts: 45
    Options
    The single best advice I've heard:

Appearance is a consequence of fitness

If you sit on the couch and eat Doritos all day, chances are you look like you sit on the couch and eat Doritos all day. If you run a few marathons a year, over time you will look like you run a few marathons a year. If you dedicate yourself to becoming a boxer, incidentally over time you will look like a boxer. Train like a gymnast and you will begin to look like a gymnast.

Far too many people want to look like a professional athlete while doing virtually nothing to achieve that goal; there are rare cases where people can fake it, look like they are far more fit than they really are; chances are you aren't that person, don't bother trying to see if you are. Do it the hard way, the right way, and you won't have to wonder why you aren't making progress.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    "if you eat what you've always ate, you will weigh what you've always weighed."

Ah, but that one is not true for everyone. I didn't change my diet or portions when I lost weight. I just ate the same and got up off my lazy *kitten* and started exercising regularly.
    And I ate what I always ate, did what I always did and then hit menopause lol.

I should have mentioned that I was already eating a healthy diet. But since I am of menopause age myself, though not quite there yet, my TDEE is very low at sedentary. Even with healthy food I am just too darn hungry if I try to eat little enough to stay thin without exercise. So, I didn't eat that little, and I didn't exercise. Dumb!
    Exactly! I was eating healthy too!
  • koen612
    koen612 Posts: 83
    Options
    Eat your calories! Don't drink them!
  • rumpusparable
    Options
    Eat on a schedule, not when you are hungry. (Pre-bypass, if I didn't eat by the clock it would take me a day or three between meals because that's how long it took me to get hungry. Now after the bypass I have to keep doing the same thing.)
  • toshie333
    toshie333 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Forgive yourself - if you slip up start again the nexxt day - dont let a day turn into a week off track. dont let a week turn into two... easily done!
  • sjeagle30
    sjeagle30 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    If you fail to plan...plan to fail.