What is the best weight loss advice you ever heard?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    "Forget your weight and focus on your health."
  • Solosesso
    Solosesso Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    (I have little quotes pinned all over my house for extra motivation, but I find the ones on the fridge to be the most helpful haha.)

THAT. Simple. Genius.

(Heading to the printer right away to fill my house with little motivation kickers!! =D )
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    "if you eat what you've always ate, you will weigh what you've always weighed."
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    "Don't make any changes that you can't see yourself keeping up for the rest of your life." After gaining and losing several times, this is what made it click for me that "dieting" doesn't work, and that the process is never over. If you make extreme changes to meet a goal and then go back to what you were doing before, you'll be back where you started before you know it! Sustainability is key.
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    "Check out this website: myfitnesspal.com"
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Practice portion control.
  • Solosesso
    Solosesso Posts: 103 Member
    Options

THIS! Made me laugh =P
  • mmreed
    mmreed Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Go hard or go home.

simply put, dont make excuses, dont be nice to yourself if you screw up, dont say its ok to have a cheat meal.

Fact is, as obese, we are food addicts. You wouldn't let an alcoholic have a cheat drink, why as food addicts is it ok to have cheat meals? the subconscious mind knows you allow for it and it will use that against you.

When it comes to weight loss - nice guys DO finish last. Get tough. Accept no excuses. Adopt a zero tolerance and have repercussions when you do go off track - but also reward systems for when you do progress.
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    The single best advice I've heard:

Appearance is a consequence of fitness

If you sit on the couch and eat Doritos all day, chances are you look like you sit on the couch and eat Doritos all day. If you run a few marathons a year, over time you will look like you run a few marathons a year. If you dedicate yourself to becoming a boxer, incidentally over time you will look like a boxer. Train like a gymnast and you will begin to look like a gymnast.

Far too many people want to look like a professional athlete while doing virtually nothing to achieve that goal; there are rare cases where people can fake it, look like they are far more fit than they really are; chances are you aren't that person, don't bother trying to see if you are. Do it the hard way, the right way, and you won't have to wonder why you aren't making progress.

Love this!!
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    1) Eat lean protean and vegges. 2) Exercise.
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    80% of your gym result (gain and loose weight) is due to your diet.

That was also a trigger for me. 80% of your weight loss is diet. I used to go to the gym daily and never lost a lb.

This is the best one I got too!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    From a 14-year WW leader- "It really is just math, folks."
    And to me this is the worst. There's so much more to it than this statement implies.

Depends how you take it, the statement itself is correct.

The problem with it is that it assumes the listener has a basic level of common sense when it comes to nutrition. Which sadly, many don't.

It also assumes a basic competancy in mathematics, which likewise sadly many (most) lack.

And an understanding that it's all estimates, we do underestimate our intake and overestimate our activity, and weight loss doesn't happen in a straight linear pattern. When you don't lose one week, that doesn't mean you did something wrong. Stick to your plan. Find a new motivator besides the scale.
  • Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options

LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!! Same for me too!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    From a 14-year WW leader- "It really is just math, folks."
    And to me this is the worst. There's so much more to it than this statement implies.

Depends how you take it, the statement itself is correct.

The problem with it is that it assumes the listener has a basic level of common sense when it comes to nutrition. Which sadly, many don't.

It also assumes a basic competancy in mathematics, which likewise sadly many (most) lack.

And an understanding that it's all estimates, we do underestimate our intake and overestimate our activity, and weight loss doesn't happen in a straight linear pattern. When you don't lose one week, that doesn't mean you did something wrong. Stick to your plan. Find a new motivator besides the scale.
    And an understanding of all the other factors that play in (including hormones) and an understanding of how to eat to fuel our bodies so the weight doesn't come back.
    LOTS of folks are good at losing weight. Seems the number of folks who can keep it off for a lifetime is a much smaller number.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    "SHUT YOUR PIE HOLE!!!!"

Seriously though, it was buy a kitchen scale. I actually know what food weighs and I can make fairly accurate estimations of what the food weighs when I'm away from my kitchen because I really know what a proper size looks like and can me more in control of my nutrition.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    The authorities say the vast majority of us have healthy thyroids and can lose weight just fine using the normal recommendations.

95% of ALL people regain, it doesn't matter what they ate while they lost.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Ah, but that one is not true for everyone. I didn't change my diet or portions when I lost weight. I just ate the same and got up off my lazy *kitten* and started exercising regularly.
  • snusp
    snusp Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    That I have gotten - Don't let a slip define your progress

Love that! I tend to continue overeating when first started. I fight that!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Stop eating when you're full. <----That is so important. I know I always finished my plate because "it was good" rather eating for nutrients.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Ah, but that one is not true for everyone. I didn't change my diet or portions when I lost weight. I just ate the same and got up off my lazy *kitten* and started exercising regularly.
    And I ate what I always ate, did what I always did and then hit menopause lol.