"No Mayo?" Why Americans Are Fat

Options

Replies

• lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Hellman's Mayo made with olive oil is only 40 cals per tbsp with 6 g of fat and has a really nice creamy olive oil taste. I like it better than the light.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I've never seen a difference between the calories in whole wheat bread and white bread. A quick comparasion on here of the same brand shows no difference.

^^ This. There may be advantages to whole wheat bread, but calories and fat are not one of them. Often whole wheat breads will have more fat and calories--both from the wheat itself (which is a small amount), and from the fat and sugar that are often added to whole wheat breads to make them more palatable to many people (e.g. honey wheat bread).
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    Hmm, I've never seen a difference between the calories in whole wheat bread and white bread. A quick comparasion on here of the same brand shows no difference.

For me, a good mayo adds flavor. I love mayo. i would rather forego cheese over mayo. I guess it boils down to your taste.

I dont really do soda.

PS - not American.
    Wheat bread actually has some nutritional value where white bread has none.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    What is it about the American lifestyle and way of eating that make it No. 1 in obesity stats?

two words for ya: industrial revolution.

Uhh... Yeah, because the U.S. is the only country to have gone through an industrial revolution, huh? Besides, the obesity problem really came after the U.S. de-industrialized, not during its industrialization. I have no idea where you were going with that point.

pretty clear, isn't it? as the country became more industrialized -- meaning less physical labor required to complete jobs -- it also became more sedentary. and, obviously, the U.S. isn't the only industrialized nation. look at the most obese countries. they are those that are most reliant on technology. that's why there is an increase in obesity in the developing countries. they are now seeing the effects of an inactive lifestyle combined with calorie-dense diets.

the U.S. used to be something like 90 percent farmers. it's down to, what, 2 percent now? where did those 88 percent go? desk jobs. how do they get to those desk jobs? cars. what do they do when they get home from those desk jobs? watch TV.

(and those farmers and ranchers -- the group that used to be the majority -- they have to eat way more than any of us do in order to simply maintain weight. 3,000 calories plus a day. because they are actively burning that off. so the problem comes in when we all eat like we're still farmers or ranchers instead of sedentary office workers.)

the biggest reason for obesity isn't what people are eating. it is how little they are moving. we used to have to move in order to survive. that isn't the case now.
    \

:huh: are you kidding? Where is the smiley banging its head into the wall when you need it? ... I actually stopped following the thread after that

......... Somebody missed a couple of history classes. People did not take on desk jobs during the IR in mass numbers. They went into factories (hard, dangerous, manual labor). Most of the population would have been small and malnourished because they didn't earn enough money to eat properly and worked long hours. Desk jobs did not start showing up in mass effect until way AFTER the IR. And that would also imply that the farmers did the labor themselves before the IR …. They didn’t because, you know, a little thing called slavery and indentured servants (who were not considered citizens and would not be called “Americans”). There were always fat people who had sedentary lifestyles because they could afford to have others do their work
    I see where you are going with this but really just not quite right. Even IF this was right and desk jobs made Americans fat, what about all the other industrialized nations who progressed into the tertiary form of employment (desk jobs)? America is not the only country who has an office based style of work force.

Just soooooo much in this thread is just .... SMH

Well, I have a minor in history, actually. How bout you?

I didn't say it was an instant change. Boom. Industrial revolution, fat society. That is where it started. And as society got more modernized, more modernized, with more and more urbanization, people steadily got taller and fatter.

And if you read the entire post, you would see that I pointed out that other nations on the same track have the same weight issues.

There have been numerous academic papers written on this topic. Look up a few.
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    A tablespoon of Mayo on your sammich will not make you fat .. and to many it taste's great and helps flavor up a meal/item. As with everything else it's when you overdo it that it gets you. Drinking too much wine and eating too much pasta will also make you fat.

high horse much?
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Mayo is very popular in Europe and Japan.

Europeans don't eat their fries with ketchup, it is with mayo.

The Japanese slather it on pancakes (okonomiaki) and dough balls (tako yaki).

In moderation. Mayo is no big deal.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

For me, a good mayo adds flavor. I love mayo. i would rather forego cheese over mayo. I guess it boils down to your taste.

I dont really do soda.

PS - not American.
    Wheat bread actually has some nutritional value where white bread has none.
    Except the phytonutrients in the wheat bread prevent the body from absorbing nutrients in the wheat bread, compared to white bread. Same story with brown vs white rice. It's not just a matter of raw nutritional content. If one food has 100mg of Vitamin B, but your body can only absorb 40mg of it, and another food has 60mg of Vitamin B, but your body can absorb 50mg from it, guess which one is actually better for you?
  • tigersword
    Options
    What is it about the American lifestyle and way of eating that make it No. 1 in obesity stats?

two words for ya: industrial revolution.

