"No Mayo?" Why Americans Are Fat

Options

Replies

• wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    With whole foods, portion control is almost self correcting.

People are so afraid of fats, but try eating 2000 calories of fat, just try eating 1000 cals of fat. Not only will you get full quickly, you won't be hungry again for hours.

Portion control becomes an "science" when we eat carbs with no fiber i.e. potato chips and fruit juice.

Not to mention the depletion of all of the micronutrients. Its typically feast or famine in that arena with process foods. We've managed to create a food source with 200% of your daily requirement of one nutrient with 0% of everything else. So now people are having tons of weird cravings.

It takes a whole lot more to feel full on process foods, hence the ridiculous portion sizes that we've been eating since the 1980s.

What are you trying to argue here, buddy? That a diet shouldn't consist solely of processed foods? Is anyone even pushing that agenda? No.

If you're trying to tell us that the only way to lose weight would be to completely rid your diet of processed foods, then I'd tell you you're full of crap. That makes about as much sense as Paleo or telling me I need to become a fruitarian or something.

Did I say any of that?

No.

I'm saying that process foods do not provide you with the same nutrients as whole foods and are not as satiating.

You argue that that statement is "full of crap"?

Can you give an example of a process food that is satisfying, nutrient rich and doesn't increase the calories in mass?
    Steak. Are you cutting it yourself off of a cow you slaughtered? No? Then somebody processed it for you. Everything is processed. "Processed food" is the most meaningless, BS term ever created.

So you are getting caught up on the word 'process'?

Okay.

Removing nutrients from food chemically and essentially changing what the food is is completely different from slicing it into portions.

Do you not agree?
  • wewon
    Options

Processed is processed, and no. It's not really all that different. Baking something and slicing are both forms of processing. Unless you grow it yourself, slaughter it yourself, it's a processed food.

"Processed" has nothing to do with nutrition. Nutritional value is nutritional value, regardless of processing level. I mean, is whey protein nutritionally void? It's an extremely heavily processed food.

Process is processed? LOL!

Being caught up on the word process will win the Websters contest, but really not what this thread is about.

When you process something to the point of taking away fiber, minerals and vitamins (which isn't done when slicing a steak) you end up drinking 190 calories of apple juice with 35 grams of sugar versus eating a 70 cal apple with 15 grams of sugar with all of the macro nutrients in tact.

Is there any wonder why processed foods go hand in hand with the growing obesity?

Processed is processed.

But, like you said, 6 of one 2,304,303 of another.
  • wewon
    Options
    double
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    I personally think the word "processed" is thrown around way too much. Processed simply means prepared. The chicken you're eating...do you actually feed, kill, clean, and cut the chicken yourself? Probably not, therefore it is processed. Same thing with just about everything you eat. Just because something is "processed" does not make it void of nutrition. I think processing becomes bad when you take an otherwise healthy food and remove the nutrients from it. This is why I don't drink apple juice. Why would I want to drink a 150 calorie bottle of apple juice with an enormous amount of sugar added and depleted of most nutritional value when I can just eat an apple, only consume a fraction of the calories and sugar, feel satisfied, and get all the macro and micro nutrient benefits? That's where I think processing becomes bad.
  • wewon
    Options
    Can you give an example of a process food that is satisfying, nutrient rich and doesn't increase the calories in mass?

Cheese. Wine (not only "processed food", but one with health benefits). Yogurt/Greek yogurt. Peanut Butter (and other nut butters).

Actually they are all higher in calories (ounce for ounce) than they were in their natural state because of the removal of water.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I think the reason there are much lower instances of obesity in places like Italy and France in comparison to the US and UK is certainly due in some degree to a better relationship with food, or more specifically preparing food using fresh, high quality ingredients.

Actual cooking, rather than simply shoving something into a microwave, is respected and that shows in waistlines. It may not be as convenient, it may take a bit of thought but it results in far tastier and pleasurable food which is less calorific.

You want to be slim? Learn to cook.
  • wewon
    Options
    I personally think the word "processed" is thrown around way too much. Processed simply means prepared. The chicken you're eating...do you actually feed, kill, clean, and cut the chicken yourself? Probably not, therefore it is processed. Same thing with just about everything you eat. Just because something is "processed" does not make it void of nutrition.

