Others eat like crap and lose weight, WTF?!

Options

Replies

• weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I eat clean, too. if my twinkie falls on the floor, I'll definitely blow on it and brush it off. why would you not? that's just silly.

This made my day :laugh:
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    What isn't processed?

Ummm and Avocado. Ummm a pepper out of my garden. Ummm fesh meat at the local butcher - how do you define "processed"? So you define "processed" as a person picking an Avocado and shipping it to a market? Intriguing...

Avocado unless it's from your own tree?
    Freezing of avocados is being studied along with that of individually Quick Freezing (IQF) of other fruits and berries. Although earlier conventional methods of freezing by frigid air or plate methods have proved satisfactory for meats, vegetables, and fruits immersed in syrup, two problems are inherent in freezing individual sections of products such as avocados or other fruits that are to be eaten uncooked. One is the formation of large ice crystals in a slow freeze, and the other is discoloration upon thawing. The ice crystals result in a breakdown of texture, while the discoloration, besides its lack of esthetic appeal, is accompanied by off-flavors. Very rapid freezing results in smaller ice crystals and better retention of texture, but discoloration upon thawing still remains a problem.
    In recent years, rapid freezing by nitrogen, carbon dioxide, or freon has provided a means of texture retention. In our experiments we have used freon, a colorless liquid at low temperatures that boils at approximately -22°F. Its use has been approved by the Federal Food and Drug Administration. To improve color and flavor retention, we have dipped the fruits in an antioxidant solution of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and malic acid (a naturally occurring acid in fruits and vegetables) prior to freezing.

Yeah you are right - better go get a hot pocket and and a ciggy - would not wanna get sick off an ice crystal!
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I can't cheat either. You have to stop wishing you were someone else and fix what you can. I am not my sisters. They can eat deep fried food at every meal and not gain an ounce, I am pretty sure I could gain weight eating celery. You have to work harder than they do, so what. Odds are there are things about you that aren't fair too. I am smarter than my sisters and have no trouble learning new things but they have to work to learn. Its not fair but they have to spend more time and energy than I do on that. This is life. We take the hand we are dealt and we either stick to competing in the areas we have a natural advantage at or we choose to struggle through and succeed at being thin as well. Choose and move on.
  • gorewhore13
    gorewhore13 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I started in April and was juicing and not excercising as per Dr's orders, gall bladder being removed. I also opened up my diary so any pointers would be great. Please be gentle as I'm new to this clean eating/healthy lifestyle eating.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    What isn't processed?

Ummm and Avocado. Ummm a pepper out of my garden. Ummm fesh meat at the local butcher - how do you define "processed"? So you define "processed" as a person picking an Avocado and shipping it to a market? Intriguing...
    That's the definition of processing. The pepper from your garden isn't. Anything you get from a store is. It's picked, sorted, washed, packed, shipped, in some cases artificially ripened using greenhouses or other methods, or deep chilled to slow the ripening process in the case of long transport times. All of that is processing. And unless you slaughter and butcher the cow yourself, someone has to process it into cuts.

I think the term you are looking for is, "manufactured," not processed. And even then, does that make whey protein bad?
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    What isn't processed?

Freezing of avocados is being studied along with that of individually Quick Freezing (IQF) of other fruits and berries. Although earlier conventional methods of freezing by frigid air or plate methods have proved satisfactory for meats, vegetables, and fruits immersed in syrup, two problems are inherent in freezing individual sections of products such as avocados or other fruits that are to be eaten uncooked. One is the formation of large ice crystals in a slow freeze, and the other is discoloration upon thawing. The ice crystals result in a breakdown of texture, while the discoloration, besides its lack of esthetic appeal, is accompanied by off-flavors. Very rapid freezing results in smaller ice crystals and better retention of texture, but discoloration upon thawing still remains a problem.
    In recent years, rapid freezing by nitrogen, carbon dioxide, or freon has provided a means of texture retention. In our experiments we have used freon, a colorless liquid at low temperatures that boils at approximately -22°F. Its use has been approved by the Federal Food and Drug Administration. To improve color and flavor retention, we have dipped the fruits in an antioxidant solution of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and malic acid (a naturally occurring acid in fruits and vegetables) prior to freezing.

