Favorite things to do with an Avocado

Options

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I eat 1/4 to1/2 an avocado every day. One of my favorite things is chicken lemongrass soup with chopped fresh avocado added just before eatting! (I order it without rice or noodles)
  • escape4asecond
    Options
    Mashed with lemon or lime juice and spread on toast. YUM!!
  • jennifermaffei17
    Options
    I wasn't going to reply because I don't do much with avocados other than sandwiches or salads but I just wanted to say how much I absolutely love avocado!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-probably going to have one on a sandwich tomorrow for my lunch! :-)
  • shannajojo
    shannajojo Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Avocado-Almond Pudding

From familycircle.com

2 ripe avocados
    3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    1.4 cup honey
    1/4 cup sliced almonds

Combine avocados, almond milk, and honey in a blender.
    Puree until smooth.
    Spoon into 6 individual dessert bowls or glasses, and top with toasted almonds.

Per serving 178
    Cal 12 g
    Fat 2 g sat
    Pro 18 g
    Carb 5 g
    Fiber 28 mg
    Sodium 0 mg
  • Fat2Fit4Life
    Fat2Fit4Life Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Cameo530
    Cameo530 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Avocado Soup

1 Tblsp Olive Oil
    2 Cloves garlic, chopped
    1 1/2 cups salsa
    4 cups vegetable broth
    2 Hass avocados
    Juice of 1 lime
    2 Tblsps minced fresh parsley
    Salt and fresh ground pepper

In a soup pan, heat the oil, add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Stir in 1 cup of the salsa and all of the broth. Simmer for 5 minutes.

Halve and pit one avocado, coarsely chop and add to pot. Process with an stick blender until well combined. If you don't have a stick blender put the avocado in a regular blender with a cup or so of the hot broth and blend it and return it to the pot, then go straight out and buy a stick blender because it is the most awesome kitchen gadget ever.

Simmer over low heat for awhile, then dice the remaining avocado and add half to the pot. Dish up bowls of soup and garnish with remaining avocado, salsa, and minced parsley.

From Quick-Fix Vegetarian by Robin Robertson, only they call it "Creamy Tortilla Soup" in there and they also have you cook up some tortilla strips and add them for garnish, but believe me, you don't need them.
  • R_ecluse
    Options
    1 avocado ( ripe )
    condensed milk ( to taste ...depends how sweet you like it )
    skim/milk 3/4 cup
    ice cubes
    Blend.
  • S2012R
    Options
    That sounds fantastic! I will have to try this!
  • head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Actually, my favourite avocado thing is a very basic salad:

tomato (big and ripe)
    avocado
    tuna in oil (drained)
    salt
    pepper

melts in your mouth!
  • foslisa
    foslisa Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Love it cubed with a squeeze of lime juice and salt, or on a low calorie BLT made with lo cal bread, tomato, light mayo, lettuce, turkey bacon and, of course, the avocado. Also, as an addition to any salad.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's been said but I love cutting it in half with a little bit of lime or lemon juice and throw it on the BBQ!
  • charl2712
    charl2712 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I love avacado. I either put it in sandwiches or on crispbread with smoked salmon or ham and it makes a yummy snack. Also do like to make guacamole and salsa.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I've got a vegan cookbook with an awesome key lime pie recipe in it. The filling is mostly avocados. I've had it, and it is delicious. Maybe I'll post the recipe later on, don't have the cookbook handy right now.
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    I've got a vegan cookbook with an awesome key lime pie recipe in it. The filling is mostly avocados. I've had it, and it is delicious. Maybe I'll post the recipe later on, don't have the cookbook handy right now.

Please do. Love key lime pie - I'd like to know how to make it with avocado.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Although high in Calories and to be enjoyed in moderation one of my favorite foods is Avocados.

I just tried avocados for the first time this year so any recipes would be awesome.

List your favorite way to use Avocado or your favorite recipe for them.

I just gotta say, your tagline should be on the "Top 10 List of Things That Sound Dirty, But Aren't". :bigsmile: :laugh:

That being said, I like to mash up about 1/4 of an avo and use it on a turkey or veggie sandwich in place of mayo. Also, love me some guac, and it's good diced up in a salad.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    slice it up, put some salt on it, eat it with chorizo and a corn/flour tortilla.

omnoms!
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I cut it, pull it apart and take out the seed. Then I squeeze lemon in the hole where the pit was, add a dash of salt and pepper on each half and eat with a spoon!
  • slimmergalpal
    slimmergalpal Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Dedicatediva
    Dedicatediva Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing to do with avocado is add in with my black bean burgers and also make a seven layer dip.