Coke Zero vs Diet Coke

Options

Replies

• mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    they are identical products.

it's marketing that has created coke zero...diet coke has a more feminine brand perception, whereas coke zero is aimed at men in general.

you know I wondered if this was the case ....
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I agree completely about sugar substitutes .... gross IMO ... just wanted to try something different
  • Kandigirl05
    Kandigirl05 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am mainly a water drinker. Today my family and I went out to eat and I had my first Coke Zero! I must admit, it wasn't too bad. I love Coke, but really didn't want to waste my calories on fluids today. I'll definitely drink it again.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Im a diet soda drinker and have been since high school, but I do love regular coke. Always have. BUT to me, coke zero is very similar to regular! I love it, and it is always my first choice :bigsmile:
  • Taratruex
    Taratruex Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Actually they are not the same. Coke zero has more caffeine than diet coke. And there is a distinct taste difference.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I just googled the difference. It says the drinks do basically have the same ingredients but different amounts give different flavors. Plus, Coca~Cola will not divulge the ingredient of "natural flavoring" so those could be different in the 2 drinks, as well.

and I agree. VERY DISTINCT flavors in the 2.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    water:smile:
    ^^
  • casperuk
    casperuk Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I HAAAAATED diet drinks before I started eating right. Coke Zero was the first diet drink I actually liked. I still can't stand the flavor of Diet Coke, but I'll take a Zero any day!

You are me ;) Zero all day. But before dieting I couldnt stand diet anything. Now normal coke is too sickly.

Diet Iron Brew is the beat. It tastes almost exactly like the original and has 2 calories per litre.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    **In reply to the diet is worse then the regular

Yes, there is an argument that Diet Soda can be "worse" because the "fake sugar" makes you crave the real stuff. I think it comes down to self control. I use Splenda in my coffee ( I drink about 3 cups a day) and yeah I do crave sugar but I think it's more that I was ADDICTED to soda (seriously, like a 12 pack every 2 days). I can drink a diet and be ok now for the most part.

^^^ this.
    self control. I can not drink regular soda and rarely eat added sugar, but drink diet soda every few days and use splenda daily. I also eat fruit daily and love to eat healthy foods. Ive somehow managed to loose quite a bit of weight, keep it off and loose more, build muscle and gain endurance. All while not dying from cancer. I'll probably die of it eventually though. from something else :wink:
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options

it's marketing that has created coke zero...diet coke has a more feminine brand perception, whereas coke zero is aimed at men in general.
    I gave up sodas in favor of green tea and ice water with lemon.
    I do not trust these drinks laced with all these chemicals.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    NO COKE or any other soft drinks for that matter. It is water, sometimes add lemon, lime or orange slices or home brewed iced tea!
  • dixie_eagle
    Options
    Coke Zero has a little bit more of a 'spicy' taste, which mimics the taste of real Coke a little better than Diet Coke.
    We have both stocked in my office's open kitchen. I like to swap it up and drink both from time to time.

Although, yes, what someone mentioned about the advertising/marketing is right.

Coke Zero is marketed towards a male demographic, while Diet Coke is marketed towards women. Diet Coke is a little too girly for men, or so advertising would have us think. :) Same with Dr. Pepper 10.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Well they both are crap....meaning you shouldn't drink either.
    wrong.
    Anything with artificial sweetners will just enhance food cravings
    wrong.
    plus they can cause cancer
    wrong.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I just googled the difference. It says the drinks do basically have the same ingredients but different amounts give different flavors. Plus, Coca~Cola will not divulge the ingredient of "natural flavoring" so those could be different in the 2 drinks, as well.

and I agree. VERY DISTINCT flavors in the 2.
    Thanks for the information. My "what I learned on MFP today". :smile:
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Also, doesn't Coke zero have a little less aspartame? I believe they replace it with another sweetener of some kind.
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Im pretty sure other than marketing, Diet Coke is a nutrasweet based product (Although there are now splenda versions) while Zero has always been splenda. They do tast different as well. Zero is a stronger bite and is much closer to the taste of Coke without all the sugary sticky taste in your mouth afterwards.

As far as drinking them vs. water... buyer beware... I chose to drink them but there are legitimate concerns you need to research and decide for yourself.
  • LadyVivica
    LadyVivica Posts: 84 Member
    Options

No, that is false. Diet coke has a distinct taste that certain people like and is very popular with a certain demographic. Coke Zero was invented to be a closer substitute for Coke Classic. If Diet Coke were to be removed from the market, Coke would suffer tremendously because of the popularity of the distinct taste of Diet Coke that many people prefer over other drinks.

You are correct about the marketing perception though. Diet Coke is most popular with women, thus has been marketed towards them. Coke Zero, however, is marketed towards a broader scope of people that want the taste of Coke but not the calories.

That is the purposing difference of the two. The difference in ingredients are that both have Aspartame but Coke Zero contains acesulfame potassium to give the sweetness. Coke Zero contains less Aspartame thank Diet Coke but not by much.

I was Coca-Cola Marketing Intern in 2009, and had completed many case studies on and within the company.
  • MrExcessive
    Options
    I mainly drink water and IF I drink a soda it's Coke Zero or Diet Mountain Dew. I might have a soda a month if that. Not good for you!!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I don't like coke zero. it tastes like regular coke to me which is too sugary. I like diet soda's for the simple fact that they don't taste so sugary. I don't drink soda often, maybe a few times a month, but it's always diet (because I prefer the taste). I mostly just drink water.
  • jheeley1989
    Options
    I couldn't stand Diet Coke until a few months ago but I tried the Lemon & Lime Diet Coke and the Cherry Diet Coke and I think they are a lot nicer.

If I haven't got the option of them two tho I will go for Coke Zero though but only if theres no Sprite Zero on offer.