The Food Industry and Obesity

Options

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    What? That response doesn't even make sense. Out of 310 million people in the US, 18 million have type 2 diabetes. That's 6% of the US population. It also happens to be 6.5% world's diabetes population. China and India both have much higher percentages of diabetes, so I don't even see how this argument can seriously be used, as other countries with equally processed foods have much lower rates of diabetes, and other countries with much lower rates of processed food have higher rates of diabetes.

The facts just don't live up to the fear mongering.
  • rach7turtle
    rach7turtle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    i have been eating healthy for a while now and haven't had much fast food. i had some today and chose only a fish sandwich all i could taste was the salt it was sooo gross. id rather eat at home any day! and i feel like i wasted 450 something calories for nothing. id rather have eaten 400 calories of hummus and vegetables.
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I swear, you'd think this was a religious forum the way everyone tries to push their agenda and beliefs onto other people. Seriously, just replace a few words here and there, and you have the same zealotry as on any christian, atheist, muslim, etc... forum.

Is whole food better? I don't know, and can't tell you. It seems like both sides of the debate go out of their ways to cloud up the facts, because they're trying to get one over on the other guy.

Sadly, unless the world population is drastically reduced... and I mean drastically... factory farming is here to stay. There just aren't enough mom and pop farmers to support the amount of people that are already here.

In closing... (I learned that in the persuasive writing unit of English in high school :bigsmile: ) why don't we just quit arguing about it? No one is going to convince the other person that is dead set in their beliefs that their way is better.

At this point, I almost think you guys are deliberately trolling, because you want to argue.

If people feel that commercially produced, processed food is fine and healthy - then I say have at it, gorge yourself on Soda, Hot Pockets, pink slime burgers and Ring Dings... I know that I have eliminated 85 percent of this stuff from my diet and the results are non debatable to me - my weight is down lower than it ever has been, my strength and fitness are the highest they have ever been, I am mentally sharper and more focused - I have more energy.

Because it's definitely an all or nothing situation. You're either a clean eater or you're stuffing yourself with junk.

The olive oil I cooked my eggs in this morning, processed. The piece of toast, processed. The butter on that toast, processed. The salad dressing, cheddar cheese and greek yogurt I had with lunch, processed. And call me crazy, but I like not having to churn my own butter and squeeze out my own olive oil. Just because something is processed does not make it a nutritional nightmare.

Not sure I follow - I don't think anyone suggested that all processed food is evil (although granted some people feel that way) - But I think comparing Olive Oil made by the likes of a small brand like the Cento food company to GMO modified Franken-foods like those grown from big Agra seeds is comparing apples and oranges.

I don't want to churn my own butter either, but I would rather (at least try to) buy it from a small local dairy producer who does not load it up with preservatives and garbage while supporting my local business community. How is this unrealistic, "radical" or anti American? Why would you rather support a multinational, commercial agra, business who wants to produce the cheapest, lowest quality food in the fastest way possible (including using controversial genetic science) with no regard to its effects on the health of you are your family and has no concern about American family farms or the communities that surround them.

I don't really get the debate - it seems like a no-brainer to me. I am really surprised that so many people claiming to be health conscious on this site are so blindly trusting of the government and the food industry. What have either of these done to earn your blind trust with regard to the food you put in your body?
    I find it interesting that you mention Cento, and call them a small brand, when they are a multinational importer/distributer with about 6 or 7 separate brands. Much more comparable to big Agra than the family farm.

Cento is a large brand??? Really??? A family built company based in Deptford NJ (farming area) with 109 employees and 145 million in annual revenues is comparable to big Agra - really now????

http://www.manta.com/g/mmlg7xd/alfred-m-ciccotelli-sr

Hmmm.... By comparison here are the numbers for Monsanto and ConAgra (which I consider multinational giant Agra business (as would most business experts) and the main producers of most supermarket Franken-Foods

Monsanto - 26,100 employees, 11.8 Billion (That's with a B) in Sales (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsanto)
    ConAgra - 25,000 employees, 12.4 Billion (That's with a B) in Sales (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ConAgra)

BTW - Cento is so small they do not even have a Wikipedia entry...