Yeah you are right - better go get a hot pocket and and a ciggy - would not wanna get sick off an ice crystal!

Freon is healthy? I'm not scared of it, you might be.
    What do chocolate, avocados, beer, and fish have in common? On any given day over the past few years, nutrition "experts" have named each of them as a panacea for cancer, high blood pressure, and a long list of other chronic conditions. And before you know it, these wonder foods find their way onto the food police hit list as the cause of all worldly woes. According to Scotland’s Daily Record, it’s enough to make your head (or scale) spin:

[T]he hundreds of food research reports published every year thrust the average shopper into a minefield of health warnings and advice on what is best to put in their trolley … Worryingly, this is just the tip of the iceberg, in which experts seem to take turns describing the same food as either good or bad for you.

With groups like the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI), the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, and People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals constantly spouting that entire categories of food are dangerous, it’s no wonder the many Americans have trouble keeping up with the food scare du jour. People should forget about "bad carbs" and high-fructose-whad’ya-call-it, because the best rule is the most basic: The dose makes the poison.

Leading nutrition experts at the American Dietetic Association (ADA) denounce the "good" food, "bad" food campaigns backed by pseudo-science. On the other hand, the ADA recommends that individuals focus on the amount, rather than the type of foods consumed.
  • ctooch99
    Options
    [/quote] "I'm interested in lifestyle changes that I'll keep up with, not some fad diet, aren't you? [/quote]

I am not judging you - just trying to understand what this means? Change generally implies going from one thing to another - or is my reading comprehension wrong on that?
  • HildeDanmark
    HildeDanmark Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I started in April and was juicing and not excercising as per Dr's orders, gall bladder being removed. I also opened up my diary so any pointers would be great. Please be gentle as I'm new to this clean eating/healthy lifestyle eating.

You've lost 32 pounds since April? That is fantastic!

Now I'm even more perplexed about this thread.
  • ctooch99
    Options
    What isn't processed?

Freon is healthy? I'm not scared of it, you might be.
    What do chocolate, avocados, beer, and fish have in common? On any given day over the past few years, nutrition "experts" have named each of them as a panacea for cancer, high blood pressure, and a long list of other chronic conditions. And before you know it, these wonder foods find their way onto the food police hit list as the cause of all worldly woes. According to Scotland’s Daily Record, it’s enough to make your head (or scale) spin:

[T]he hundreds of food research reports published every year thrust the average shopper into a minefield of health warnings and advice on what is best to put in their trolley … Worryingly, this is just the tip of the iceberg, in which experts seem to take turns describing the same food as either good or bad for you.

With groups like the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI), the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, and People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals constantly spouting that entire categories of food are dangerous, it’s no wonder the many Americans have trouble keeping up with the food scare du jour. People should forget about "bad carbs" and high-fructose-whad’ya-call-it, because the best rule is the most basic: The dose makes the poison.

Leading nutrition experts at the American Dietetic Association (ADA) denounce the "good" food, "bad" food campaigns backed by pseudo-science. On the other hand, the ADA recommends that individuals focus on the amount, rather than the type of foods consumed.

Source of the article?
  • HildeDanmark
    HildeDanmark Posts: 65 Member
    Options

I am not judging you - just trying to understand what this means? Change generally implies going from one thing to another - or is my reading comprehension wrong on that?

I give up. Exercising more and eating less calories IS A CHANGE. Is it staying the same?

