Others eat like crap and lose weight, WTF?!

Options
I'm am really frustrated right now. I always look at friends food diaries and notice a lot of them eat processed food, fast food, etc and are still dropping weight like crazy. I eat fairly clean most of the time and I'm struggling to get past my second plateau. I excercise/strength train 4-5 days a week and normally only have one cheat meal, not day, each week. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Replies

• recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    Everyone is different, each of our bodies react to things differently. I will say this, the eating garbage people, the weight, etc will catch up with them at some point, guaranteed. I know for me, I cannot eat crap and lose weight. If I was able to do that, I wouldn't have been fat to begin with!

Your body will thank you later for filling your body with healthy calories instead of crap. I too see people who eat their daily calorie allotment, but it's filled with junk, empty calories.

So, just keep on doing what works for you and eating healthy, in the end you will be better off!!!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    at least you've lost 32 lbs. Not bust your *kitten* for going on 4 months to lose 2. Be happy with what you've done so far.
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    body weight does not equal good health!

There are many folks who can eat a ton and "never gain weight" - however what is taking place on he inside is super destructive - high cholesterol, high BP. There is also a growing phenomenon in this country now known as "skinny-fat" - that is, a person's weight is perfect according to the scale, however their body fat % is off the charts unhealthy.

Eating tons of junk and being healthy is a myth - don't buy into it. Some may have the metabolism to burn the calories - yes, but they are not improving their health.

Eat healthy - focus on lifestyle changes and you will see the weight come off - I can attest to it!
  • my6kiddies
    Options
    I noticed that also. I watch my sodium, rarely eat bread, eat only whole grains, no processed food. And then I look at some of the recipes and meals people post on here and I'm blown away.

Now that I started weights and working out daily, I've slowed on weight loss. However I know the inches are coming off because none of my clothes fit!

I've decided that eating healthy is way better for my body in general than only weight loss.
  • gorewhore13
    gorewhore13 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I agree I'm am gratefull I've lost and I don't want to eat like crap but I'm kind of jealous. I'm one of those people who can take one bite of something fattening and gain weight, no joke. I vary of my excercise routines each week so I don't bored or use to anything. I feel sort of lost on what my next step is.
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    For some people the idea of calories in v. calories out is all that matters. Health and wellbeing and eating right do not factor into the equation. I'd rather be healthy and fit, than skinny and flabby and still "fat"...
  • Rambo313
    Rambo313 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have been at the same weight for 2 months now. I work out 6x a week. The scale hasnt moved but I am fitting into clothes I never could before..

I have friends who eat processed food as well and lose weight or don't gain anything, but if I did that it would be the opposite.

The way you are eating you are being healthy from the INSIDE-OUT, that to me is more important then dropping pounds. Only b/c the scale isn't moving doesn't mean you are not having success..do you have more endurance? can you pick up heavier weights? Can you get up a flight of steps faster then use to? Do you take your measurements?

Don't be frustrated, only because someone loses weight and is smaller then you doesn't necessarily mean they are healthier.

I rather be at my weight and be athletic and have good health all the way around then eat crap, lose weight and be unhealthy and have health problems down the road. Only because they are skinnier doesn't mean they have less body fat % then you either, people forget to take that into consideration as well.
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    I'm with you op... it kinda makes me wish I could lose weight while eating crap. But I know it doesn't work for me and it doesn't do my body good, to regularly eat crap anyway.

Maybe try switching up your veggies, protein, macros? Sounds like you are busting your tush. Some plateaus are practically inevitable, but it is true the closer you get to goal the harder it gets.
  • gorewhore13
    gorewhore13 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I think I'm focusing too much on society's ideal woman's body too. I'm want to be that hot chick in a bikini, it sounds superficial but it's honest. I'm am stronger and I have built my endurance up day after day. This whole weight loss journey can be really frustrating and discouraging at times. I feel better then I use to and I love to sweat and pant and be exhausted after a workout.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

no idea. your food diary is hidden.
  • deniselynn13
    deniselynn13 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

There are many folks who can eat a ton and "never gain weight" - however what is taking place on he inside is super destructive - high cholesterol, high BP. There is also a growing phenomenon in this country now known as "skinny-fat" - that is, a person's weight is perfect according to the scale, however their body fat % is off the charts unhealthy.

Eating tons of junk and being healthy is a myth - don't buy into it. Some may have the metabolism to burn the calories - yes, but they are not improving their health.

Eat healthy - focus on lifestyle changes and you will see the weight come off - I can attest to it!

EXACTLY!! Well said! =)

For my two cents now...

The people wo are eating the crappy food have one focus - losing weight/being skinny. They are obviously not concerned about their overall health and well being. You can be skinny and still have high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol etc.

Remember, you really are what you eat. Once i began eating clean, my body changed from the inside out. My skin glows and looks amazing, my hair grows like crazy and is thick and shiny, my nails grow like crazy and are hard, etc. I feel awake and alive and full of energy!!!!

Keep on eating clean and working out. You will succeed and be healthy doing it!
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    I eat like hammered s#!t and have lost 65lbs this year. I know if I ate better my loss would be more, but I like to eat and I am going to.
  • ellewoods37
    Options
    watch the documentary "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" and you will instantly feel better about your clean food choices. I personally wish I could eat cleaner, but as a law student I can only afford so much produce! So be proud of how far you have come, stick with it and you will go even farther!!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, each of our bodies react to things differently. I will say this, the eating garbage people, the weight, etc will catch up with them at some point, guaranteed. I know for me, I cannot eat crap and lose weight. If I was able to do that, I wouldn't have been fat to begin with!

Your body will thank you later for filling your body with healthy calories instead of crap. I too see people who eat their daily calorie allotment, but it's filled with junk, empty calories.

So, just keep on doing what works for you and eating healthy, in the end you will be better off!!!

Great reply. By the way, from looking at your picture, you have lost a lot of weight. Congratulations.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

This!!
  • ambitious01
    ambitious01 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    why are we worried about other folks again? You do understand that this is a numbers game? Now, if we measure health, we have a new thread.
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options

EXACTLY!! Well said! =)

For my two cents now...

The people wo are eating the crappy food have one focus - losing weight/being skinny. They are obviously not concerned about their overall health and well being. You can be skinny and still have high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol etc.

Remember, you really are what you eat. Once i began eating clean, my body changed from the inside out. My skin glows and looks amazing, my hair grows like crazy and is thick and shiny, my nails grow like crazy and are hard, etc. I feel awake and alive and full of energy!!!!

Keep on eating clean and working out. You will succeed and be healthy doing it!

THIS, THIS, THIS!!!
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    You are doing really well. Don't lose heart. You are changing your life for the better. People who don't make a change in their diet might lose the weight but they will gain it back again because as soon as they have lost it they revert right back to their 'normal'. You are making a change that will last and a change for the better. Be proud
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I'm am really frustrated right now. I always look at friends food diaries and notice a lot of them eat processed food, fast food, etc and are still dropping weight like crazy. I eat fairly clean most of the time and I'm struggling to get past my second plateau. I excercise/strength train 4-5 days a week and normally only have one cheat meal, not day, each week. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

What are their daily calorie allowances, how active are they and how much exercise do they do but mainly how close to their daily calorie allowance do they get?
  • Bethie_B
    Bethie_B Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, I eat well and have had very slow loss despite working hard. But there is an easy solution, and it's one I employ. Don't look at anyone else's diary. Eat what is good for you and works for you. Let everyone else do what works for them. Just know that you're doing right for yourself.