True enough.

But for the sake of a productive discussion its kind of silly to hear the word process and start comparing a sliced piece of steak to vacuum packed biscuits in a can.

Most people aren't being pedantic when they use the word.
  • delaney056
    Options
    I personally think the word "processed" is thrown around way too much. Processed simply means prepared. The chicken you're eating...do you actually feed, kill, clean, and cut the chicken yourself? Probably not, therefore it is processed. Same thing with just about everything you eat. Just because something is "processed" does not make it void of nutrition.

True enough.

But for the sake of a productive discussion its kind of silly to hear the word process and start comparing a sliced piece of steak to vacuum packed biscuits in a can.

Most people aren't being pedantic when they use the word.

Exactly. Processing is not processing! You can process something by simply cutting it and not depleting nutritional value, or you can process something by removing/adding things to it.

Steak vs. chips. Two completely different types of processing.
  • wewon
    Options

You pitched steak against the pop tart

Now let's see you pitch a natural product - the potato, against my completely processed one, a highly nutritious protein bar

Bare in mind that the majority of potatoes end up being fried

How much sugar is in your "nutritious" protein bar?

How many calories/ounce?

Processed foods will throw the nutritional value out of whack, so you load up on calories and a very specific nutrient but are otherwise deficient.
  • wewon
    Options
    I mean, is whey protein nutritionally void? It's an extremely heavily processed food.

True and if you get protein from 4 oz of a whole source you get 30 grams of protein and various micro nutrients for about 160 cal -190 cal.

To get those same 30 grams of protein from Whey powder you get 150cal with none of the other micro nutrients. But you can make up the difference when your body gives a weird craving for chocolate or fries later that day for the very low price of 400-500 more calories.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

You pitched steak against the pop tart

Now let's see you pitch a natural product - the potato, against my completely processed one, a highly nutritious protein bar

Bare in mind that the majority of potatoes end up being fried

How much sugar is in your "nutritious" protein bar?

How many calories/ounce?

Processed foods will throw the nutritional value out of whack, so you load up on calories and a very specific nutrient but are otherwise deficient.

You're being very general. Do you honestly think that of all the thousands of protein bars, they have yet to come up with a nutritionally balanced bar?
  • KrystleKiri
    KrystleKiri Posts: 135
    Options
    Just like everything else, if you take it in moderation, it won't hurt you. I absolutely LOVE mayo. I am also American. I buy hellman's light mayo and use maybe 2 tablespoons a week. Americans are fat because of a good deal of reasons. Not just because we eat mayonnaise. The stereotype of lazy, fat, cheap Americans is really unfair. There's a lot of us who aren't like that at all, we work for what we have, and we get by.
  • wewon
    Options
    I personally think the word "processed" is thrown around way too much. Processed simply means prepared. The chicken you're eating...do you actually feed, kill, clean, and cut the chicken yourself? Probably not, therefore it is processed. Same thing with just about everything you eat. Just because something is "processed" does not make it void of nutrition. I think processing becomes bad when you take an otherwise healthy food and remove the nutrients from it. This is why I don't drink apple juice. Why would I want to drink a 150 calorie bottle of apple juice with an enormous amount of sugar added and depleted of most nutritional value when I can just eat an apple, only consume a fraction of the calories and sugar, feel satisfied, and get all the macro and micro nutrient benefits? That's where I think processing becomes bad.

Totally agree.

But according to some here that distilled apple should be okay so long as you don't go over in your daily calories. Just ignore the inevitable cravings for all of the foods that would supply you with those nutrients and add another 800 calories to your diet.
  • takechances
    Options
    There are overweight people in every country.
    Once, I would like to hear someone say "'..And this is why Germans/Brits/Italians/etc are fat."
    I understand that the US has a higher rate, but if you think about it, our states are the size of most European countries.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options

I don't think anyone would argue that a chicken is "processed" because they haven't hunted it themselves, but essentially other than being cleaned and gutted it hasn't essentially been meddled with. Nothing added and nothing taken away. That is not processed in my eyes.

