Random Compliments... Love them or think they are creepy?

Options

Replies

• jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I don't find out of the blue compliments odd or creepy. I think society in many countries has moved to this unfortunate awkward point where people are hesitant to give and weird about recieving a casual compliment about their appearance. People immediately assume that person wants to to screw or something. I guess this gets me in trouble sometimes, I don't think it's odd to compliment someone as handsome or beautiful in a casual manner but I can see how it may be percieved at times.

Me personally, I'm indifferent. If someone compliments me, cool. If someone takes that and starts heavily coming on to me I'll tell them to piss off if they don't respect the fact I'm with someone. There is a difference though.

I know... It's sad that you really have to almost stop and think anymore before you give a simple compliment without having to worry about how people are going to take it... This is part of the reason I love hanging around my latin friends... they just seem to be so much more open as a culture, and don't mind telling you if they like your hair or your eyes or your smile... We both know they aren't meaning it as a come on... they are just saying it to be nice... they are also however more likely to tell you that your house is dirty or that your cooking hasn't been so fabulous lately... At least with my friends... Oh well... I'll take the honesty :)... and btw... LOVE the beard! Not hitting on you or trying to be creepy... just sayin :)
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I make an effort to find something I might compliment someone with.
  • ComicBookGeekGirl
    Options
    I dunno. Send me a compliment and I'll tell you if its creepy or sweet! :wink:

If you are sincere, than it should come across as sweet. If you undress them with your eyes, while saying it, than it becomes creepy. I'm sure people apperciate it when you say something nice to them.:flowerforyou:
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    the Creepiness of a compliment is directly relative to how Attractive You find the giver of the compliment.

C = A+Y
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Your red hair is ah-mazing....
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    depends.
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    Having been sexually harassed at work, I'm going to say that it totally depends on the person, the intent and the circumstances.
  • Krizzo87
    Krizzo87 Posts: 14,186 Member
    Options
    the Creepiness of a compliment is directly relative to how Attractive You find the giver of the compliment.

C = A+Y

So..........all those compliments I give you on a daily basis? :huh: :bigsmile:
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options

C = A+Y

I haven't blocked you yet have I :flowerforyou:
  • Krizzo87
    Krizzo87 Posts: 14,186 Member
    Options

C = A+Y

I haven't blocked you yet have I :flowerforyou:

Touche, sir, touche!! I guess I'll keep em comin!!! :bigsmile:
  • Canuck_TriFit
    Canuck_TriFit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Random compliments are fine as long as they aren't too personal.
  • ashtynplatt
    ashtynplatt Posts: 364
    Options
    If it is from a creeper and he is innappropriate, it is creepy. But if it is from a girl or a nice guy then it's awesome and it makes my day!
  • lg3703
    lg3703 Posts: 190
    Options
    Well I give them out all the time. If I think someone is beautiful or has a amazing feature I say it- I'm pretty secure ... So if you get one from me.. I'm happily married (20 yrs) and I'm NOT trying to pick you up. :love:
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options

C = A+Y

While I know this is ture for people hittiing on you... would you also say it applies to someone who is abviously not trying to hit on you, just give you a compliment? Like a little old lady at the grocery store?
  • lisasch67
    lisasch67 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have mixed feelings about them. Sometimes they're great, but other times it just feels creepy. When I am in a relationship, I feel just feel weird about them. But a compliment is a compliment, so I usually enjoy them at face value.
  • Sissy4EverX3
    Sissy4EverX3 Posts: 247
    Options
    Online? I usually ignore them, unless they're from MFP. In person? Love them. Especially those from people who haven't seen me since I weighed 365lbs.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I think it depends on how you word things, your tone, your body language, etc. I compliment people all the time on their hair, jewelry, etc. Most people like to receive compliments and don't take it as creepy. However, there is a fine line you can cross (if you go on and on and on about something) and then you are either seen as a) creepy or b) flirting. And while flirting may be okay, be cautious because you may make an innocent compliment and they may take it wrong.
  • MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Not creepy :)
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I appreciate getting random compliments and I like giving random compliments.