Walking With Pedometers

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,995 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Last night hubby and I had some words about me walking while watching TV.......he said my shoes were noisy and it bothered him. He was on the exercise bike.......so I sat down and then he felt bad so he told me to go ahead and walk, that he'd get used to the sounds.......thus I was able to get to my goal of 11,000 steps by bedtime.

Today was better.......the dogs and I spent 60 minutes at the dog park and I walked the whole time and I got a call from a talkative relative and I talked to her while riding the exercise bike so I already have 11,000 steps and there's still a few hours til bedtime.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: the new pedometers are Omron HJ-720ITC
    the GO Smart pocket pedometer with PC software.

One of the things I have to be careful about is getting obsessed with the number of steps and ignoring good workouts like weights and pilates and crunches squats, etc. because they don't register on the pedometer........I do give myself a calories burned credit on MFP for strength training so I can count the other exercises as calories burned to match the food I eat.:bigsmile:

We don't celebrate Christmas so we're not as frantic as a lot of people but we're selling our motorhome so we have a ton of paperwork to deal with. We're having dinner with a bunch of people on Christmas Day and then with another group on Saturday so we'll have our eating challenges.
  • Peschuntz
    Peschuntz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Walked 5.8 miles today or completed 13, 271 steps. See you later.:cry:
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I got a pair of Skechers Shape-Ups walking shoes today and am very excited to start walking in them.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Dragonfly11
    Dragonfly11 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Hey All,
    I am so excited!! You may not believe this but I FINALLY put the WATP dvd in tonight (that Pez reccomended months ago) and was very, very happy with it!! Hurray!! I was doing the 30 Day Shred on another thread and completed that. I am stronger but I really carry my weight through the hips/ thigh area and need to get back to my walking. So, made a decision to try it again and did 4 miles outside on Monday and 4 miles with this dvd tonight. I can do this before work and when I get home!! I also added some punches and other arm movements in and I got a good w/o in. Finally, something I can do before work that doesn't soak my hair and leave me with a limp pony tail:laugh: I have worn a pony tail for the majority of the year because I've been working up such a sweat before work my hair is soaked!!. DH has been really supportive I'm sure he's as sick of the Pony tail as I am!! .I just want to look decent and work out too......Pony's can be so .....boring sometimes then again...maybe I'm just vain :blushing: :laugh:
    Anyway - glad to see my friends are still here and hanging in there.
    Barb- love the new (to me) picture you look great. Caught your post about the sketchers on another thread. I love mine too!! I want to get the black ones when I can save a few pennies:wink:

Pez : Managing work and working out is a huge challenge..... making the time and finding the energy you're singing my song:noway: I hope you find a routine that works for you ~ the strength training is still something I am going to do 3 x / week and they really do make a difference. I encourage you - hang in there!! :flowerforyou: I admire that you've been really good about staying w/i your cals and logging your food. I kind of fell of the caloric wagon over the holidays and picked up like 2 lbs! You're doing great.

11742 step for me today ~ i'll take it

Have a great nite,
    Janet:heart:
  • Dragonfly11
    Options
    Good Morning Walkers,
    Happy 2010!! Hope all had a safe and happy holiday and are looking with hopeful eyes towards the upcoming year. Seems like every TV commercial and email is all about New Years diet/resolutions!! Makes me laugh because trying to get healthiers and eat in a more balanced way is so much more than just a resolution - it's a lifestyle change ... and not one that can be done alone!!
    I didn't feel like a dvd this morning and it was beautiful but way too cold to go outside so I watched the end of a movie while fast walking and doing punches - and jogged during the commercials:laugh: !! DId pretty good too - had to chuckle and think of Barbie, my husband woke up twice and said "you're exercising" ... and then started snoring again; It was too funny!
    It's 10:57 here and so far for the day the ped reads 9276, 9107 of those steps comes from walk/jogging during the last hour of "12 Angry Men" :drinker: Woo Hoo!! And still have the rest of the day!!

Hope all have time to spend with friends and family

Enjoy,
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: My step counter said that I averaged just over 14,000 steps a day for the month of December. My daily goal is 11,000 but some days I've gone a lot higher.

:flowerforyou: Janet, I love your idea about jogging and exercising while watching a good movie on TV......I'm going to add that to my bag of tricks.

:flowerforyou: Peschuntz, I know you're staying focused on your good habits but it's been awhile since we've heard your reports and your encouraging words.

:flowerforyou: I did a pretty good job with my December goals especially the one about saying "No" the Christmas cookies. I'm happy to be back to the real world and back to regular food and regular schedules. I love my life so I don't need festivals and celebrations to make my life better.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Happy 2010......Let's make this a great year.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: hugs, Barbie
  • Peschuntz
    Options
    Today was relatively good. I met my trainer at her gym and did a full weight training routine interspersed with the elliptical. I was also able to walk 14,469 steps today (but with work that's becoming more of a rarity.) I want to wish everyone a wonderful, happy and healthy New Year! Be well, my friends. I will try to post more and hope you do too!:flowerforyou:
  • Peschuntz
    Options
    I just added another 3964 steps for a total of 18,433.
  • Dragonfly11
    Options
    Good Afternoon Walkers,
    Just got back home. Met with girlfriends whho had agreed to go to a 1.5 hr yoga class with me and we di go but class was cancelled!! Very disappointed about that b/c I had put off leslie this morning!! They wanted to go to Denny's instead of a walk so ended up there. I really had to search the menu out for some healthier options that place is a caloric nightmare!!! Ended up w/ whole wheat pancakes sans butter, egg whites and 2 strips turkey bacon and coffeee + good old h2o!! Which didn't wreck my day.
    All that came in @ 560 cals and I still have the rest of the day to move. So far though only 1500 steps so I better get busy!!
    Yesterday got in 11,080 so i'm managing to stay in my target range min 11,000 steps/ day!!