Unlike low quality sausages that contain only 40% meat with the rest being grissle and god knows what else.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    If you were to hypothetically consume only mayonnaise and consumed over 6000 calories you wouldn't gain any fat at all. Mayo by itself doesnt make you fat carbohydrates do. Why? because of insulin. Mayo is pure fat and does not spike insulin at all. you are blaming something that does not make you fat carbs do. The problem with carbohydrates though is that they taste amazing.

*facepalm*

So if my maintenance is at 3000 and I eat 6000 in mayo then, by your reasoning, I won't gain weight? Other than the fact 6000 calories of mayo would make me puke.

And there you go, how many calories would you ACTUALLY consumed & digested then?
  • wewon
    Options
    You're being very general. Do you honestly think that of all the thousands of protein bars, they have yet to come up with a nutritionally balanced bar?

1) If they did, no American would eat it because it would be bland without a lot of added sugar

2) They would probably not call it a 'protein bar'.

But you're right, I'm speaking in generalizations and I'm sure that there is a process food that has the fiber, micro and macro nutrients, I just can't think of any.

Typically, the reasons that process foods are made is because they are more lucrative due to their longer shelf life, they can be more easily manipulated into various items (1 bag of corn chips versus 5 ears of corn to produce it) and/or they have enhanced sweetness (HFC).

None of that is for the purposes of good health.

The market demands certain things like higher protein or more vitamin C and the next process foods has that added in (and nothing more).
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    There are overweight people in every country.
    Once, I would like to hear someone say "'..And this is why Germans/Brits/Italians/etc are fat."
    I understand that the US has a higher rate, but if you think about it, our states are the size of most European countries.

What does the size of individual states v. European countries have to do with this?
  • delaney056
    Options

1) If they did, no American would eat it because it would be bland without a lot of added sugar

2) They would probably not call it a 'protein bar'.

But you're right, I'm speaking in generalizations and I'm sure that there is a process food that has the fiber, micro and macro nutrients, I just can't think of any.

Typically, the reasons that process foods are made is because they are more lucrative due to their longer shelf life, they can be more easily manipulated into various items (1 bag of corn chips versus 5 ears of corn to produce it) and they have enhanced sweetness (HFC).

None of that is for the purposes of good health.

The market demands certain things like higher protein or more vitamin C and the next process foods has that added in (and nothing more).

Exactly. Like when you see a product that is reduced-fat or fat free, there is almost always sugar and salt added to it to make it taste better.
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Every country has SOME bad eating habits. Don't fool youself. Did you know that many Canadians' condiment of choice for french fries is GRAVY?! They serve that option in most restaurants there that offer french fries. I had never heard such a thing before we started vacationing there once a year (from childhood on.)

we have that here in NJ. Disco fries. yuck

It's not a condiment of choice, canadians are more known for using vinegar (why, i have no idea). what you're refering to is a poutine: fries, gravy and curds of cheese, and some poutine places will have a bunch of other toppings on them too :tongue:

Personally I think it's more about cutting out the processed stuff. If you made fries with fresh potatoes, chances are it wouldn't be as bad as the frozen stuff. For a several weeks I didn't lose any weight at all, despite being on my feet 60hrs/week for work. but then for two weeks I ate nothing but leftovers from a big party we had (and all of it was my mom's cooking, mostly rice-based dishes since it was all perian food *drools*) and in those two weeks I immediately lost 4 pounds. It didn't matter that I was eating a bunch of carbs sloshed in deliciously oily sauces, what mattered was that it was REAL FOOD, and not the cold-cut sandwiches and granola bars I was having at work everyday. And I think the best part of that time was that those two weeks was the only time I was ever actually full. Aside from then, every time I had a bagel or some other kind of sandwich or cereal for breakfast, I ALWAYS would suddenly become starving 3 hours into work on the dot. But with real food, I was always content. It was a beautiful time, and I now eat leftovers for breakfast every chance I get!

Maybe it depends where in Canada you are from? Up here (Northern BC) We eat gravy with our fries. You can't even get vinegar unless you are at a seafood place having deep fried fish sticks. Gracy is offered at every restaurant if you order fries, and gererally I order it. Then I dip my fries into it.

Poutine is good too....so cheesy. Its brown gravy made from beef stock....not that white stuff I keep seeing on American food shows.

I've seen people put vinegar, ketchup and gravy on fries! Add some cheese cruds and I'm all in!