Uhh... Yeah, because the U.S. is the only country to have gone through an industrial revolution, huh? Besides, the obesity problem really came after the U.S. de-industrialized, not during its industrialization. I have no idea where you were going with that point.

pretty clear, isn't it? as the country became more industrialized -- meaning less physical labor required to complete jobs -- it also became more sedentary. and, obviously, the U.S. isn't the only industrialized nation. look at the most obese countries. they are those that are most reliant on technology. that's why there is an increase in obesity in the developing countries. they are now seeing the effects of an inactive lifestyle combined with calorie-dense diets.

the U.S. used to be something like 90 percent farmers. it's down to, what, 2 percent now? where did those 88 percent go? desk jobs. how do they get to those desk jobs? cars. what do they do when they get home from those desk jobs? watch TV.

(and those farmers and ranchers -- the group that used to be the majority -- they have to eat way more than any of us do in order to simply maintain weight. 3,000 calories plus a day. because they are actively burning that off. so the problem comes in when we all eat like we're still farmers or ranchers instead of sedentary office workers.)

the biggest reason for obesity isn't what people are eating. it is how little they are moving. we used to have to move in order to survive. that isn't the case now.
    \

:huh: are you kidding? Where is the smiley banging its head into the wall when you need it? ... I actually stopped following the thread after that

......... Somebody missed a couple of history classes. People did not take on desk jobs during the IR in mass numbers. They went into factories (hard, dangerous, manual labor). Most of the population would have been small and malnourished because they didn't earn enough money to eat properly and worked long hours. Desk jobs did not start showing up in mass effect until way AFTER the IR. And that would also imply that the farmers did the labor themselves before the IR …. They didn’t because, you know, a little thing called slavery and indentured servants (who were not considered citizens and would not be called “Americans”). There were always fat people who had sedentary lifestyles because they could afford to have others do their work
    I see where you are going with this but really just not quite right. Even IF this was right and desk jobs made Americans fat, what about all the other industrialized nations who progressed into the tertiary form of employment (desk jobs)? America is not the only country who has an office based style of work force.

Just soooooo much in this thread is just .... SMH

Well, I have a minor in history, actually. How bout you?

I didn't say it was an instant change. Boom. Industrial revolution, fat society. That is where it started. And as society got more modernized, more modernized, with more and more urbanization, people steadily got taller and fatter.

And if you read the entire post, you would see that I pointed out that other nations on the same track have the same weight issues.

There have been numerous academic papers written on this topic. Look up a few.
    One small correction. We really haven't grown much taller over the last 100 years. Americans have fallen from 1st in height in the late 1700's, to I believe 9th in the world in height now. :drinker:
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    It blows my mind how many people focused on the mayo anecdote. It was a real life example to show the choices that we make on a daily basis and how they affect our health. And I say "we" even though I am Canadian because the OP can't really talk about countries he hasn't seen. This happens in Canada too. Whether it's a dietary restriction (no wheaty croutons on Caesar Salad is blasphemous) or health-related (such as the OP's mayo example), people look confused at health-conscious choices.

It is our predisposition to fattening choices that the OP seems to be commenting on. Maybe simplifying it will help people stop attacking each other over technicalities.

Oh, and thanks to everyone speaking logically with scientific fact to back them up. :flowerforyou:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Some of you are taking what im saying too literally. Im just trying to say, since we are all trying to loose weight, i thought it would be wise to say... if you make a 200 calorie sandwich and you put 50 calories of mayo on it, mayo isnt really a food that fills you up. You could have some kind of fruit or veggie that is 50 calories instead of the mayo and it will fill you up because it is food.

Mayonnaise is eggs and a healthy oil. It is food. And it would fill me up better than a piece of fruit because fat is more satiating than a piece of fruit, in general.
  • KathrynDePolska
    Options
    There is nothing you just said i dont agree with. Fat is not bad. Calories are not bad. Nothing is really bad, its the proportion size im talking about!!! Why is that not being understood. Pizza isnt bad, if you have one slice...Burgers arent bad, if you have one. THATS ALL IM SAYING!! Just like mayo, you could have a turkey burger instead of a regular burger, it makes a slight difference. Mayo, proportion it and its fine, just like every food. Proportion, proportion, proportion.
  • tigersword
    Options
    It blows my mind how many people focused on the mayo anecdote. It was a real life example to show the choices that we make on a daily basis and how they affect our health. And I say "we" even though I am Canadian because the OP can't really talk about countries he hasn't seen. This happens in Canada too. Whether it's a dietary restriction (no wheaty croutons on Caesar Salad is blasphemous) or health-related (such as the OP's mayo example), people look confused at health-conscious choices.

It is our predisposition to fattening choices that the OP seems to be commenting on. Maybe simplifying it will help people stop attacking each other over technicalities.

