Family is trying to sabotage my 'diet'

Options

Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Misery loves company. People who don't have the will power to control their own diets like to take down others with them.

Maybe true in some cases but I doubt her mother did that for this purpose...
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Am surprised to see so many "suck it up" type responses. I'm with you; it's frustrating when your family & friends -- the people that are supposed o be the most supportive -- ignore your wishes and specific requests. It's not like you're asking them to change their diet or not eat certain things around you. You're not crazy, you're not selfish, and you're not being unreasonable.

I agree. Youre not asking them to change their diet but folks feel bad. Start looking at the way they eat.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I'm just pooped.

I read that as, "I just pooped."

D:

I was very uncomfortable for a moment.

Thats too funny! :laugh:
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    LOL OK I ate my 2 fig newtons and I'm still under!!!!!

I'm not going to go for a year without eating any cookies like I did last time I was on a diet. I want to be sustainable.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    The only person that can sabotage your diet is you. That's like saying "I went to the grocery store today and they had big bags of M&Ms on sale. Don't they know I love M&Ms but they tempt me with them anyway."
    The difference is that the M&Ms can't jump in the cart without your cooperation, and they don't follow you home and repeatedly shove themselves into your face saying "oh, just have one, what could it hurt?" like her mom is doing.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    The whole world does not revolve around you and your diet.
    Buck up!
    Either control yourself around other people at dinner, or cancel all such events.
    That is what I did except on my "free day".
    I can't control myself. PERIOD!
    And that means I no longer do family dinners or parties or anything except that one special day in the week where I can join the food orgy.
    Do what you think is best, but again, don't snivel over people who are just being who they are.
    Good Luck :flowerforyou:

There is a difference between going to someone else's home and dealing with what is served there and having people bring things into your home. You have every right to say, please take that back to the car. You have every right to ask people to respect you and what you are trying to do IN YOUR OWN HOME.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    The only person that can sabotage your diet is you. That's like saying "I went to the grocery store today and they had big bags of M&Ms on sale. Don't they know I love M&Ms but they tempt me with them anyway."
    The difference is that the M&Ms can't jump in the cart without your cooperation, and they don't follow you home and repeatedly shove themselves into your face saying "oh, just have one, what could it hurt?" like her mom is doing.

I know "THEY (M&Ms) DO EXIST". LOL
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I'm just pooped.

I read that as, "I just pooped."

D:

I was very uncomfortable for a moment.

bahaha me to!!!
  • kathym42
    kathym42 Posts: 26
    Options
    Buck up!
    Either control yourself around other people at dinner, or cancel all such events.
    And that means I no longer do family dinners or parties or anything except that one special day in the week where I can join the food orgy.
    Do what you think is best, but again, don't snivel over people who are just being who they are.

Wow kinda harsh huh? Her mother brought them into her house after she told her she was trying to lose weight. I think it'd be different if she went to her mother's and the stuff was there. But in her own home she should not have to buck up!
  • jazzedorange
    jazzedorange Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My husband said the words, "I want a Twinkie right now" last night. I really hate him for that. It ruined the rest of my night! Good thing we haven't had Twinkies in the pantry since around 2007. lol!
  • sarahbethfit233
    Options
    My mom does the same thing when she comes over! Then again, she also regards my getting fit as an obsession. I tell her it's more of a hobby. You scrapbook, I lose weight.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options

That's just too harsh.

lol, for real right? My mom raised me alone, but i'm gonna just cut her off from my life because she subconsciously wants me to stay fat lolol
  • AnitaVolpato
    AnitaVolpato Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My husband and son are rail thin and they are always bringing sweet's and chocolate to me. They just forget that I am dieting. They aren't trying to be mean, they really do forget sometimes. I let my kids eat sweet's and drink kool aid when they were younger as long as they ate their dinner. They don't have a weight problem they are 15 and 18 now they are thin... Hey, I ate the same thing's when I was a kid and I didn't get fat till I turned 34.... pretty good run I think.. LOL I think it's ok for your kids to have a little bit of junk food you know? That is one of the great things about being a kid.... :) MY OPINION of course...
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    LOL OK I ate my 2 fig newtons and I'm still under!!!!!

I'm not going to go for a year without eating any cookies like I did last time I was on a diet. I want to be sustainable.

This is the best way to lose weight and then maintain. OP you could try and save up some calories when your mother is coming over so you can partake in some of her offerings. Some folks though need to go cold turkey as feel like eating something junky reactivates cravings and they go hog wild. This happens to me but long term need to deal with it because you can't eat clean all your life.
  • Love2HikeMT
    Options
    I would laugh and accept the big bowl of cookies and cake and tell mom, "Hey thanks so much, but I've eating healthy these days. "But, I'll donate your cookies and cake to the local food share ~ I'm sure they will enjoy them." I doubt she'll keep baking such treats. Your mother must be insecure herself. Why else would she want her on daughter to be unhealthy and insecure...???
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and it never fails that my mom brings and offers me meat during each of her weekly visits. I've had years to try out every kind of reminder and rejection I could think of. I've shouted, screamed, sounded patient, thankful, used logic, etc. She still does it. Maybe it's mom-brain. They have an overwhelming desire to comfort you and it overrides there common sense or something. I sometimes smother my son in kisses and am deaf to his initial screams to stop.

This^^

moms and grandmas all do it...
  • starringmelissa
    Options
    actually i've had to deal with this issue but with my boyfriend. for example, last night we went to his game and at the game, there was this pizza from a local pizza place. After every bite, he emitted literal moans of enjoyment and kept asking "why don't you want some" or saying "mm this is the best pizza i've ever had". I'm pretty patient, but halfway through the second drippy slice i finally said, "are you trying to make this harder for me? I clearly ate dinner before we left because I didn't want to eat pizza and we even had a conversation about this."

i'm not sure what drove him to behave this way, i'm pretty sure it was unconcious overenjoyment of pizza. BUT, it still irked me.

In retrospect, maybe he was encouraging me to eat the pizza because he knows it is literally my favorite food and wanted to share the experience of this "divine" pizza with me. On the other hand, why can't he just get i don't want the freakin pizza?!?!?!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Buck up!

Wow kinda harsh huh? Her mother brought them into her house after she told her she was trying to lose weight. I think it'd be different if she went to her mother's and the stuff was there. But in her own home she should not have to buck up!
    Then STOP INVITING MOM OVER!
    Am I the only person living a simple life?
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    This is what I mean.. I've said it before, this is why I don't generally tell family I'm TRYING to lose weight. My mom comes over for dinner tonight. She brings a big bowl of cookies and a cake. It's like what the heck? She knows I don't want that junk, she knows it's hard to say no to chocolate chip cookies, but still. You'd think she'd want to help, or support me... Bleh

and NO I didn't have any!! :laugh:

Anyone else go through this too? It's driving me bonkers.

I would have had one. or two. with milk to dunk it in. the cookies. cake dunked in milk doesn't work.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options

I know "THEY (M&Ms) DO EXIST". LOL
    I love those commercials. :)