You were saying? Wait, wait I need to polish my tin foil hat :bigsmile:
  • weightlosshippie
    weightlosshippie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Real people = real food. Processed/fake people = processed/fake food
  • eduardo_d
    eduardo_d Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Eat food, not too much, mostly plants.

^^this
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    HFCS is NOT different metabolically in the body. It's split into sucrose and fructose, just like any other polysaccharide that contains glucose and fructose, and processed just like any other sugar. There are thousands of different molecular combinations of sugar out there, HFCS is certainly not unique. The human body has specific enzymes specifically for digesting these different combinations.
    but HFCS raises blood sugar levels more than other forms of sugar. Our body doesn't think it is the same

As for MSG, it's naturally occurring in just about every natural food on the planet. It's in meat, mushrooms, asparagus, nori, kelp, fish, etc. Hell, glutamate is an amino acid MADE BYTHE HUMAN BODY. Yes, it's obviously poison. :huh:

Naturally occurring MSG =/= Added MSG. And no asian food doesn't require MSG, it is added when people are trying to cheap out from using the right ingredients. It is like HFCS.
  • lkplibra
    lkplibra Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Eat food, not too much, mostly plants.

^^^^ Perfect!
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    HFCS raises blood sugar levels more than other forms of sugar. Our body doesn't think it is the same
    Naturally occurring MSG =/= Added MSG.

Stop making things up.
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Jack Lalanne used to say 60 years ago and up until he died at age 96.
    IF MAN MAKES IT, DON'T EAT IT

And George Burns smoked cigars and drank martinis until he died at the age of 100.

Just saying.
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    The truth of the matter is that no one is perfect and not all of us have the restraint to eat strictly whole foods all the time. I think there should be some enjoyment in eating occasionaly. But I do agree that most of what is processed is pretty bad for your health. Myself personally, I have struggled with problems with yeast since my late teens and I recently stumbled upon the candida cleanse. Hardest thing I have ever done in my life, but did I feel more energized then ever by day 4....absolutely! Now I try to do NO SUGAR (unless it comes from a complex carb: veggie or whole grain (not bread) ) at least 2 days a week. I have far less problems with yeast and I can tell when I need to do a no sugar day because my body definitely feels different. There is definitely something positive to be said for eating only whole foods.
  • Timmmy40
    Timmmy40 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the great article. I agree with how bad MSG, aspurtame, high fructose corn syrup are bad for you. If I eat anything with MSG in it I know about it because 30mins to an hour later I have to run to the bathroom. My body has to purge itself of the disgusting garbage that MSG is. I have to watch everything I eat. I never eat fast food or restaurants that have buffet style meals. I am not dissing Golden Coral. I have eaten there resently, I just stayed away from those foods that contained the garbage. They do have an outstanding salad bar. Anyways, one time I was eating at Golden Coral a few years ago with a freind. I ate a few pieces of steak and within 10mins my heart rate increased, I started sweating like crazy and I had to run to the bathroom. After that, I came back feeling great made another plate and 10mins later I was back in the bathroom. I should have learned the first time. I will not do that again. I pass on most of these additives and I will not eat any food that was prepared with MSG. MSG is a nasty product that is not needed in good healthy organic foods. Preserved foods forget it I will not eat them. There is a lot of truth to be told about this article. One thing is that you need to know what you are eating. If the label has more than 4 ingredients then you need to question the food. Thank you for posting. Good luck to all on your weight loss!! :smile:
  • aqm22
    aqm22 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    HFCS is NOT different metabolically in the body. It's split into sucrose and fructose, just like any other polysaccharide that contains glucose and fructose, and processed just like any other sugar. There are thousands of different molecular combinations of sugar out there, HFCS is certainly not unique. The human body has specific enzymes specifically for digesting these different combinations.
    but HFCS raises blood sugar levels more than other forms of sugar. Our body doesn't think it is the same

As for MSG, it's naturally occurring in just about every natural food on the planet. It's in meat, mushrooms, asparagus, nori, kelp, fish, etc. Hell, glutamate is an amino acid MADE BYTHE HUMAN BODY. Yes, it's obviously poison. :huh:

Naturally occurring MSG =/= Added MSG. And no asian food doesn't require MSG, it is added when people are trying to cheap out from using the right ingredients. It is like HFCS.