Oh, and thanks to everyone speaking logically with scientific fact to back them up. :flowerforyou:
    The counterpoint is that it has nothing to do with an individual food, just the portion size. No food, on it's own, is inherently "fattening." Eating a cheeseburger once a week and fitting it into your macros and calorie goals isn't "fattening," or unhealthy. Eating nothing but cheeseburgers all day, everyday, well over your calorie goal and disregarding macros, is fattening and unhealthy. The problem in that case isn't the cheeseburger, it's the overall diet and portion size.

Basically, stop blaming food. People aren't overweight because of a food making them fat, people are overweight from eating altogether too much food, and not being active enough to burn it off.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    If you were to hypothetically consume only mayonnaise and consumed over 6000 calories you wouldn't gain any fat at all. Mayo by itself doesnt make you fat carbohydrates do. Why? because of insulin. Mayo is pure fat and does not spike insulin at all. you are blaming something that does not make you fat carbs do. The problem with carbohydrates though is that they taste amazing.

Wow, the most insightful post Ive ever read! :huh: :laugh:

I do tend to agree with you though OP, I don't think too many would disagree. Sometimes we over complicate things, when just eating 'better' foods a little more often would make such a difference to most people.

Go read the post about how if you eat all your calories at one time you won't gain weight vs. getting fat if you spread them out during the day.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    There is nothing you just said i dont agree with. Fat is not bad. Calories are not bad. Nothing is really bad, its the proportion size im talking about!!! Why is that not being understood.

Because you have yet to actually SAY that until this post. You keep saying we should cut things out, not that we should consider portion size.

Go back and read what you actually wrote.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    If you were to hypothetically consume only mayonnaise and consumed over 6000 calories you wouldn't gain any fat at all. Mayo by itself doesnt make you fat carbohydrates do. Why? because of insulin. Mayo is pure fat and does not spike insulin at all. you are blaming something that does not make you fat carbs do. The problem with carbohydrates though is that they taste amazing.

AAAAAA-hahahahahaha!!!!!! That's some funny flocking snit right there.
  • KathrynDePolska
    Options
    There is nothing you just said i dont agree with. Fat is not bad. Calories are not bad. Nothing is really bad, its the proportion size im talking about!!! Why is that not being understood.

Because you have yet to actually SAY that until this post. You keep saying we should cut things out, not that we should consider portion size.

Go back and read what you actually wrote.

PARTS OF MY PREVIOUS POSTS

" If mayonnaise is not something you want to get rid of, look for healthy alternatives, such as mayonnaise made with olive oil or LIGHTER VARIATIONS of the condiment."

"Yes, it is high in calories. And people can over eat while using mayo because its not portioned."

"Mayo is fine for some people when proportioned. That is all."

"In one tablespoon of mayonnaise there can be as much as 75 calories. Most people DO NOT USE only one tablespoon of mayonnaise on their sandwich, but rather use two or three tablespoons."

"Mayonnaise is considered to be one of the highest calorie condiments because of its oil and fat ingredients. Mustard is a much better choice when it comes to REDUCING calories in sandwich spreads. "

Not sure when i wasnt talking about proportions. I did say if you cut it, it makes a difference. But i wouldnt really know that since i dont like or eat mayo so i am a little biased about it because i dont know first hand. The info i got from this was from websites and magazines from health experts saying its better to cut mayo. If you have a problem with it, talk to the experts, not me. i was just relaying info i saw. If thats not true, then its not true...leave it alone. i was just saying, this is what i saw, this is what i read.
  • karen_thinmint
    karen_thinmint Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I've hated mayo my entire life. I still ended up chubby - so I don't think it's the mayo.

But I can completely sympathize with the deli counter people looking at you like you have 5 heads.

No mayo? Nope.
    No mustard? No thank you.
    No nothing? That's good.
    You like your sandwich dry? Well, I don't want it wet.

I tend to end up with double lettuce, somehow they think this makes up for it I guess.

There are a lot of additives that are common in America (as well as many other countries) that tend to make the diets higher in calories. Portion size is probably the biggest issue IMO. We have a lot of food available (healthy and not), and we expect a bang for our buck. The bigger the portions, the bigger the calorie intake no matter what you consume.
  • ebarney3
    ebarney3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I totally agree mayo is super fatty. My questions is why do Europeans load their french fries with it and are still skinnier and healthier than Americans. I spent some time in Europe and all my friends their literally bought french fries on the street with mayo everyday for a snack. How is this fair.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I totally agree mayo is super fatty. My questions is why do Europeans load their french fries with it and are still skinnier and healthier than Americans. I spent some time in Europe and all my friends their literally bought french fries on the street with mayo everyday for a snack. How is this fair.

Europeans are usually more active and they pay more attention to what they are eating, when they are eating it. Overall portion sizes are lower, too.
  • KathrynDePolska
    Options

I, too, would love the answer to this ha.