I'm not replying to you anymore if you are just going to pick apart things that clearly you don't comprehend.
  • gorewhore13
    gorewhore13 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Well my expectations may be too high then but I'm new to this. I'm a recovering fat *kitten* who lied to herself about how bad I was actually eating. When I started juicing the weight would literally fall off every day, so coming off the juice and starting an excercise regimen has almost halted my weight loss.
  • ocukor1
    ocukor1 Posts: 66
    Options
    I technically started my weight loss journey 3 months ago and have only lost 6.4 lbs :cry: I walk on the trail every day and I portion and measure my food.

It is still a weight loss, if you're healthy and eating well balanced healthy food, you will get there eventually. Now walking can burn some nice calories, but maybe you should consider up the ante a little bit and do some jogging, get a good cardio going for 20-30 mins.
  • Silverkittycat
    Options
    Here's one, I have plenty that are more current but it gets much worse. Didn't want to freak you all out with the processing procedures. http://www.avocadosource.com/cas_yearbooks/cas_54_1970/cas_1970_pg_079-084.pdf
    Conventional wisdom isn’t always wise.

In a time when seemingly every kind of food or drink has something bad associated with it, you’d think at least water would escape unscathed. But one doctor reported in the British Medical Journal this July that advice to drink 8 glasses of water per day is “nonsense.” And drinking too much water could actually be harmful.

The lesson here isn’t that water is bad or that we shouldn’t drink it. Rather, it’s that the so-called experts on what we eat and drink can change their minds (and often do).

In the 1970s, eggs were considered unhealthy due to their cholesterol content. Since then, scientists figured out that dietary cholesterol isn’t the same thing as blood cholesterol, and the tables turned again: Eggs are now considered a health food.

Similarly, in the 1980s fat became the enemy and “low-fat” products spread like wildfire. Now that trend is starting to change as carbs are developing a stigma.

Despite how much money and expertise is poured into nutrition research, we should still be skeptical about jumping to conclusions about our food and health. Our understanding is always shifting, and it’s often muddled by activists with a dog in the fight.

Consider the case of high fructose corn syrup. People started to shun this corn sugar in favor of sugar from cane or beets after one hypothesis several years ago speculated that high fructose corn syrup might be especially fattening.

But once again, a nutritional about-face has occurred. Credible experts from the American Medical Association to the American Dietetic Association recognize table sugar and high fructose corn syrup are metabolized similarly by the body. And two authors of the original hypothesis later declared that sugar is sugar, whether it is made from beets, cane or corn.

These days, the newest party line is that we should reduce our intake of sodium. Sodium raises blood pressure, which in turn raises the risk of heart problems, or so the logic goes. Some “food police” activists want national salt control.

In reality, it appears that only 10 percent of the population is truly sensitive to sodium. Recently published research discovered that salt reduction in people diagnosed with heart disease is actually associated with a more than twofold higher risk of dying. Additionally, a 50 percent salt reduction was not associated with improved heart health in the general population.

And the conventional wisdom about fish consumption may soon change as well. According to a 2004 government advisory, pregnant women should eat at most two servings of fish a week due to the trace amount of mercury in seafood. Environmental and animal rights groups — concerned with preserving wild fish stocks — have latched onto this as a way to scare Americans away from eating fish.

But more than 100 experts signed an open letter last year asking the federal government to update its recommendations in light of newer research finding that the health benefits of eating fish far outweigh the hypothetical detriments. (There still hasn’t been a single case of mercury poisoning in the United States from commercially bought seafood.)

A 2007 Lancet study found “no evidence” for concern, and further discovered that of the 9,000 pregnant women studied, those who ate the most fish had kids with the highest IQs. (Japanese children eat plenty of tuna and seem to have little trouble with math.)

What else could lie on the food horizon? It’s hard to say. It may well turn out that saturated fat isn’t as bad as it’s made out to be.

Whatever the case, we should bet on “moderation” remaining the cornerstone of any diet. Anybody who tells you a food or ingredient is going to harm you generally has an agenda, and not your health, to promote.
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    Well my expectations may be too high then but I'm new to this. I'm a recovering fat *kitten* who lied to herself about how bad I was actually eating. When I started juicing the weight would literally fall off every day, so coming off the juice and starting an excercise regimen has almost halted my weight loss.

