Others eat like crap and lose weight, WTF?!

Options

Replies

• ChcolateLady11
    Options
    Why is this bother you (and obviously many, many others) so much?

I have this conversation with my 6 year old at least once a day, and more often when school is session. The more you compare yourself to others, the more you hold yourself back. This is a great resource, but it's also the Internet. You don't know what people struggle with on a day to day basis. The only thing you know is what people tell you.

Weight loss is frustrating! This is what I do when I get frustrated with it. I STOP reading crap on the Internet (including other people's diaries), take a closer look at what I'm doing, and start making some changes. I remember when I hit a plateau. I just couldn't figure out why. Well, I bought a HRM and figured out that my old workout was pretty much useless. I was not pushing myself like I needed to. Voila, weight started coming off again. Other times, I've gotten lazy and wasn't tracking like I needed to.

Bashing others for their choices won't change anything.

Did I miss where she was Bashing?? or are you talking about someone else??
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I eat like hammered s#!t and have lost 65lbs this year. I know if I ate better my loss would be more, but I like to eat and I am going to.

What are your cholesterol numbers?

Why do you care? I will live my life the way I want to. If you don't like it, tough s&!t.

I don't - point is the OP has the impression that people who eat whatever they want without gaining weight are healthy - they generally aren't. You made the point that you "eat like hammered ****" and have lost 65 pounds which infers the same thing - so I am curious to know your cholesterol.

Now that I have explained my point as a gentlemen - pull up your skirt and stick your thumb back in your mouth, Nancy!

Ease off the PED's there Bud.. You got a bad case of Roid Rage going on.

"If you don't like it, tough s&!t" - Hmmm I have roid rage huh? ha - most people who are serious about their health know their HDL and LDL levels - just sayin...
    He never said he didn't know his cholesterol. Quite frankly, his personal blood work is none of your business.

Yes, but he invited the question by saying he - eats crappy and lost 65 pounds - implying he suffered no negative effects from his habits - which is the entire point of the ongoing discussion - it was a fair question and his response speaks for itself. :bigsmile:
  • fenrirGrey
    fenrirGrey Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Trust me, patience will pay off. Stick to eating clean because when you start seeing the results, you'll see you are the "fit-thin" and not the "weak-thin"
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Why do the comments on these types of threads always turn into "they're not healthy on the inside and stupid to eat crap" semi-bashing? :huh: Don't hate.

If someone can eat junk and lose weight, more power to them. Making blanket statements like their "insides are destructive/dying" (and drama queen much?) is ridiculous. And yep, I eat junk a lot and have lost and my doc loves my insides. :smile:

Exactly. I'm in excellent health, my "insides" are great and I eat plenty of "crap". Stop hating and worry about yourself.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I think if you've lost 32 lbs since MAY and you aren't happy with your weight loss.... your expectations are unrealistic. And I don't see how you can say you've had 2 plateaus?

Of course it's possible that you started before joining MFP and those 32 lbs are from before May... If not, I'm really confused.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • ctooch99
    Options
    Why do the comments on these types of threads always turn into "they're not healthy on the inside and stupid to eat crap" semi-bashing? :huh: Don't hate.

If someone can eat junk and lose weight, more power to them. Making blanket statements like their "insides are destructive/dying" (and drama queen much?) is ridiculous. And yep, I eat junk a lot and have lost and my doc loves my insides. :smile:

Exactly. I'm in excellent health, my "insides" are great and I eat plenty of "crap". Stop hating and worry about yourself.

Sorry but I don't agree and it is misinformation - no one is bashing anyone who eat's junk food occasionally - we all enjoy something decadent. The whole discussion focuses on the fact that the OP was frustrated that her friends eat nothing but junk food but still lose weight. Sorry, but debate me if you will this is not a healthy way to live, does not work for most people and for many people could be pretty dangerous to their health. I don't see how those are "blanket statements".

