Victory

Options
BrettPGH
BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
Hi. Here's someone I'd like you to meet.

100_1145-1-1.jpg100_1189-1-1.jpg100_1182-1.jpgredshirt-1-2-1.jpg

That was me. Not because I let myself go. Not because I got older and stopped being active. I have always been fat. I was never an athlete of any sort. Never exercised. Just ate. Watched tv, read and played video games. That was my life. So that's how I looked. Swollen. Bloated. Painful.

But sometimes in life you want something. Something more than what you're used to. I decided I wanted to be a hero. I'd read comics my whole life. I was tired of being fat and reading about brave men and women. I wanted a change.

So I signed up to take the City of Pittsburgh Fire Fighter exam. Figured there's no closer job to being what I was after. A hero.

I joined MFP and started watching my calories. Then I joined the forums and learned how important exercise was. I joined a gym and started swimming, figuring that would be a great way to shed the pounds. It worked. I kept my calories low and did plenty of cardio.

I went from being that guy to being this guy
021512175608-1-1.jpg021512175741-1-1.jpg
Think that's a success story? No no dear readers. That's skinny fat is what that is. We call that guy Elliptical Boy. Not what anyone really wants. I'd lost a lot of weight yes, but a lot of muscle as well. Had I continued with cardio alone.. well I don't even want to think about that.

So I took some good advice and started lifting. Nothing could have been better for me. Lifting got me the results I really wanted. Which you'll see.. in a minute. (I know you *kitten* are all scrolling anyway)

My first day at the gym I saw a flyer about a Warrior Dash. I thought it looked amazing. I thought how cool it would be to run one in a Captain America t-shirt. That was such a fantasy goal of mine.

See this guy?
WD9-1.jpg

Work for your goals. Because nothing feels better than accomplishing them.

So with a Warrior Dash out of the way I just had one more boss battle to complete. The Fire Fighter physical exam. A grueling 4 minutes where you'll carry a 25lb tank on your back, drag a 150lb dummy, hammer a steel beam across a length of track, pick up a 50lb bag and run up and down 5 flights of stairs, hoisting a 45lb rope up a building... serious business.

My test was yesterday. I scored a perfect 100%. Thanks to a year of hard work, determination and the watchful eye of a dear friend wh htd vwls.

So now? Now I'm this guy
after5.jpg070512105804-1.jpg062912141059-1-1.jpg062112171419-1.jpg

No secrets. No tricks. No magic shakes. Moderation. Eating my cals. Exercise. It really does work for everyone. You just actually have to do it.

And being on MFP has changed my life. I could never have done this without the support of my friends. Seriously you don't understand I LOVE these people! They are remarkable and I share in their victories and cheer their successes. They are wonderful to me and I owe them more than I could ever possibly express. My friends are the best people here. Hands down.

Some have even become more than just friends. Some I've crawled through mud with, scaled walls with and jumped over fire with. These are my bravest warriors. My Warbound. And as such they do get a bit of a special thank you.

Maab...who always inspires and watches out for me. Shan..who's always believed in me, even when I didn't. And Joy...who swears I'm gay.

That's basically it. MFP works! Use it, follow the good advice. Stop getting upset if someone's being snarky and just get good information on weight loss! Stop reporting people for every little thing! The best advice I've received on this site all came from people who are either now banned or have 2 strikes, like I myself do (hope you ladies appreciated Magic Mike Monday). So you may want to get good advice from successful people while you can. They don't stay here for long. Too many people who think they're burning calories hitting the report button all day. Stop it! Go for a run would ya?

I did it. I set an insane goal for myself and I accomplished it. Now I'm going to do more of that. I suggest all of you do the same. We can all do this. You just have to be brave. Be a hero. It's the best feeling on the planet.

Replies

• AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    You're awesome! And so so sexy!!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You are amazing Brett! A true inspiration! You look fantastic, congratulations on how far you have come!!!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    you ROCKED that transformation!!
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    You are my hero :flowerforyou:
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    You're awesome, Brett! MUAH!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Amazing transformation, and congrats on acing the firefighter physical!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Bump
    later at home...work blocks
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    What an awesome victory. Way to go, dude!

You're definitely an inspiration, and I'm going to revisit this topic on days when I get the "what's the point?" bug.

Congratulations on your success. You definitely rock! :happy:
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I fawkin' LOOOOOVE THIS! Every last bit. Well said. Job well done. You. Are. Da. Man. BAMF. YESSSSSS!!!!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    FINALLY!!!! About d@mn time you got this posted.

Brett you've been my friend on here a long time. I sent you a request after some lively debate in the debate group. I have always admired your wit, your mind and your ability to cut through the bs. We went through a period of misunderstanding, as I like to call it. :) But I've been so happy to follow your progress and see what great things you have done.

Love you so much B, congrats!
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Niicce!
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    So proud of you!!
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    Wow!! That transformation is absolutely incredible. Congratulations on all your hard work, you look amazing! Inspirational. :flowerforyou:
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Brett I'm so f*cking proud of you
    I've actually shed a tear
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Holy hell I love you!!!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    And that is how *kitten* gets done.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    so awesome!!
  • NaomiDollar
    NaomiDollar Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Your story gives the rest of us hope! You look great!
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Amazing transformation Brett, congratulations on your victory! :drinker:
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I teared up a little bit. So freaking proud of you and glad you're my friend. You rock my socks.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!