Going by your diary the answer it pretty simple. You aren't eating enough, your calorie totals for the days you have entered in food (assuming thats all you had) are way too low. Especially on exercise days.

You need to at least double if not triple how much you are eating. If you are strength training you need to eat a ton more protein too.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry so much about what everyone else is eating. You are fueling your body with healthy foods. They are doing damage to their bodies even if they are losing weight. I don't eat "clean" and we occasionally go out and we occasionally eat processed foods, but I eat a pretty healthy diet and workout very hard. My weight loss has slowed down quite a bit now that I am closer to goal, but I'm not letting it discourage me. You have lost a significant amount of weight in a few months. Be proud of what you've accomplished. Keep working hard and eating properly.

And yes I was far to lazy to read through the comments because... well there are a lot of comments. haha!
  • Silverkittycat
    Options
    The dose makes the poison. ;)
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Somebody said this quote in another forum post today, and it really resonates with what you're saying. He was responding to a person who was concerned they were losing weight too fast. He said:

"I know what's fast on the front end comes back with a little something extra on the tail end."

It may be frustrating to see others eat like crap and lose way more then you, but you are doing it the real way. When you figure out what's causing you to stall, and the weight begins to drop off again, you can rest assured knowing that your weight loss has a much higher chance of being permanent. Those who never changed their eating habits but just cut down to an unhealthy level...they will eventually stop "dieting" and gain it all back again.

There are so many of us here who are fighting the good fight with clean eating, cutting out processed junk food and literally working our butts off. Don't give up...we are living proof that it works!! Good luck to you!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Were you juicing exclusively? That would be part of the problem, extremely low cal, very little protein, it's a metabolic nightmare. Yes, you lose weight, but it's mostly water and lean mass, not much fat. Of course the weight loss stopped when you went back to eating normally, your body was traumatized from being starved of nutrition.
  • Silverkittycat
    Options
    There are so many of us here who are fighting the good fight with clean eating, cutting out processed junk food and literally working our butts off. Don't give up...we are living proof that it works!! Good luck to you!

Nice try, nice post, but are you really blaming processed food? Seriously? Calories don't matter?
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    body weight does not equal good health!

There are many folks who can eat a ton and "never gain weight" - however what is taking place on he inside is super destructive - high cholesterol, high BP. There is also a growing phenomenon in this country now known as "skinny-fat" - that is, a person's weight is perfect according to the scale, however their body fat % is off the charts unhealthy.

Eating tons of junk and being healthy is a myth - don't buy into it. Some may have the metabolism to burn the calories - yes, but they are not improving their health.

Eat healthy - focus on lifestyle changes and you will see the weight come off - I can attest to it!

Preach on brother!!

Oh, wait...I'm living proof of the opposite...nevermind.

Eat clean (if you can define that anyhow) if you like, don't if you don't. Is it better? Probably...but I've yet to see someone actually prove it. I like to myself...I simply can't afford it to be honest...so I end up eating about 20% 'clean', and the rest a mix of other things.

It's not been an issue for me, in the least. AND the last time I had a check up (which included blood work for medication unrelated to health), I scored 100% across the board :).

To the OP.

You said you're working out 5x a week. Depending on what you're doing...you could VERY easily be overdoing it, or eating too little for your activity level. I'm not talking about 'starvation mode' either. I'm talking about your body needing REST in order to do the things it needs to do. Drop it down to 3x a week, see what happens. Take a week or even two off exercise (adjust your intake accordingly), then start over with a fresh face and renewed eagerness.

I think you'll be surprised at the result.

Again, check your numbers to see if you're actually enough. I don't like MFP's system much myself...and use another system to generate my TDEE, then pull my deficit from there, giving me my target calories.

Good luck!