If you eat nothing but junk food and your doctor gives you gold stars - great for you and shame on him. it does not mean the OP should give up on eating healthy and trying to improve herself. Plus a news flash for ya - your ability to continue that way has a limited duration... Should we smoke too?
  • Silverkittycat
    Options

Sorry but I don't agree and it is misinformation - no one is bashing anyone who eat's junk food occasionally - we all enjoy something decadent. The whole discussion focuses on the fact that the OP was frustrated that her friends eat nothing but junk food but still lose weight. Sorry, but debate me if you will this is not a healthy way to live, does not work for most people and for many people could be pretty dangerous to their health. I don't see how those are "blanket statements".

If you eat nothing but junk food and your doctor gives you gold stars - great for you and shame on him. it does not mean the OP should give up on eating healthy and trying to improve herself. Plus a news flash for ya - your ability to continue that way has a limited duration... Should we smoke too?

Your definition of "junk" food is?
  • fitnessdoll16
    Options
    I have a friend who's underweight... She's so thin... And she eats a lot... On school days her lunch was a croissant with chocolate or with cheese and ham... Most of the times, she was still hungry so she would buy another one or at least bread with something in it or some cake or other unhealthy things... Two/three hours later, she's hungry again.. At least she doesn't eat McDonalds everyday like some people I know... But it's not healthy either.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    weight loss is about calories. you can eat 1200 calories of junk or 1200 calories of healthy food, and one might be better for you and make you feel good while the other won't, but both ways will result in weight loss. as for your plateau, there are a lot of factors that can go into that.
  • pixiechk201
    pixiechk201 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    So I used to be one of those super skinny people when I was younger- I lived on taco bell, pizza, candy bars... you name it, I ate it. A LOT of it. And people used to ask me if I was bulemic, which was a little insensitive, I did want to gain weight and some curves and was pretty insecure about it. But I was active and just had a naturally fast metabolism and my insides were fine. Eventually, a diet full of beer and pizza and getting sedentary caught up with me and I gained 30 lbs pretty much over night. Now if I sniff pizza I gain weight. Some people just sort of hit the genetic metabolism lottery and some don't. While I'm still thin, I have to workout every day and eat right to keep it off. I feel great and have learned to love veggies and a healthy lifestyle. I have more energy now than I did when I was living on fast food and while it would be nice to be able to attack a hot fudge sundae every once in awhile I no longer miss it!
  • ctooch99
    Options

I would define junk food as heavily processed (man made) items high in fat, sugar and calories and low in nutritional density. Items from the center aisles of the super market. Classic example - A Twinkie:

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-hostess-twinkies-i113361

How would you define it?
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options

No one asked you to agree, it was my opinion. Just like you have yours and I don't agree. Makes the world great huh? If it's not bashing in your world, it's jealously in mine. Either way it's a negative emotion spewing forth for no real reason. If someone wants a real opinion on someone's eating habits they'll ask that person directly and be like "WTF, how do you do that?"

The OP didn't say 'eat junk all the time' or 'only junk', she said 'noticed people eat junk in their diary' vs. her eating clean most of the time. Your wording and attitude is the exact example of dramatic overkill I mentioned. No one eats junk all the time, duh.

And as someone said...You don't have to eat lettuce grown under the sun reflected off a tropical rainbow to give your body an increased measure of health. True story.

And yea, you might need a smoke to calm down a bit. Sheeeeez.
  • tamtamzz
    tamtamzz Posts: 142
    Options
    Why is this bother you (and obviously many, many others) so much?

I have this conversation with my 6 year old at least once a day, and more often when school is session. The more you compare yourself to others, the more you hold yourself back. This is a great resource, but it's also the Internet. You don't know what people struggle with on a day to day basis. The only thing you know is what people tell you.

Weight loss is frustrating! This is what I do when I get frustrated with it. I STOP reading crap on the Internet (including other people's diaries), take a closer look at what I'm doing, and start making some changes. I remember when I hit a plateau. I just couldn't figure out why. Well, I bought a HRM and figured out that my old workout was pretty much useless. I was not pushing myself like I needed to. Voila, weight started coming off again. Other times, I've gotten lazy and wasn't tracking like I needed to.

Bashing others for their choices won't change anything.

Did I miss where she was Bashing?? or are you talking about someone else??

