Is Reading a Woman Thing?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I have a house full of books and only handful are mine, the rest are my hubby's.
    LOL same here!
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Pick up "The Hobbit" and "Lord Of The Rings" By J.R.R. Tolkien two of the best fiction books ever written.

I'm officially in love with you.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Do men read books?

I do not have a single male friend that I know of that reads books. Oh, maybe a sports book on baseball history or something, but I have never seen one of my male friends read before. I read, but I hide it because I'm embarrassed because it seems like something women do. Also, it does appear that a lot of books are geared more for women than men. I have great difficulty finding books to read. I like rock & roll history, and other weird stuff. I don't like fiction much, unless it's really funny, or really scary. But, mostly I just read weird stuff, philosophy, other worldly material, diet and exercise, etc.

Bored, much?
  • joy31021
    joy31021 Posts: 216
    Options
    I read about 3 hours a day. when i lived in mexico was a book a day
  • ShareeMorty
    ShareeMorty Posts: 324 Member
    Options

"If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't **** them." -John Waters

This for the win!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the nice comments. I appreciate it. I've read a good bit in my life. It just got away from me the past few years and I've always noticed that my guy friends don't read.

Anyway, not to worry. I just downloaded Stephen Kings 11/23/63 to my kindle. I'm enjoying it so far.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I read. Mainly fantasy, but also digest a lot of information on a lot of different subjects through textbooks.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    It amazes me that so many women surround themselves with troglodytes and then paint all men with that brush. This hurts our society.

YES I READ, MY FATHER READS, MY BROTHER READS, MY UNCLES READ, MY SON READS.
  • ladyprofaz
    ladyprofaz Posts: 66
    Options
    My husband reads, my male colleagues read, my son-in-laws read, my father reads. To the best of my knowledge, none of them are women.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    My hubby reads constantly (even when watching TV) and so does my son age 21. I hate to read and I try to read the newspaper everyday, one magazine a month and 2-3 books a year at the request of my son.
  • mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    My dad loves to read, that's where I get my love for them!
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I am an avid reader and, last time I checked, I'm male.
  • Caniac68
    Caniac68 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Reading is not a womanly thing. I read...always have. I love reading fantasy, sci-fi and horror for fiction as well as historically based books and philosophy. Every now and then, I will read something on sports...but that is the rare item. Right now, I am exploring the Buddhist concepts and reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance after having read a number of other books on the subject. It's a great book...I highly recommend it. If you need some fiction authors, I suggest trying Douglas Adams' book Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, anything by Terry Pratchett, H.P. Lovecraft or Robert Heinlein. Keep reading and don't worry about what your male friends say or do.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Man + Book = Sexy
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend listens to more books than I do, and I read 3-6 books a month. Granted I said listen - we both love audio books and listen while we work/ drive/ and walk.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Do men read books?

I do not have a single male friend that I know of that reads books. Oh, maybe a sports book on baseball history or something, but I have never seen one of my male friends read before. I read, but I hide it because I'm embarrassed because it seems like something women do. Also, it does appear that a lot of books are geared more for women than men. I have great difficulty finding books to read. I like rock & roll history, and other weird stuff. I don't like fiction much, unless it's really funny, or really scary. But, mostly I just read weird stuff, philosophy, other worldly material, diet and exercise, etc.

I've not ready any other post on this thread than this.....I read over 100 books a year...not counting comics LOL.
  • apgant
    apgant Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I HATE to read........thanks to nursing school. That's all I ever accomplished during school.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    So, how do you find books to read? Do you just have a handful of authors that you follow, look at the NY's top best sellers, go with Oprah (if she still does that), or just sort of wing it?

I'm not really sure what I like. I skip around a lot. The only authors I know I like are Stephen King and James Patterson. I don't really know any others. I've spent my life reading non-fiction and lots and lots and lots of text books. And, I went through a "classics" period too, where I read everything from "Moby D*ck" to "Madame Bovary". My favorite from that period is "Old Man and the Sea". Man, I love that book. Comedy is my absolute favorite. If you ask me, I would never say comedy, I would say horror. But, looking at my movie habits, I can't find a single comedy on Netflix that I haven't seen. But, lots and lots of drama and horror I haven't watched and keep skipping over. So, I think I like comedy. Only took my 47 years to realize that. LOL. Maybe I'm in a self-discovery mode right now (or a mid-life crisis). LOL