300 - 600 Calorie Daily Intake

Options
123457»

Replies

• Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    The OP is turning a religous fast where you do not eat/drink in the daytime but eat what you want at night into a eating disorder
  • nnapieralski
    nnapieralski Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    It's not a 24 hour fast. Celebrants can eat before sunrise and after sunset. No reason to stick to 300 to 600 calories. That's just plain silly. And dangerous.
  • yakerich
    yakerich Posts: 1
    Options
    If you take in less than 1200 calories per day your body thinks you are starving and then holds on to weight!
  • Perfectlycrooked
    Perfectlycrooked Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Trust me, don't do it...
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    The OP is turning a religous fast where you do not eat/drink in the daytime but eat what you want at night into a eating disorder

Looks like.

OP, if you are going to do this no one can stop you. At least please ensure you are being medically supervised by a physician.

Please consider that after doing a month of this you are going to screw up your metabolism and will end up gaining the weight back anyway. There is no reason you can't eat a healthy amount of food before sunrise and after sunset and still lose weight (a loss you will most likely keep)!
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    No. Simple as that. It's not healthy.
  • JanSmelly
    JanSmelly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Why would you limit yourself before sunrise and after sunset? IMO it sounds like a silly plan.

This is because during Ramadan the practice is to fast while the sun is up .... however, only consuming 600 calories between sunset and sunrise sounds dangerous and unhealthy.

BEFORE sunrise and AFTER sunset. Note I did not say while the sun is up.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    There's a name for this. Anorexia.
  • Perfectlycrooked
    Options
    LisaSmuts BLOCKED, I WONT BE CALLED NAMES AND PUT UP WITH RUDE COMMENTS .

Well, now...I'm sure LisaSmuts is just devastated over this event.:ohwell:

LOL:laugh:
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Skipping to the end, so please forgive me if I repeat others -- my experience with Ramadan has been that the fasting is only during the day. Why not eat more calories before dawn and after dusk? Two 275-calorie shakes just doesn't seem like enough if you're going to do the entire month. You can still significantly reduce your intake/indulgences for Ramadan, but meet your basic nutritional requirements. Just my two cents.
  • Perfectlycrooked
    Options
    There's a name for this. Anorexia.

Actually no. Anorexia is a mindset.
    Just eating low cals because it would be easier because she can only eat in the morning and night is not.
  • JanSmelly
    JanSmelly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Why would you limit yourself before sunrise and after sunset? IMO it sounds like a silly plan.

That's the ritual of Ramadan. her question was about the calories.

Sweet lawd there is no reason to limit her calories BEFORE sunrise and AFTER sunset.

ETA - I don't believe Ramadan says to eat 300-600 calories and deprive your body.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    OP - in one of your posts you said that you don't want to eat a 1200 calorie meal after sunset and then go to bed a few hours later. So why don't you eat a 600 calorie breakfast and a 600 calorie dinner? Same times you said you would do the shakes, but more calories.
  • ZOSOaholic
    Options
    My mom is currently doing 500 calories a day. She is withering away, in a very bad way. She's mostly losing muscle, I can tell by just looking at her. She's incredibly weak and tired all the time. She gets winded quickly. She's constantly starving. She seems to be in a bad mood most of the time. She complains of nausea at times. She's pretty much miserable, except ecstatic that she's losing weight.
    I understand and respect that you are doing this for religious reasons. If I were you, I would eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies paired with lean protein after sunset and fruits paired with carbohydrates before sunrise IN ADDITION to your smoothies. But again, that's just me.
    Good luck! Don't hurt yourself!
  • veerichie
    veerichie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Is it really that hard to consume more than 600 calories while the sun is down??? I don't know about the rest of you but I would have no problem consuming at least 800-1200 calories before and after sunset in any given day.

Try good fats, protein, and carbs to keep you energized.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    If you are observing Ramadan (Forgive my ignorance, I do not know the details) but your ultimate goal is to diet and lose weight, it seems the religious observance is in vain and thus serving no purpose. You're going to mess up your metabolism and lack energy. Any time my Church does any type of fast (usually a day long fast for a specific cause) they will issue fasting material to read over and always suggest if you have any questions, to consult your doctor before doing it. And this is for ONE day, not an entire month.

Couldn't have said it better.
  • mellabyte
    mellabyte Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I totally respect your beliefs.

I was raised roman catholic (lapsed catholic now -lol-) and my mom was _very_ adamant about strict practices. So during religious fasting days, if you were between the age of 16 (or 14, can't remember) and not elderly, fasting meant absolutely no snacks or extra beverages other than water and enough food from all your meals of the day combined to only equal the satiety of one full meal.

That aside, 300-600 is really, really low. I'm assuming you've done this before (not a first year observation), so it depends on how your body handles the fasting normally - before you started counting calories. You should try to keep to your net, if it's not against practice. Otherwise if you must, I'd think start more around the 800-1000 range.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    My mom is currently doing 500 calories a day. She is withering away, in a very bad way. She's mostly losing muscle, I can tell by just looking at her. She's incredibly weak and tired all the time. She gets winded quickly. She's constantly starving. She seems to be in a bad mood most of the time. She complains of nausea at times. She's pretty much miserable, except ecstatic that she's losing weight.
    I understand and respect that you are doing this for religious reasons. If I were you, I would eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies paired with lean protein after sunset and fruits paired with carbohydrates before sunrise IN ADDITION to your smoothies. But again, that's just me.
    Good luck! Don't hurt yourself!

This poster is also correct. I don't believe you will get required amount of protein from 2 shakes. You will be getting 30 g of protein max and your body needs at least 0.8-1 per pound of lean body mass. Your muscles will wither.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on whether you plan on fasting all day or just fasting during the traditional times.From my understanding of the custom, fasting is only required from dawn until dusk. Between dusk and the following dawn, you should eat. Ramadan doesn't seem to require that you starve yourself. 300-600 calories for an entire month will leave you very malnourished and weak. Multivitamins will have little effect of overcoming this. In my opinion, eating so little is ill advised and should only be done under strict medical conditions, such as a thyroid condition where a doctor prescribes such a low intake.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Try it. See what happens. And when youre miserable, tired and hungry at around day 2, go back to eating normal foods after sunrise and before sunset.
This discussion has been closed.