Believe me or not. MSG is used by every house wife in Asia. I'm sure they are very obese. Trust me, it's not the MSG that's making you fat.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the great article. I agree with how bad MSG, aspurtame, high fructose corn syrup are bad for you. If I eat anything with MSG in it I know about it because 30mins to an hour later I have to run to the bathroom. My body has to purge itself of the disgusting garbage that MSG is. I have to watch everything I eat. I never eat fast food or restaurants that have buffet style meals. I am not dissing Golden Coral. I have eaten there resently, I just stayed away from those foods that contained the garbage. They do have an outstanding salad bar. Anyways, one time I was eating at Golden Coral a few years ago with a freind. I ate a few pieces of steak and within 10mins my heart rate increased, I started sweating like crazy and I had to run to the bathroom. After that, I came back feeling great made another plate and 10mins later I was back in the bathroom. I should have learned the first time. I will not do that again. I pass on most of these additives and I will not eat any food that was prepared with MSG. MSG is a nasty product that is not needed in good healthy organic foods. Preserved foods forget it I will not eat them. There is a lot of truth to be told about this article. One thing is that you need to know what you are eating. If the label has more than 4 ingredients then you need to question the food. Thank you for posting. Good luck to all on your weight loss!! :smile:

What happens when you eat parmesan or roquefort cheese? What about ripe tomatoes or shiitake mushrooms?
  • tigersword
    Options

Source? Most peer reviewed research seems to completely disagree with you.
  • tigersword
    Options

What happens when you eat parmesan or roquefort cheese? What about ripe tomatoes or shiitake mushrooms?
    What about beef? Pork? Chicken? Fish? Nori?
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

I am not a biochemist, and I'm definitely not familiar with *most* of the peer review research,

Effects of high-fructose corn syrup and sucrose on the pharmacokinetics of fructose and acute metabolic and hemodynamic responses in healthy subjects.
    Le MT, Frye RF, Rivard CJ, Cheng J, McFann KK, Segal MS, Johnson RJ, Johnson JA.
    Metabolism. 2012 May;61(5):641-51. Epub 2011 Dec 5.

From the abstract "Compared with sucrose, HFCS leads to greater fructose systemic exposure and significantly different acute metabolic effects."

It looks as if the sample size was a little small, but I'm not sure what's customary for this community's methodology. If nothing else, I think it means more research should be done.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

The "artificial" MSG tends to cause reactions to people with sensitivities, while the regular, "natural" MSG sources don't.
    Here's is some anecdotal evidence. http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2005/jul/10/foodanddrink.features3
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2005/jul/10/foodanddrink.features3

I have several friends with MSG sensitivities. One is Japanese. Her favorite foods are cheese and mushrooms. These (and the other natural sources) cause no problems for her, and she eats them constantly. Added MSG causes a reaction for her with in minutes. Seems fishy to me.

Of course it may not be the MSG that's the problem, but the manufacturing process or some additives. I'll keep blaming that MSG powder.

Frankly, if I want unami, I'd rather just add it with soy sauce, miso, seaweed, meat or tomatoes. There is no need to use the powder, plenty of normal stuff adds the savory/tasty notes.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Anecdotal evidence is meaningless.

They've done countless studies where "sensitive" people had reactions to MSG added in food. Of course, the people that were having the reactions were part of the group that DIDN'T eat any MSG. Scientists have mostly decided that it's psychosomatic more than anything. There are some people who are allergic, but that's extremely rare, and they tend to react to natural forms, also.

Of course, someone being allergic to something doesn't make it bad, unless you think peanuts, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, sesame, soy, and dairy are bad. Those are the top 8 food allergies, after all.
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Anecdotal evidence is meaningless.

They've done countless studies where "sensitive" people had reactions to MSG added in food. Of course, the people that were having the reactions were part of the group that DIDN'T eat any MSG. Scientists have mostly decided that it's psychosomatic more than anything. There are some people who are allergic, but that's extremely rare, and they tend to react to natural forms, also.

Of course, someone being allergic to something doesn't make it bad, unless you think peanuts, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, sesame, soy, and dairy are bad. Those are the top 8 food allergies, after all.

^^^ Food Company Troll
  • kalechip78
    Options
    2nd that