Pez - good to see you posting. i miss reading your words of wisdom!!

Barbie - I agree with you that it's good to be back from the holiday festivities - with the diffferent eating and schedule changes to accomodate all of the celebrating it's very easy to get thrown off!! It's been wonderful but now back from "disneyland" :laugh:

Love to all,
  • Dragonfly11
    Options
    Hi Everybody,
    Just finished my workout walking for the day and so far at 11,102 for the day. Heading to "Wally World" for some last minute items and am going to get a few more steps in before I call it a day. Hope all are having a great day and are looking forward to the first week of the year. I've been on vacation since 12/22 (except for 12/30 - i went into the office to wrap up a few things before the end of the year) so hopefully it won't be too brutal:laugh: I also plan to launch our bi-annual "Biggest Loser Office" contest, which is has been a great way to get back on track after the holiday indulgences!

Hope all are doing well and staying motivated!

• Peschuntz
    Options
    Janet, so good to see you, and congrats on doing so well! Today wasn't bad, I walked 5.2 miles or a total of 12,006 steps. But I also did a 20 minute cardio workout with Gin Miller and a strength training routine using medicine balls. Please continue to post if you can since I find other posts very inspirational and motivating. Hope you do too! Have a great week!:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • SusyC
    SusyC Posts: 68
    Options
    I'm back!
    AND.... I got a pedometer for Christmas. The one you recommended, Peschuntz.! I haven't been home ... been on a nice vacation with hubby for our anniversary (New Year's Eve). And, while I only lost a pound in December, I'm happy I didn't GAIN during the holidays!

So, it's back to work tomorrow for me, teaching, and back to the treadmill. And now I can count all my steps and join the ranks of you crazy walking women! :wink:
  • SusyC
    Options
    Notice the dress. I didn't lose enough to get the dress I wanted, but, this one was almost as pretty! NEXT anniversary, I'll buy the other one. Then, I'll look like a million bucks in my new trim body that I'm sure I'll have by next New Year's Eve! :bigsmile:
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Susy, you look great in your new dress.....enjoy it while you can, because It will probably need to be replaced by a smaller one before long:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Janey, your biggest office loser sounds a great way to stay focused on your goals.

:flowerforyou: Pes, good to hear that you're still on track...your workout today sounds great.

Thanks to having to be out of the house to give hubby and his friend time for a private conversation, I walked for an hour at WalMart (it's so much easier to walk there now that the holiday crowds are gone) and then later walked for an hour at the dog park......there were a bunch of wonderful large dog puppies there and it was so much fun........I have over 16000 steps today.....way over my goal of 11,000:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: hugs:heart::heart: :heart: Barbie
  • Dragonfly11
    Options
    Hey Everybody,
    :yawn: really tired tonight - first day back to work - did get in 14,102 steps today and didn't go over in any area in my food log!! Woo Hoo !!
    Hope all are well and will post more tomorrow!

Have a terrific nite all,
  • SusyC
    Options
    Janet,
    Way to go getting in so many steps! I went back to work yesterday and ended up doing about 3,000 fewer steps than I managed to get through my Christmas break. Rats! I'll have to work harder today on getting the steps I need. Shouldn't be too tough since I woke up earlier than normal this morning. Someone turned the thermostat up to an intolerable heat and I was sweating like crazy. Doesn't help my hot flashes at all! But, it'll give me some extra time before work to work out.

Take care all, and keep walking!

Susy
  • SusyC
    Options
    Got in just over 10,000 steps today ... despite work! :happy:
  • Peschuntz
    Options
    Excellent Susy! Today I completed 5 miles or11,407 steps, in addition to completing an upper body strength training routine. How is everyone else doing? Janet? Barb, how's your new pedometer? Where are you girls?:flowerforyou:
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: My DH bought me an Omron pedometer and I just got it set up. Now I have a step counter in each pocket:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I love the step counter on my cell phone but by next month we'll be changing our cell phone carrier and getting new phones so I'll be needing a step counter

I've been maintaining my average of 14,000 steps a day (keep in mind that I don't go to a job every day) which has been very satisfying. A man at the dog park today said that he noticed that I was still on my "forced march":laugh: I walk while the dogs play and everyone else either stands around or throws a ball using a "chucker"
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    So this is my first time posting b/c I rarely use a pedometer. I assumed I was sedentary b/c I sit most of the day but I put on the pedometer yesterday and my non aerobic steps were almost 3 miles. So I am not as sedentary as I thought. I just have a cheapo pedometer. I think I am going to get the Omron.

Anyway thanks for reading.