50 shades of grey....

Options
SammyW89
SammyW89 Posts: 15 Member
I've just finished reading the 3 books and wondered if anyone one else had read them or was thinking of reading them.
Personally, I really enjoyed them and would have liked them without as much graphic sex, the underlying story was gripping and the devotion and love between the main characters made me wish my boyfriend (who is wonderful) was more like Mr Grey...

Obviously, I'm not complaining about the sex bits... I just wish people and reviews could look past them and take them in context...

Replies

• ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
  • LisaH1967
    LisaH1967 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I loved all three books. Seems as you and I are a lot alike. The sex was a little graphic and a LOT of it. Jealousy???? Maybe. lol Anywho, I loved the storyline and the love/passion between Ana and Christian. Wish my hubby and I were more like that.
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    The books are terrible, in my opinion. But addictive. The author knows how to make you want to keep reading. However, Grey as a character is horrible. I don't really understand how all the girls are like, "Ooo Greeeyyy. So dreamy and perfect!" Okay, handsome and rich I get, but also controlling with a crap ton of baggage, and kind of a suffocating jerk. I'm not sure how that's appealing at all. Also Ana always gives into to everything, despite her being a "different sort of character who will stand her ground".

Ana had the potential to being a really cool character, until she kept giving into everything just because he sexed her and gave her googly eyes. Geez, it's just kind of demeaning.

Edit: Also, I might be the only female in the world who has read this and thinks this way. Feel free to disagree with me, this is just my two cents.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    The books are terrible, in my opinion. But addictive. The author knows how to make you want to keep reading. However, Grey as a character is horrible. I don't really understand how all the girls are like, "Ooo Greeeyyy. So dreamy and perfect!" Okay, handsome and rich I get, but also controlling with a crap ton of baggage, and kind of a suffocating jerk. I'm not sure how that's appealing at all. Also Ana always gives into to everything, despite her being a "different sort of character who will stand her ground".

Ana had the potential to being a really cool character, until she kept giving into everything just because he sexed her and gave her googly eyes. Geez, it's just kind of demeaning.

Edit: Also, I might be the only female in the world who has read this and thinks this way. Feel free to disagree with me, this is just my two cents.

Nope I totally agree. I could have done without so much sex. I didn't understand why being with a controlling jerkwad was so great. I think the last book was the best though, there was more of a storyline.
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options
    I feel a bit sorry for all the wonderful men out there whose partners wish they were "a little more like Christian Grey".
  • SammyW89
    Options
    I get the addictive bit totally and the too much sex....

read all three so fast. and I think the Mr. grey fantasy is possibly the whole taming a bad boy thing. Saving him from his troubled past and making him realise he's worth what he has..

If it was a real life situation, I wouldn't have stuck around once he got all possessive and sulky. really annoying traits.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I see this book the same way I see all romance novels.

IQ sucking black holes encouraging unhealthy perspectives on what relationships should be.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

Damn, beat me to it! :laugh:
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options

IQ sucking black holes encouraging unhealthy perspectives on what relationships should be.

As always, you say it perfectly!!
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I'm reading them on the sneak in e-book form. haha. It's addicting, yet crappy because the story line is practically IDENTICAL to fricken Twilight. And I've read better sexy times.
  • SammyW89
    Options

They pass the time on the daily commute..
    Don't need to focus on a complicated storyline.
  • tasiamere
    tasiamere Posts: 233
    Options
    Starting the series tonight!
  • paulsmisses
    paulsmisses Posts: 178
    Options
    i loved the books, read all three TWICE now! did wonders for hubby and i's sex life and i enjoyed reading them, no complaints from this house!
  • colene617
    colene617 Posts: 2
    Options
    Nylee - I agree with you. I could barely make it thru the first ones for the same reasons you list. I didn't even bother 2 & 3.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I've just finished reading the 3 books and wondered if anyone one else had read them or was thinking of reading them.
    Personally, I really enjoyed them and would have liked them without as much graphic sex, the underlying story was gripping and the devotion and love between the main characters made me wish my boyfriend (who is wonderful) was more like Mr Grey...

Obviously, I'm not complaining about the sex bits... I just wish people and reviews could look past them and take them in context...

I got bored after the first page, its just that the contents of the book were things that were done in High School...
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Cherise Sinclair's books are so very much better!!! Try the Dom's of Shadowland series and anything else she has written. So Very much better!
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Tattoos_and_Tea Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I started reading this book yesterday and im on chapter 10. Its pretty good. I feel a little embarrassed when reading it though lol.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I haven't read the books (downloaded the preview and was bored to tears by it) but from what I've been seeing and hearing from others, they totally agree with you. Hated the characters, thought the writing and story were HORRIBLE, but enjoyed the sex.
  • croberson8711
    Options
    I tried reading the first one, and I just couldn't finish. I'm by no means a literary snob, but the writing was just BAD.
  • NeverGoingToQuit
    NeverGoingToQuit Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I loved them. I read them on my way to and from vacation. I loved them, the sex, the drama, the underlying story, the way Ana helped change Grey(make him see a different view is how I feel). I don't wish my boyfriend was like him, but I really liked the book.