Has anyone tried DDP yoga

Options

Replies

• backdraft311
    Options
    Thermogenic, I believe =)
  • backdraft311
    Options
    If you get your heart moving...you create internal heat...the internal heat burns fat... there's a scientific way to describe it but I don't have the words.

There's nothing scientific about what you just said. Just stick with "exercise helps you lose weight". :wink: It's the burning of the fat (among other sources) that generates energy, not the other way around.

I have been schooled... Thanks.
  • backdraft311
    Options
    Olemanjake you were indeed correct; it is the thermogenic effect.
  • akathatoneguy
    akathatoneguy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am buying the DVDs today...I've been lifting weights for a year and a half now with the goal of getting pretty big, but I want something that helps make me (and keep me) limber so I don't become a stiff ball of muscle as I continue to grow. I've had a lot of back issues in recent years and I'm hoping this will help me out. I'm pretty excited to get started.
  • Smilekeith
    Options
    With Yoga, I guess with a lot of programs, the weight lost isn't as evident as you would like immediately. I don't know you, or your situation, but I am willing to bet that you feel a little less tired. A little more energized. For me, I noticed that getting out of bed was a creaky in the morning, or that tying my shoe wasn't a hassle. I am off an on, but you have to take not of the feeling you have, not just a number or a measurement. Those things come. First things first, and that's you feeling like you are moving better
  • Bcarlson7114
    Bcarlson7114 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was rear ended 2 years ago and severely damaged my lowest four discs. My neurologist said that yoga is the largest growing non traditional therapy that is becoming more and more accepted and encouraged in modern medicine. I was working with an amazing kinesiologist, and within weeks had made significant improvement. The key was using pointed workouts designed to strengthen the muscles around the lower back through fast paced low impact dynamic resistance workouts. The only downside was he was about $150 per hour.
    I found YRG Yoga after watching he youtube video and thought I'd give it a try. I have moved across country And needed a workout comparable to my expensive treatment. I was amazed at the very first workout. Not only were the workouts similar, but DDP has a very similar coaching style of not pushing beyond your limits. He has alternatives for those of us that can't do a full splits while doing a one handed hand stand. His focus is on using dynamic resistance, not just to excessive but to build the whole body simultaneously as a complete system. I can't tell you how many times I am pouring sweat in 10-15 min and I haven't moved off my mat. The workouts build on each other and you start to feel yourself getting stronger with each workout.
    I also like that I can take the DVDs everywhere. There are no bungies, or bars, or equipment of any kind. Through dynamic resistance you create your own equipment. I am on the road about 45% of the time and I can easily pop a DVD into my laptop in the hotel and get in a solid workout. Each session takes anywhere from 15-35 min so there is no excuse for making time. Or if you want more of a workout you can do multiple sessions. I highly recommend YRG Yoga. It has been a huge asset to my Heath!
  • workingclassdog
    Options
    just got the DVDs as a birthday/Christmas present...hoping this will help alleviate the bulging disc problems in my C5-C7...anxious & nervous, but praying I'll do okay.
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I just started doing DDP yoga, but would like to know what kind of Yoga mats you all have? My knees have been bothering me from having to get up and down on them all the time. Does anyone have any recommendations? It's getting to the point where it's unbearable.
  • MsDeitra
    MsDeitra Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Newbie with lots of weight to lose.. I have a quick question for those that use DDPYoga, What do you chart this under for exercise on mfp? As its Yoga only more so, calisthenics, aerobics, mma, etc etc..

I need all the motivation I can get so love seeing my exercise credit go up when I've made it through a workout.

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I usually do TDEE - 20%ish, so I don't log DDPYoga separately, but I feel doing it makes me "lightly active" (I do a couple of other things as well).
  • jancamp
    Options
    Know this post started a while back and I hope someone can answer my question. I am thinking of ordering the DVDs for my husband but he has shoulder issues. One shoulder has had surgery already but they were only able to repair to approx 66 to 75 % and the other rotator cup is also torn badly. From the yoga I do, there is a lot of shoulder used, is this the same? Has anyone with torn rotator cups done these DVDs? And if so, what were the results? He is very heavy and I know he'll have to take it slow if he is able to. Do these DVDs at all with his injuries
  • momebs
    momebs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How long is each workout? i.e.: I'm inspired by what I see, but I cannot work out for large timeframes yet.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    The workouts vary in length. I think the shortest one is 10 minutes The "Energy" workout that you do regularly as a beginner is 20 minutes. I think that most are around 20 - 40 minutes. I find them easier to fit in than many DVD workouts - you don't need much space or equipment.
  • Suburbia67
    Options
    I finally decided to start this last week and it's seriously kicking my *kitten*! I love everything about it. From the simple instructions to the motivating dialogue. I gotta say that it's a HUGE motivational booster and really helps wake me up with a smile in the morning. This is the first time of my life I actually look forward to getting home and work out! :D
  • tenella02
    Options
    Wondering how this is on your knees? I have a something patella lol, it hurts thats all that matters, dr. said I need to strengthen quads so... any input on how it feels on your knees? Thanks so much!
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I just started this on Wednesday. I've done it three days in a row: Diamond Dozen on Wed and Energy on Thursday and Friday. I've never done any kind of exercise three days in a row.

This morning I was debating whether I should do it again or not. I wanted to, but I didn't want to hurt myself, but ultimately, I really WANTED to, so I did and I am glad. I feel great. I've never, ever in my life actually wanted to workout. It's a totally weird, foreign, crazy feeling. I usually force myself out of guilt, half-*kitten* it and then tell myself I will do it again in two days and ultimately don't bother.

On all three days I burned over 300 calories in less than 30 minutes.

As for the knees. There are a lot of poses that require being on your knees. You could skip those, but I don't know if it would really benefit you if you did. I got a thick exercise mat and it helps with my knees and hands. The only problems with the thick mat are that it makes it harder to balance and after standing for a long time it hurts my arches.

It really does get your heart rate up without impacting the joints.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    tagged
  • _KrisMarie
    Options
    Tagging for later...
  • jos3php
    jos3php Posts: 38
    Options
    Does anyone have first hand experience between DDP Yoga and P90X Yoga? I do the P90X one now, and the youtube videos I do not really trust because you never know who is up front and who is selling.
  • _KrisMarie
    Options
    I just wanted to share this if anyone wants to try it. I found a working coupon code for 10% off. It worked yesterday (3/14/14). It's DDPBBB. Hope that's helpful if you're looking to buy DDP Yoga.