We simply have a difference of opinion. It happens. Good day now.
  • HildeDanmark
    HildeDanmark Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I drink a soda a day (that I'm trying to wean off of - thanks step dad for putting them in my lunch as a child). I have snack food from time to time. I'm a human. Today, I think I overate. Oh freaking well. My ex-in-laws are coming into town in 3 days to visit my DD, my dad is dying from Melanoma (oh a sunburn can kill), and I'm supposed to be moving to Scandinavia in less than 2 months and getting remarried. So, screw all the people who want to sit up there and judge what I eat and what I do. Get a freaking life.

If I just ate vegetables and fruits and unprocessed food and went on some sort of clean living diet, I'd be back to 2500 calories of Mountain Dew, chips, and chocolate in maybe a week?

I lost 19 pounds (and up and back down) in the last year. It is good solid weight loss from just cutting back the calories and exercising more. I'm interested in lifestyle changes that I'll keep up with, not some fad diet, aren't you?
  • ctooch99
    Options

No one asked you to agree, it was my opinion. Just like you have yours and I don't agree. Makes the world great huh? If it's not bashing in your world, it's jealously in mine. Either way it's a negative emotion spewing forth for no real reason. If someone wants a real opinion on someone's eating habits they'll ask that person directly and be like "WTF, how do you do that?"

The OP didn't say 'eat junk all the time' or 'only junk', she said 'noticed people eat junk in their diary' vs. her eating clean most of the time. Your wording and attitude is the exact example of dramatic overkill I mentioned. No one eats junk all the time, duh.

And as someone said...You don't have to eat lettuce grown under the sun reflected off a tropical rainbow to give your body an increased measure of health. True story.

And I'm the drama queen??? ha...
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options

And I'm the drama queen??? ha...

Oh definitely and I'll eat a Twinkie in your honor tonight 'roid boy. :tongue:
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat you are. I get frustrated with no losing and end up eating too much of stuff I said I would not eat.

To those who wonder why we care what others eat: It's not that I care; it's that we look at other diaries for ideas and examples and then see that others eat things or amounts of calories that we don't and still lose, and we wonder WHY we aren't losing like they are. It's true we are all different, but it doesn't seem fair that some can eat pizza and cake and Dr. Pepper etc etc etc and still lose and I'm eating lettuce and radishes and cucumbers and can't seem to lose anything. Yes, apparently, I'm doing something "different" so it's not working the same for me. Yes, apparently, my body doesnt' work the same way. Yes, apparently, I lose the motivation and binge. Yes....to all of those things........it just makes me jealous and sad that I work so hard and can't find success and others can. AND, yes, jealously is WRONG and I"m happy for those with success. I just wish it were me!!!! So, it's not that I "care" what others eat, I just want to eat it TOO and lose as much!!!! LOL

You said what I wish I had. Honest reply.in my opinion.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I eat clean, too. if my twinkie falls on the floor, I'll definitely blow on it and brush it off. why would you not? that's just silly.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    body weight does not equal good health!

There are many folks who can eat a ton and "never gain weight" - however what is taking place on he inside is super destructive - high cholesterol, high BP. There is also a growing phenomenon in this country now known as "skinny-fat" - that is, a person's weight is perfect according to the scale, however their body fat % is off the charts unhealthy.

Eating tons of junk and being healthy is a myth - don't buy into it. Some may have the metabolism to burn the calories - yes, but they are not improving their health.

Eat healthy - focus on lifestyle changes and you will see the weight come off - I can attest to it!

THIS!! ^^
  • Silverkittycat
    Options

I would define junk food as heavily processed (man made) items high in fat, sugar and calories and low in nutritional density. Items from the center aisles of the super market. Classic example - A Twinkie:

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-hostess-twinkies-i113361

How would you define it?

What isn't processed?
    I don't fear food! I don't eat Twinkies but I do enjoy plenty of foods high in fat, sugar and sodium. I'd rather get my micros in and then add whatever I'd like. Not sure that's even needed as I'm a big fan of genetic inheritance. Don't care if it's processed, if it tastes good I'm happy. I prefer to listen to my body, I trust it. If I want sugar, I eat it. If I want something salty, I eat it.