• raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I like mayo!! And that's all I really wanted to say :smile:

+1
  • Cristofori44
    Cristofori44 Posts: 201
    Options
    There are overweight people in every country.
    Once, I would like to hear someone say "'..And this is why Germans/Brits/Italians/etc are fat."
    I understand that the US has a higher rate, but if you think about it, our states are the size of most European countries.

Explain to me what the size of the geographical region or population size has to do with percentage proportion of those obese?

Only because the patches of land are bigger and the population is a larger figure (excuse the pun) that does not change the percentage rate.

The obesity stats are based on a percentage of the population, not the total numbers of obese people.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_obe-health-obesity

If the size of the country had anything to do with the rate, you would see China and Russia way up there.
  • Cristofori44
    Cristofori44 Posts: 201
    Options
    Thanks for all of your comments. Some are insightful; some are reminiscent of the perils of message boards/social media/the Internet:

Galileo-FB.jpg

Though my favorite is what would have happened if Twitter were around during the Gettysburg address:

"@lunkhead – I’m at Gettysburg Address w/ 67 others.
    @shorty – I hate tall people!"
    @zippy – How much is 4score +7years?
    @mauron – 150
    @bobballoobobballoo – 16. "
    http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2011/10/tweets-from-gettysburg.html

So, yes let's have more one-off comments and snarks from people who do not read the original post or subsequent discussion :)
  • KathrynDePolska
    Options
    If you type "if you cut out mayonnaise will you loose weight?" on google every response says absolutely. Replace mayo for mustard. Mayo may have benefits as some of you people are saying, but in the long run, if you just dont eat it, it will make a small difference in weight loss.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Cutting CALORIES will result in weight loss. Cutting mayo will only result in weight loss if you don't add an equal amount of calories from another source. If you cut 100 calories of mayo, and replace it with 100 calories of fruit, you won't lose any weight, even though you cut out mayo.

Again, it's calories that matter, not individual food items.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    but ... but ... I'm positive dr. oz said something about cutting mayo ...
  • KathrynDePolska
    Options
    True. But why waste calories on a little mayo when you could have a fruit cup and feel better about your self. Personally, when i eat heavy foods i feel like i had a bad day. Whatever works for you, works for you. Im just saying, for me, id rather not feel like im eating pure lard when i could eat fresh fruit and feel better about my weight loss.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Mayo = egg yolks and olive oil when I make it. 2 of the healthiest foods on the planet mixed together. Fruit cup can be a sugar overload. Everything has its place. And anything could be good or bad depending on context.

A fruit cup wouldn't make me "feel good about myself." I eat enough fruit during the day. Doesn't help me get my essential fatty acids in. Egg yolks and olive oil do.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    But why waste calories on a little mayo when you could have a fruit cup and feel better about your self.

well, if you like a little mayo, it isn't a waste. and there's no reason you should feel badly about yourself when it comes to eating various foods.
  • KathrynDePolska
    Options
    To me, mayo is fatty and heavy. Thats MY opinion. I don;t like the taste or the texture or how it makes me feel when i eat it. I would rather eat a cup of fresh fruit, didnt mean fruit cup since most have the syrup in it. And honestly, it really does make a difference cutting mayo. It may be just about the calories to some people, but a lot of people, doctors, fitness and health experts, will tell you cutting it may not make a huge difference, but its a good thing to do for your health. To each their own.
  • KathrynDePolska
    Options
    JUST PUTTING THIS OUT THERE. If you do your research, you would be surprised. Just like this statement says, there are other options. Not all mayo is completely bad, make your own, fat free or sugar free...it just depends.

Mayonnaise can contain many calories, much more than other condiments, because it is high in sugar and fat. Mayonnaise is one of those ingredients you should leave off of your sandwich if you are trying to cut back on your calorie intake and lose weight.

In one tablespoon of mayonnaise there can be as much as 75 calories. Most people do not use only one tablespoon of mayonnaise on their sandwich, but rather use two or three tablespoons. This is also true of salads and pastas. Many recipes call for one cup of mayonnaise, or as much as six tablespoons in a macaroni salad. This means that you may consume an additional 200 calories just in mayonnaise alone.

Real mayonnaise found on the grocery store shelves offers nearly 100 calories per serving size of one tablespoon. If you use mayonnaise on a sandwich, you may consume 200-300 calories if you use a lot of the creamy condiment. Mayonnaise is considered to be one of the highest calorie condiments because of its oil and fat ingredients. Mustard is a much better choice when it comes to reducing calories in sandwich spreads.

Sugar free and fat free alternatives are available among mayonnaise varieties. It is important to read the labels on the back of the jar if you are trying to reduce your calorie content. Cutting serving sizes can also help.
  • kirstenmaria
    kirstenmaria Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    2 cents: When I lived in Argentina I unwittingly lost 10 lbs. eating fresh bread and other delicious things that seemed like they should be a bajillion calories each, like alfajores, empanadas, milanesas, dulce de leche, and ice cream. In my host mother's infinite wisdom she explained that it's because in the US we eat food with too many preservatives, therefore preserving the fat on our bodies. I don't put a lot of stock in this statement, but it is a fun little explanation. Yes, I'm overweight, because I chose to eat large portions of foods that contain too many preservatives.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Exactly what am I supposed to be surprised about in that post? Mayo is relatively high calorie? So is an avocado.
  • KathrynDePolska
    Options
    Yes, it is high in calories. And people can over eat while using mayo because its not portioned. There are fat free options that people dont use. Mayo is fine for some people when proportioned. That is all. Everyone has there own mindset and won't listen to other peoples opinions. That's fine. Eat what you want, just saying theres better ways to spend your calories eating things that will fill you up. Just saying, most people say if you cut mayo, it makes a difference. But some say they eat it and still loose weight. If it works for you, great. You'll loose the weight and thats that. Good luck to all.
  • tigersword
    Options
    I generally don't listen to "most people." I listen to actual science.

And portion control is a whole different argument than "mayo is bad." Eating too much of anything is bad.
  • Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I think the value of a calorie should be based on how many micronutrients you can get with them.

And it's better to go without mayonnaise when ordering at a deli because they always stick a trowel in and drown the bread in it. Disgusting amounts of sauce even if I wasn't thinking about calories. Pure mank. At home, different story cos you put on the portion you think is right for you.
  • KathrynDePolska
    Options
    Really...Just go eat what you want. These forums are for opinions, not arguments. If you miss the point, you miss the point thats fine. Good luck, that's all.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    I generally don't listen to "most people." I listen to actual science.

And portion control is a whole different argument than "mayo is bad." Eating too much of anything is bad.

nuh-uh! what about water?!

oh. wait.
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I ask for extra mayo when I order at the deli. I like mayo. How often do I order at the deli...not often enough to care, but what I can't stand is a dry sandwich. And mustard is not an appropriate taste substitute for someone who likes the taste of mayo. There are worse things in life.

The mayo I use at home has 40 cals per Tbsp, 4g fat, no saturated fat, no cholesterol and a negligible amount of sugar (<1%). And 1 Tbsp is plenty for me when I'm making a sandwich.

I'm a southern girl and I'm insulted if someone puts mustard in my potato salad instead of mayo.

Twinkies, cupcakes, Krispy Kreme, too much eating out to excess and lack of exercise and sleep are why I'm fat. Not mayo.